Test/Review of Charger Xtar VP2

ven

Flashaholic
I have a vp2 on the way,UK price from my supplier 1st class post £30 which imo is good.Thanks you again :twothumbs

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do believe that some vapors are reading my battery test and probably also charger test.

I know they do because I've been on some E-cig boards where they've linked your site.

There's also some other guy in Germany that does tests for these cells/chargers in a similar fashion and I've seen links to his data as well.

I think that you're a bit more thorough, however and I like your presentations better!

Keep up the good work and enjoy your fame!

Chris

ven

Flashaholic
I am an ecig guy nd tbh don't push it as find I get good vape from 4.0v from a 2.0ohm aty,pany 3400 etc are fine,have many samsung ,pany,sany cells specifically for my mods.

Tried buildables bit too much faffing,so I meet in middle ,decent mod and tank,decent fluid Nd happy with results as now 18months cig free.Its a hobby in itself regarding cells ,mods,tanks etc

I run this of mainly pany 3400 along with LG ,after a day I top cells off on sp1 at 1A and done within 20-30 mins.Rotate cells of the 6 I keep in cupboard .

So I will use the vp2 along with the sp1 for my mod cells
lg

may try some 4.35v soon too:twothumbs

TEEJ

Flashaholic
My pocket 445 nm laser can light a cigarette about 10' away. :devil:

:)

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
From what I gathered via my limited reading is once you go sub ohm, even down to .2 and .1 ohms, that is a threshold where a lot of cells will be taxed heavily and where E-cig guys get separated from the 'casual/conservative' li-ion users into the hardcore pioneers.

It was an interesting, albeit limited, read.

Chris

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review. This looks like another great charger from Xtar and also has included more functionality that users were requesting/hoping for. Your reviews are very thorough and helpful, HKJ.

oKtosiTe

Enlightened
Thanks for the review. This looks like another great charger from Xtar and also has included more functionality that users were requesting/hoping for. Your reviews are very thorough and helpful, HKJ.
Heh, I was requesting almost exactly this charger on their Facebook page about a year ago. Pleasantly surprised they added the voltage switch on top of what otherwise matches my request perfectly. :D

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
So with the termination current on the 0.25A setting being on the high side, does this mean 16340 cells won't be fully charged? I noticed mine drop down to about 4.16 pretty quick after the light goes green. I attributed it to the fact that the cells are about 2 years old.

HKJ

Flashaholic
So with the termination current on the 0.25A setting being on the high side, does this mean 16340 cells won't be fully charged? I noticed mine drop down to about 4.16 pretty quick after the light goes green. I attributed it to the fact that the cells are about 2 years old.

Yes, but it is a very small difference, probably in the range of 1% to 2% capacity. Very few chargers has a low enough termination current for small cells.

I did some test with 18650 batteries and termination current here: http://lygte-info.dk/info/BatteryChargeVoltageCurrent UK.html I hope to expand on this later on.
Originally the idea was to do that when my 2012 battery test was finished, but it is not finished yet after nearly 2½ year. Today I have more equipment and may be able to use some other equipment for this test.

Last edited:

candle lamp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excellent test review as always. HKJ! :thumbsup:

Thanks a lot for your time and effort.

Just a shame that the charger drains batteries fairly quickly while using the USB output. :thinking: Is it difficult for Xtar to upgrade the charger not to do that in the future?

HKJ

Flashaholic
Just a shame that the charger drains batteries fairly quickly while using the USB output. :thinking: Is it difficult for Xtar to upgrade the charger not to do that in the future?

I do not really see it as a big problem with a charger, it is very easy to add/remove the battery. For short trips (i.e. a few days) you can leave the batteries in. For longer trips it is necessary to store the batteries outside the charger.
With a usb power box, this would have been a big no-no.

It would probably not be that difficult to change the circuit to less reduce the current draw, but it would probably require a couple of internal test version of the charge hardware before it is working perfectly, i.e. it is not something I would expect get fixed within the next couple of months.

candle lamp

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do not really see it as a big problem with a charger, it is very easy to add/remove the battery. For short trips (i.e. a few days) you can leave the batteries in. For longer trips it is necessary to store the batteries outside the charger.
With a usb power box, this would have been a big no-no.

It would probably not be that difficult to change the circuit to less reduce the current draw, but it would probably require a couple of internal test version of the charge hardware before it is working perfectly, i.e. it is not something I would expect get fixed within the next couple of months.

