Test/Review of Charger Xtar VP2

HKJ

Flashaholic
would be nice though to have that option for smaller cells,so could have say a 10440 and 18650 ,0.25A and 1A for example unless i am missing something???

I agree, that would be nice, but would require a new display for the charger (A custom display is an expensive part to develop).
It would also make the user interface slightly more demanding, i.e. you would have to select the correct current, before putting the cell in the charger. With the current model you can just put the cell in and later adjust the current.

The LiitoKala has two slots with independent settings (That charger focus on other functions than VP2).

ven

Flashaholic
No Chris,only my 18650s,i could not charge a 16340 next to it unless i dropped to 0.5A,just would be useful to be able to change each channel charge rate independently.

I use 0.5A for my 16340 generally,its lower than what i was using before from my i4 which iirc on 1 or 2 its 0.75A.

ven

Flashaholic
I agree, that would be nice, but would require a new display for the charger (A custom display is an expensive part to develop).
It would also make the user interface slightly more demanding, i.e. you would have to select the correct current, before putting the cell in the charger. With the current model you can just put the cell in and later adjust the current.

The LiitoKala has two slots with independent settings (That charger focus on other functions than VP2).

Yes true,good point as UI is very important and needs to be kept as user friendly as possible as well as cost.

I am a little disappointed with the new nitecore d2 and d4 as no 4.35 support,i hope for a vp4:twothumbs or vp6:twothumbs that would be pretty much perfection but the option of 2 channels on one charge setting, the other 2 on another(just an example for a 4 channel charger). So 1+2 could be 0.25 and 3+4 @2A for example.

HKJ

Flashaholic
I am a little disappointed with the new nitecore d2 and d4 as no 4.35 support,i hope for a vp4:twothumbs or vp6:twothumbs that would be pretty much perfection but the option of 2 channels on one charge setting, the other 2 on another(just an example for a 4 channel charger). So 1+2 could be 0.25 and 3+4 @2A for example.

I am more disappointed about the low charge current, I prefer 1A for 18650 and some lower settings for smaller batteries. My favourites would probably be something like:
2 settings: 1A and 0.3A
3 settings: 1A, 0.5A, 0.25A or maybe 1A, 0.3A, 0.1A
4 settings: 1A, 0.5A, 0.25A, 0.1A

I do not like the idea with different current in different slots, if I have four slots I want the possibility to charge 4 18650 at once with full current.
Soshine did try to make it, but did not do it correctly: http://lygte-info.dk/review/Review Charger Soshine SC-S1mix V3 UK.html

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
Thanks HKJ for the link/review,yes 4 settings would be great,especially a low 0.1A setting for 10180 cells for example,lots of flexibility there.

Hopefully not too far away a similar charger to the vp2 but with more bays and a lower low:thumbsup:

I guess i could buy another vp2 of course:)(which i may just do if nothing in pipe line this year)

HKJ

Flashaholic
yes 4 settings would be great,especially a low 0.1A setting for 10180 cells for example,lots of flexibility there.

Exactly, I have many lights with 10180 and other small LiIon batteries and I would like to get a cradle charger, instead of magnet connections.

(which i may just do if nothing in pipe line this year)

I know there is one analyzing charger on the way, but I do not know the specifications. I have not heard about other interesting chargers (But I do not know or hear everything).

ven

Flashaholic
Well that is some good news,look forward to your review:twothumbs

Now i have been spoilt with the vp2 display i am sold now , nothing else will do!! :laughing: .

RetroTechie

Flashlight Enthusiast
3 settings: 1A, 0.5A, 0.25A or maybe 1A, 0.3A, 0.1A
Yeah, limited # of settings but bigger range would be nice. Say 1.5A, 0.4A, 0.1A (or thereabouts).

I do not like the idea with different current in different slots
Second that. As a 'technical user' I don't quickly have enough settings to fiddle with. ;) But from a UI perspective, more settings often isn't better. One button to select a charge rate that applies to all channels at once, is definitely more user-friendly. Same with voltage selection.

