Test/Review of Charger Opus BT-C3100 V2.1

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
The analyzing features are nice, I have already been able to pick out one bad cell (just a cheap Trustfire so no big shock here) and confirmed that even after 20 months use in my EDC (with lots of 500 lumen burst mode use) my Zebralight 14500 cell still has about 760 mAh of capacity, not too far down off the rated 880 mAh for that much use.

Last edited:

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
No.
The supplied power supply is 3A and doing an average of my measured current for the first 15 minutes gives 2.2A.
With NiMH the average is 1.3A

Thanks for the measurements -
here's a more simple minded explanation -
4x NiMH AA @ 1Amp charge current each is 4x 1.2V x 1A = 4.8watts
(to perhaps 6watts max - these are worst possible cases where if it were theoretically possible for the cells to start at 0 Volts!!!)

The power supply is rated for 3Amps BUT @ 12Volts = 3Ax12V = 36watts
so the power supply should be more than adequate to charge 4x NiMH AA batteries.

I would have thought it was adequate for 2Amps for 4x NiMH AA -
but seems from HKJ's figures it probably would not for the first 15mins -
but it ought to be able to support a charge current of 1.2+Amps for 4x NiMH AA.

HKJ

Flashaholic
Thanks for the measurements -
here's a more simple minded explanation -
4x NiMH AA @ 1Amp charge current each is 4x 1.2V x 1A = 4.8watts
(to perhaps 6watts max - these are worst possible cases where if it were theoretically possible for the cells to start at 0 Volts!!!)

The power supply is rated for 3Amps BUT @ 12Volts = 3Ax12V = 36watts
so the power supply should be more than adequate to charge 4x NiMH AA batteries.

You did not read the 3. line in my reply, that contains the current reading for NiMH.

When charging NiMH the voltage is up to 1.5 volt, i.e. you are charging 6 watt to charge.into the batteries, not 4.8 watt.

Also note that my current calculation was for the first 15 minutes, but the highest current will be drawn just before the charger starts reducing the charge current, at least if the converter inside the charger has the same efficiency.

I could easily add a "Average DC current" trace, but I believe that there is already to many traces in the chart.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
You did not read the 3. line in my reply, that contains the current reading for NiMH.

When charging NiMH the voltage is up to 1.5 volt, i.e. you are charging 6 watt to charge.into the batteries, not 4.8 watt.

Also note that my current calculation was for the first 15 minutes, but the highest current will be drawn just before the charger starts reducing the charge current, at least if the converter inside the charger has the same efficiency.

I could easily add a "Average DC current" trace, but I believe that there is already to many traces in the chart.

HKJ,

Thanks for the response -
yes, I did read your 3rd line in you very helpful reply, thanks -

perhaps you didn't see the last para of my post?
stating where I "thought" the power supply should be able to support charging 4x NiMH AA @ 2A -

re: 4.8watts vs 6watts
(to perhaps 6watts max -

The point was the power supply is rated 36watts
and the max charge for 4x NiMH AA @ 1A is only 6watts.

I just checked my Maha/PowerEx C9000 power supply and it is only rated for 2A @ 12volts - and yet the C9000 can charge 4x NiMH @ 2A.

Thank you for your very helpful thorough reviews and posts.

Last edited:

HKJ

Flashaholic
The maximum power draw from the supply is not when the batteries has 0 volt, but just before the charger stops or reduces current.
0 volt at X amperes only requires -> 0*X -> 0 watt.

The charger has more than enough power to charge at NiMH 2A. It is probably done the way it is to make NiMH and LiIon as equal as possible.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
The maximum power draw from the supply is not when the batteries has 0 volt, but just before the charger stops or reduces current.
0 volt at X amperes only requires -> 0*X -> 0 watt.

The charger has more than enough power to charge at NiMH 2A. It is probably done the way it is to make NiMH and LiIon as equal as possible.

Thanks for the explanation -
perhaps I ought to explain my 0volt comment -
I was thinking in terms of the difference between a "full" battery and one that was "empty" -
I used a theoretical empty battery as 0volts (which I know is not physically possible)

Would you please explain why the current draw on charger power supply is 2.2A for the first 15minutes ?

Thanks

HKJ

Flashaholic
perhaps I ought to explain my 0volt comment -
I was thinking in terms of the difference between a "full" battery and one that was "empty" -
I used a theoretical empty battery as 0volts (which I know is not physically possible)

But as I written before: The maximum power draw is when the battery is nearly full.

Would you please explain why the current draw on charger power supply is 2.2A for the first 15minutes ?

I did an average of the first 1000 data point in my log file, that is the reason that the value is for the first 15 minutes (I log one record each 0.9 second). I could have done the average anywhere in the logfile, but the beginning is easy to find. The end is not usable, except if I want the idle current.

The charger is charging with 1A at about 3.5 volt (LiIon see charge curve in review), this means the charge power is 1A*3.5V*4 -> 14 watt, but it uses 2.2*12 -> 26.4 watt from the power supply

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
But as I written before: The maximum power draw is when the battery is nearly full.

Thank you for that, I understand.