I agree with you completely. It's not an big issue and negligible. Just expected Xtar could release the perfect charger, becuase the maker is Xtar. I like the charger. :)

ven

Flashaholic
Well arrived today and its fantastic,love the display as not used to that,very useful,1st impression........totally wicked:devil:

:twothumbsthanks again for your time ,all your informative excellent reviews

RetroTechie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Many thanks HKJ as always you excellent reviews are greatly appreciated:thumbsup:
+1 :twothumbs

So with the termination current on the 0.25A setting being on the high side, does this mean 16340 cells won't be fully charged?
That's might be a plus as it would make cells last longer (as in: cycle/calendar life). Which imho is a good thing considering the (generally) poor-to-mediocre quality of small cells like 16340. As HKJ said, there's few chargers that are 'perfect' for small cells. And once you get into the CV part of the charge curve, you're up to the last few % of charging anyway.

A discharge test to check capacity would also be sweet.
mAh counting during charge, and a discharge function doing the same... That would practically make it an analyzing charger. Since we're talking Li-ions here, no (or not much) point for additional functions like a Maha MH-C9000 has. And yes a few more slots never hurt. :)

My Enedepots A8 covers all my Li-ion charging needs for the moment. But if I were in the market for a new Li-ion charger, this VP2 would be on top of my list.

I do believe that some vapors are reading my battery test and probably also charger test.
I do believe some of us are buying batteries and/or chargers from e-vape shops. I know I have, for some of my battery purchases. So there's definitely overlap between flashlight users & e-vapers!
:grouphug:

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I went to dinner last night and as we were walking to the market afterwards, I could see a sign 'Vaper Paradise' and it was brand new. I told the GF to hang on and I popped in. This is the second Vaper store to open in my little neighborhood and I asked if the guy sold batteries for his units. The first guy just had the self-contained units (???).

He first showed me the self contained units, like the other guy did and started mumbling about something as I was explaining bare cells to him. My eyes scanned the case and I saw a grey 18350, or 16340 sitting on the bottom shelf...bingo a Crap-Fire, but then...lo and behold, there are some lime-ish green 18650s...Panasonics from the look of the font.

I started asking and he already had one of those out of the display...NRC18650PFs for $12.99 + 7% tax. He was just the manager and we started talking about that TrustFire and he was already realizing that there are fakes and just bad batteries out there, unlike Duracells and Energizers in the market next door.

The only thing that spooked me about the Pannie PFs, is that their wrapper was more of a 'lime green' and not more of a green green, like my NCR-As.

He seemed to say that they're getting them from a good source and not just some guy on the street corner, but if anybody has genuine NCR PF 2900 hybrids, are they more in line with the typical Panasonic 'green' or are they more of a lime green/chartreuse?

Anyhow, I might go back and visit with him again and see what else he has. I'm pretty good on li-ions right now, but one can never have too many, lol.

Chris

ven

Flashaholic
Yes some vape places are not too well up on cells/chargers,in fact i had to educate my local shop/s a little as in general(from what i have found with 2 franchises anyway) is they know their tanks/ecigs a bit(not that much) ,cells a little and chargers less so.Lots come with ultrafire chargers.

Even provari kits come with $5 *****fire chargers but usually AW cells.

Totally Wicked use samsung(pink) and panasonic 3100 and 3400 cells in UK,one on right (3400)just has their sticker over it. Not cheap too from shop,around $20 equivalent..... They also stock some more unusual,maybe specific for their products like 16650 sanyo 2500mah (have a look on their site).

My next cells will be PFs i think:thumbsup:

PS- I have just been using the vp2 charging lots of cells,well topping off to be more precise ,maybe 16 or so for some lights for a camping trip.
Works very well,its the display that really works for me,actaully seeing the voltage...........fantastic.

Charging up some spares for the v11r,so 16340 i could not change each lane as had on 1A for the 18650s,yes could have 0.5A them so just waited and charged the 16340s after.No biggie at all,would be nice though to have that option for smaller cells,so could have say a 10440 and 18650 ,0.25A and 1A for example unless i am missing something???

:thumbsup:

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Charging up some spares for the v11r,so 16340 i could not change each lane as had on 1A for the 18650s,yes could have 0.5A them so just waited and charged the 16340s after.No biggie at all,would be nice though to have that option for smaller cells,so could have say a 10440 and 18650 ,0.25A and 1A for example unless i am missing something???

:thumbsup:

I'm a bit confused. Did you charge up your 16340s at 1A because that's what Bay 1 was charging up your 18650 at?

I'm now charging up all of my 16340s, along with my seldom used 10440s, at 250mA. My AWs are still working well, despite being charged up on my WP2 II at 500mA for many months, but with this new batch of Kinokos and my AWs going forward, it's 250mA for me.

My 14500s and even my 17670s (16650 Sanyos) I'm using 500mA and then for the 18650s, it's 1A.

Time's not a big issue for me, as I have lots of spares.

Chris