For NiMH's, there's the Maha charger. For mixed NiMH / Li-ion use, there's the multi-chemistry chargers like Intellicharger i4 or similar. You have extensive enough charging 'needs' that you want to charge Li-ions at different voltage, and/or different charge rates, simultaneously? Simple - buy more chargers.

ven

Flashaholic
Yeah, limited # of settings but bigger range would be nice. Say 1.5A, 0.4A, 0.1A (or thereabouts).

Simple - buy more chargers.

Yes looks that is the only way right now,having for example 4 slots at all different settings would complicate the UI but to have 1+2 at say 1A and 3+4 at 0.1A i would like.

This way i could still charge a 10180 whilst i have 1 or 2 18650s in the other 2 slots 3+4 (just examples)

But yep,maybe another vp2 is on the cards,does almost everything i need apart from the very low setting ,so 2 chargers would suit my needs.Just be better for me with 1 plug,1 unit but again just my personal preference for ease(for me).

Soon there will be more chargers than appliances on the kitchen side :laughing: .........

lagman

Newly Enlightened
I find it very confusing that the 3.6V setting charges to 4.2V.
It would be better if they had a 3.6V setting that charges to 4.1V and a 3.7V setting that charges to 4.2V.
This mistake may cause people to charge old 3.6V batteries to 4.2V which is not good...

mr.snakeman

Enlightened
Exactly, I have many lights with 10180 and other small LiIon batteries and I would like to get a cradle charger, instead of magnet connections.
Steve Ku has a usb cradle charger for the 10180, mine works great! I´ve been using my new VR2 a couple of days now and have been topping up all my 16340s and 14500s (AW black and orange IMRs) and they all top off in the high 4.18s or low 4.19 (measured with a lab quality DVM). This holds true for my 18650s (AW and Samsung) as well. my LiFePO4s are topping out at 3.34-3.35v.. This is going to be my main charger from now on, except for my small cells (10440 and smaller).

HKJ

Flashaholic
Steve Ku has a usb cradle charger for the 10180, mine works great!

And what about 10280 and 14250 and maybe some other? I do have many small lights with LiIon batteries.
At the current time the most popular is definitely the 10180, but it can change again.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
And what about 10280 and 14250 and maybe some other? I do have many small lights with LiIon batteries.
At the current time the most popular is definitely the 10180, but it can change again.

I use cottonpicker's octacharger for the wee cells for example, as it can even charge at sub-100 ma levels if needed, which I use for some of the really teeny things, such as for the HF etc.

:D

mr.snakeman

Enlightened
I am using a Cottonpickers 3 step charger for the other sizes. Runs on one of the usb slots on my laptop which is always beside me at home: total control. With these three chargers I can charge all of my Li-Ion batteries. A separate dedicated charger for my NiMH batteries and everything is covered.

HKJ

Flashaholic
I do also have some Cottonpickers chargers and do use some of them for small batteries, but it would be much better to have everything in one cradle charger. But a spacer would probably be required for the small cells.

mr.snakeman

Enlightened
I can understand that, considering the time and energy you spend with all your testing and such. I haven´t seen or heard of any such charger, just how big is the 10180 (et.al) market, right?

HKJ

Flashaholic
just how big is the 10180 (et.al) market, right?

That is the question, some of the successful custom builders uses them and I have also got lights from some of the Chinese dealers that uses them.

Here are a few of them:
DSC_5247.jpg

TEEJ

Flashaholic
What brand of laser are you using and where did you buy it from? Not WickedLasers right? Expensive...

LOL

Wicked Lasers are - from what I can tell/heard, a rip off.

Tmack made mine, the 445 mentined is in an MS Envy host...~ 3 watts of angry blue burning power, that I can slip into a pant pocket and use as a laser pointer.

HJK - Sweet lights!

BTW - I didn't see have you tested cottonpicker's octacharger?