Test/Review of Charger Xtar VC2

mzil

Enlightened
It shows how much the charger has put into the battery. If you starts with a nearly full battery it will not be very much.
I was bummed to learn this, because otherwise this charger seemed like a good deal for my needs. :( Thanks for the info though.

What's a good, inexpensive charger like this but that actually performs a test to see the true remaining mAh?

HKJ

Flashaholic
I was bummed to learn this, because otherwise this charger seemed like a good deal for my needs. :( Thanks for the info though.

It has its applications. If you start from an empty battery you will get the total capacity else you will get an idea about how far you drained the battery.

What's a good, inexpensive charger like this but that actually performs a test to see the true remaining mAh?

LiitoKala Lii-500 and Opus BT-C3100 is the two most common chargers for measuring capacity.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
It has its applications. If you start from an empty battery you will get the total capacity else you will get an idea about how far you drained the battery.

I actually feel like this is quite a useful feature on my VC4. It's a shame they had to do away with it when they upgraded to the Plus Master.

mzil

Enlightened

LiitoKala Lii-500 and Opus BT-C3100 is the two most common chargers for measuring capacity.
Thank you for all your helpful reviews. I read the Opus BT-C100 review and I think the price is better for me even though it is limited to only one battery.
If I forget or fall asleep and leave a battery in it for many hours after it is fully charged do I damage the battery, the charger, or potentially start a fire?

HKJ

Flashaholic
If I forget or fall asleep and leave a battery in it for many hours after it is fully charged do I damage the battery, the charger, or potentially start a fire?

No, but it is never recommended to leave the batteries in a charger.

OldSage

Newly Enlightened
Re: Test/Review of Charger Xtar VC2 AND questions??

HKJ, thanks for another quality review.
This was the charger ordered (in transit). The slower charging speed is not a real issue most days. Quality of charger is.
Looked at the PlusMaster version, but in no need for another NiMh "smart" charger and USB power source.
You note for the + version a lower termination current would be better. What is considered an ideal termination current?

Clicked over to your power source review page. Now you have me scared/paranoid about my drawerful of probably junky back up power sources. Time for the trash bin. Do use Anker brand USB power sources. Including the 5-port you reviewed. The older model. Like your friends unit have lost one port.

Last edited:

scviper576

Newly Enlightened
I am trying to find out why 1 of my batteries caused a reduction in amps going in? This happened with 2 of my batteries the first time it was .2a and the second it was .3a when I remove that battery the other would charge at .5a. All the batteries being charged are LG HG2

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am trying to find out why 1 of my batteries caused a reduction in amps going in? This happened with 2 of my batteries the first time it was .2a and the second it was .3a when I remove that battery the other would charge at .5a. All the batteries being charged are LG HG2

Are you using a cheap power supply, or is your power supply going bad?

Chris

scviper576

Newly Enlightened
I tried 2 different power supplys to make sure and both do the same. If I pull out the battery that is causing the drop in amps it goes back to .5a the first charger is a Samsung 2.0a and the second is an Asus 2.0a.

Last edited: