Tain Quartet. :D
Top - Corona Ti 18650
Left - Aura Ti AA
Right - Thud TixMokume 16340
Bottom - Zenith Damascus 16340

25268736994_7832f97393_b.jpg

jonwkng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, a beautiful posterior has been the downfall of many a flashaholic...
Look away! :p

25816253731_c6e26ec528_b.jpg

RUSH FAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Question to all you who have tritium vials in the lights, how are you able to photograph the glow in what appears like normal light levels in the room? I have to take pictures of my Tain in close to dark room settings to get a good picture. I am of course just using my Android phone camera. I take it you are using expensive cameras ?

59ride

Enlightened
i take my pics in a dark room, with a long exposure of around 15 seconds and flash a light at the ceiling for 2 seconds just to help accentuate the metal

RUSH FAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah, that's the secret! Thank you sir!
i take my pics in a dark room, with a long exposure of around 15 seconds and flash a light at the ceiling for 2 seconds just to help accentuate the metal

jonwkng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Question to all you who have tritium vials in the lights, how are you able to photograph the glow in what appears like normal light levels in the room? I have to take pictures of my Tain in close to dark room settings to get a good picture. I am of course just using my Android phone camera. I take it you are using expensive cameras ?

Hi RUSH FAN,

It is easier to do trit shots with a digital DLR in manual mode on a tripod - lower your ISO sensitivity to as low as you can (to minimize noise). Go to a small aperture to increase depth of field (so that the whole light or most of it appears in focus). From there, adjust your shutter speed to get proper exposure. It is possible to use ND filters also if you know what you are doing. Or you could underexpose and do light painting or ceiling bounce. Most cameras have problems with autofocus in close to absolute darkness and noise becomes an issue too, so use manual focus.

For mobile phones, it is more tricky, but not impossible. First is stablility. Most of us will find it difficult to steadily hold a phone at shutter speed longer than 1/2s unless you have terrific breathing control or hands of a sniper. :p A bean bag or tripod mount adaptor is strongly recommended. For Android phones, there are a few camera apps that allow for manual control. As little as 1-2s exposure will suffice for trit shots. Most of the time you will run into overexposure problems - phone cameras don't do very well in the dark and usually struggle to autofocus in dim lighting (which is what you need for good trit shots), but the phone camera also needs sufficient light to even focus properly.

In summary, for good trit shots, adequate long exposure time (e.g. 30s lets way more light in vs 1s) is important, balanced against ambient light, aperture size (f4 lets more light in vs f11, but depth of field or in focus bits decrease) and ISO sensitivity (increasing ISO increases noise, generally best to keep low).

Hope this helps everyone get nice trit shots! :) A little off-topic I suppose, but taking nice trit shots is always relevant to "Tain Tribute" photos.

Last edited:

RUSH FAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
^^^^^^^^Thanks Jonathan for that very detailed and thorough guideline! ^^^^^^^^^^

dlmorgan999

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most cameras have problems with autofocus in close to absolute darkness and noise becomes an issue too, so use manual focus.
My secret for doing this is to turn on a bright light, then half press the shutter button, to get the camera to autofocus. From there, I continue holding the button while I turn off the light source, then I fully press the button to start the shot.

In summary, for good trit shots, adequate long exposure time (e.g. 30s lets way more light in vs 1s) is important, balanced against ambient light, aperture size (f4 lets more light in vs f11, but depth of field or in focus bits decrease) and ISO sensitivity (increasing ISO increases noise, generally best to keep low).
A good summary Jon! For what it's worth, early on when I was taking trit shots, I was doing 30 second exposures. I kept finding that the colors were way over-saturated and I couldn't figure out why. After talking with a friend who is very good at photography, he pointed out that the shutter was likely open for too long, and since the trits are actually a light source, it was causing a problem. I gradually dialed back my exposure time. Now I normally use 15 seconds and it seems to work quite well.

Regarding aperture, most lenses have a "sweet spot" where the image is the sharpest. For many lenses (mine included), this is somewhere in the f8 - f11 range. It's definitely a challenge balancing sharpness against desired depth of field, but unless I need more depth, I normally use that range. I'll also mention that depth of field is related to the focal length of the lens, so the settings on my 40mm vs 105mm lens are different. The depth of field on my 105mm lens is VERY limited at the distances I'm normally shooting, so I normally use that only for my extreme closeup shots.

So in summary, at least for me, yes, I'm using an expensive camera. ;)

Last edited:

RUSH FAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
DMorgan999-
...and you do take awesome pictures of your great collection!...

stingray3

Enlightened

I am by no means a photographer at all. What I do to get pics of my trits glowing like I did on my Spy's was leave the lights on in the room and hold a black light strip light above the spys. The black light really highlights the glow of the trits in a lit up room. The pics turn out good.