Test/Review of Charger Xtar VC2

curlysir

Newly Enlightened
Just received one of these today and for a small USB powered charger is very good. The charger worked as I expected and described in this review and fully charged and showed full as expected. This charger has worked much better then the Nitecore UM20 I have which will charge the battery fully but would not show that is was complete, the bars were still going up and down on it and it showed 97%, but an inline amperemeter showed the charge was complete.

The Xtar VC2 will be my travel charger.

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Xtar%20VC2%20(AW18350-IMR)%20%231.png

looks like simulated CC/CV profile. or, does not look good.

*if* i ;) measured the following graph on my charger, then that looks like genuine CC/CV profile?

lolfakfj.gif

HKJ

Flashaholic
looks like simulated CC/CV profile. or, does not look good.

It looks fine and you cannot say if it is simulated or not from that curve.

*if* i ;) measured the following graph on my charger, then that looks like genuine CC/CV profile?

lolfakfj.gif

This curve has a very sharp transition from CC to CV, but the chart is misleading, because it is not measured at the battery. It will be a bit more rounded when measured directly at the battery.

Flashy808

Enlightened
Nice Review but could you test it with NiMHs too?

What would you prefer out of the 2: The Nitecore D4 or the Xtar VC4 (kind of need help deciding -need a good 18650 & NiMH charger).
The D4 you can actually select what type of batteries are charging and what mode you want or something like that but whereas the VC4 it does it all automatically (and correctly)?? Right?

Also what USB adapter are you using (I saw the list but I'm just curious)?

Last edited:

HKJ

Flashaholic
Nice Review.

What would you prefer out of the 2: The Nitecore D4 or the Xtar VC4 (kind of need help deciding -need a good 18650 & NiMH charger).
The D4 you can actually select what type of batteries are charging and what mode you want or something like that but whereas the VC4 it does it all automatically (and correctly)?? Right?

I generally prefer the VC4, but the current is too high for 10440 cells. On both chargers you must select current, on VC4 by using the right slot, on D4 by holding the button down.
The technical display on D4 does not show more useful info than VC4, it shows less.

Flashy808

Enlightened
I generally prefer the VC4, but the current is too high for 10440 cells. On both chargers you must select current, on VC4 by using the right slot, on D4 by holding the button down.
The technical display on D4 does not show more useful info than VC4, it shows less.

Oh ok thanks I kind of understand now.

OK I just realised something silly...
The VC2 can't charge NiMH BUT the VC4 CAN now that's just kind of silly... :thumbsdow
But I'm sure there is a good reason like cost and size of hardware needed right??

& What about the USB Adapter?

THANKS

Last edited:

Flashy808

Enlightened
Oh ok thanks I kind of understand now.

OK I just realised something silly...
The VC2 can't charge NiMH BUT the VC4 CAN now that's just kind of silly... :thumbsdow
But I'm sure there is a good reason like cost and size of hardware needed right??

& What about the USB Adapter?

THANKS

Also what USB Adapter do you use?

Do you recommend a regular iPad 12W charger?

Also I would like you to review this Adapter on your website and tell me what you think Please: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005CG2ATQ/?tag=cpf0b6-20

Of course this is all for the VC4 charger.

Thanks for helping a Noob :thumbsup:

Flashy808

Enlightened
At the current time I usb chargers in queue for a couple of months and will not add more chargers to it, before I have reduced the queue significantly.

Oh I see.
Guess that's what it is like being a charger & adapter tester...
Thanks Anyway!

HKJ

Flashaholic
Oh I see.
Guess that's what it is like being a charger & adapter tester...

With the speed I publish reviews I need some queue or I could keep up, but sometimes I get a big box of devices to review from some dealer/manufacturer and the queue gets rather long.
At the current time I am filled up with batteries and usb chargers, last year it was battery chargers and batteries.

HaileStorm

Enlightened
Hi hkj,

Which charger is better, the VC2 or the Nitecore UM10? I will be charging mostly 18650s, 16340s and a 14500 IMR. I also have a few eneloops and it would be a bonus if this charged those as well. Also, can I use the charger that of my old ipad for this?

HKJ

Flashaholic
Hi hkj,

Which charger is better, the VC2 or the Nitecore UM10? I will be charging mostly 18650s, 16340s and a 14500 IMR. I also have a few eneloops and it would be a bonus if this charged those as well. Also, can I use the charger that of my old ipad for this?

I do prefer the VC2, it is dual channel and has a useful display. The UM10 has one advantage: It is considerable faster to charge 18650 cells.
I have seen some rumors that VC2 will get an upgrade later this year to include NiMH, I do not know if it is true.

I expect the iPad charger will be fine.

HaileStorm

Enlightened
Okay, great thank you hkj. How much faster does the um10 charge compared to the vc2?

HaileStorm

Enlightened
Oh all right, not that big a difference when you factor in a second charging bay. I guess I'll be changing my order to the vc2 then. Thanks so much, hkj!

rickwhoo

Newly Enlightened
So will a 5v 2.1a adapter be best for this charger? I just ordered this charger and saw that I need an adapter.

sandalian

Enlightened
Been using this charger for two weeks and sometimes confused with the mAh label shown on the digital display.
My battery is 400 mAh but sometimes it says 0xx mAh and already full.

Does it describe the current capacity of the battery, or else?

HKJ

Flashaholic
Been using this charger for two weeks and sometimes confused with the mAh label shown on the digital display.
My battery is 400 mAh but sometimes it says 0xx mAh and already full.

Does it describe the current capacity of the battery, or else?

It shows how much the charger has put into the battery. If you starts with a nearly full battery it will not be very much.

Latest posts