I did an average of the first 1000 data point in my log file, that is the reason that the value is for the first 15 minutes (I log one record each 0.9 second). I could have done the average anywhere in the logfile, but the beginning is easy to find. The end is not usable, except if I want the idle current.

The charger is charging with 1A at about 3.5 volt (LiIon see charge curve in review), this means the charge power is 1A*3.5V*4 -> 14 watt, but it uses 2.2*12 -> 26.4 watt from the power supply

I can see that, it is for LiIon?

For 4x NiMH AA is the initial current draw different, please?

Thanks

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
That was the 3. line I was referring to before, the current draw is 1.3A.

Thank you sorry to appear to be so dense or not reading/comprehending your posts.

So there is no peak current draw for the first 15mins from the power supply when charging 4x NiMH AA?

Therefore it is more than adequate to support even 2A charge current for 4x NiMH?

HKJ

Flashaholic
So there is no peak current draw for the first 15mins from the power supply when charging 4x NiMH AA?

Nothing extraordinary, there is 3A peaks each cycle, but with LiIon it has 6A peaks.

Therefore it is more than adequate to support even 2A charge current for 4x NiMH?

Yes, it has power enough.
In the first version of the charger channel #1 & #4 had a different circuit, but in this version it looks like all channels are the same.
My guess is that it could be changed in software (if the charger has enough cooling).

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nothing extraordinary, there is 3A peaks each cycle, but with LiIon it has 6A peaks.

Yes, it has power enough.
In the first version of the charger channel #1 & #4 had a different circuit, but in this version it looks like all channels are the same.
My guess is that it could be changed in software (if the charger has enough cooling).

Thank you HKJ for your patient replies. Much appreciated.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Can anyone tell me whether the Opus or the Sysmax/Nitecore i4 Intellicharger would be the better one-solution charger?

I have batteries from 10280 > 18650 and a few other points in between.

tatasal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can anyone tell me whether the Opus or the Sysmax/Nitecore i4 Intellicharger would be the better one-solution charger?

The i4 is pure charger only.

The BT-C3100, as seen in HKJ's review in this thread, is a charger/discharger/analyzer and much more. More like a 4-independent channel hobby charger with built-in cradles already.

On the other hand,
for lack of something to do over the weekend, I tested my Panasonic NCR18650B 3400mah cell's discharge capacity:
Charger used to charge cell to 4.2V at 1A rate: Xtar VP2 (both times)(resting voltage at testing: 4.17v)
Discharged via: iCharger 106B+ = 3234mah (at 1A discharge rate, programmed to terminate at 2.8v)
Discharged via: BT-C3100 v2.1 = 3226mah (at 1A discharge rate, terminated at 2.8v)
Difference: 8 mah!

!
!
!

Last edited:

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast

I used to own an I4 (it failed on me though). But I can say after spending some time with the Opus that it is superior to the I4 in many ways. It has to be your call whether or not the additional cost is worth the improvement though.

realista

Enlightened
niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice test TATASAL ! so the quality of testing of this charger is = to an hobby charger. very, but very good !!!!

I RECEIVED THIS CHARGER!!!
i am wondering 1 thing. could i use this charger to TEST the real mah of a smartphone battery?
i should connect + and - poles and do the test. BUT I DON'T KNOW if smarphone batteries do have 4,2 or 4,35 cut off voltage while charging.

something like this http://www.batterymart.com/images/products/alt/usc-002.jpg

and second problem, i should find an adjustable cradles for flat liion cell. i found some cradles chat charges ALL TYPE/BRAND of battery(with adjustable pins), should i consider to buy it opening it, and leave all electronic just to use the basic "cradle" funcion?

Last edited:

tatasal

Flashlight Enthusiast
niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice test TATASAL ! so the quality of testing of this charger is = to an hobby charger. very, but very good !!!!

I RECEIVED THIS CHARGER!!!
i am wondering 1 thing. could i use this charger to TEST the real mah of a smartphone battery?
i should connect + and - poles and do the test. BUT I DON'T KNOW if smarphone batteries do have 4,2 or 4,35 cut off voltage while charging.

something like this http://www.batterymart.com/images/products/alt/usc-002.jpg

and second problem, i should find an adjustable cradles for flat liion cell. i found some cradles chat charges ALL TYPE/BRAND of battery(with adjustable pins), should i consider to buy it opening it, and leave all electronic just to use the basic "cradle" funcion?

Your link can be used as 'cradle-only' for a DIY mah testing, with the wires coming from it connected to the terminals of the 3100 (or a hobby charger.)

I have seen a discussion in BLF regarding newer Samsung smartphone models having 4.35v batteries. All of my old Nokia phones are still 4.2V though.

realista

Enlightened
i have some problems about the configuration of this charger. i don't understand when the work is finished....ecc.
and i think it hase some problems with protected batteries. When i insert a fully charged 18650 protected ( asucell 3000mah yellow) it displays "null".

maybe the protecion circuit disable the cell? i don't understand. i insert this battery, i select DISCHARGE mode, and to start the mode I JUST WAIT some seconds, right? but with this cell nothing appear. i only see "null".