ALW248

Newly Enlightened
Thanks!

So high power AA rechargeable batteries:
Sanyo Eneloop NiMH LSD
Elite NiMH
PowerGenix NiZn

Anything else?

The OEM of Elite must also sell to brands other than Elite, right?

Can good NiCd outputs more power?

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
WOW, what a most excellent thread. I love the diversity of your graphs, and what they show. I saved a complete offline copy of this with my Firefox Scrapbook plugin for offline viewing. Thanks for all the enormous time and detail work to get useful displays all together. Big thanks to James also for all those rescued posts.

Well deserved to be listed in the pinned Threads of Interest !!!!!!!!!

Battery Guy

Enlightened
Thanks!

So high power AA rechargeable batteries:
Sanyo Eneloop NiMH LSD
Elite NiMH
PowerGenix NiZn

Anything else?

Apparently the Elite 1700s are no longer available. The manufacturer made a change to the cells that resulted in a decrease in performance. However, I just ordered the new Elite 2000 AA cells, and hope to have those tested this week.

Although the PowerGenix can provide a lot of power, these cells are inconsistent and tend to be unreliable. Also, PowerGenix is out of the AA business, so there is no good reason to invest in these cells if you haven't done so already.

The OEM of Elite must also sell to brands other than Elite, right?

One would think so, but perhaps not as loose cells.

Can good NiCd outputs more power?

You might find a high power NiCd that is better than the eneloop, but I have not seen anything that can compete with the Elite 1700s. But you will sacrifice a lot of capacity by going to a NiCd.

Cheers,
BG

Battery Guy

Enlightened
WOW, what a most excellent thread. I love the diversity of your graphs, and what they show. I saved a complete offline copy of this with my Firefox Scrapbook plugin for offline viewing. Thanks for all the enormous time and detail work to get useful displays all together. Big thanks to James also for all those rescued posts.

Well deserved to be listed in the pinned Threads of Interest !!!!!!!!!

Thanks Lux! Much appreciated.

I hope to have the new Elite 2000s added by the end of the week.

ALW248

Newly Enlightened
Apparently the Elite 1700s are no longer available. The manufacturer made a change to the cells that resulted in a decrease in performance. However, I just ordered the new Elite 2000 AA cells, and hope to have those tested this week.

You might find a high power NiCd that is better than the eneloop, but I have not seen anything that can compete with the Elite 1700s. But you will sacrifice a lot of capacity by going to a NiCd.

If a good NiCd can also last more years than Eneloop, then NiCd can be used in applications that short run time can be tolerated.

Eneloop Lite is also interesting, if it can output more power, and last more years, than 2Ah Eneloop.

Looking forward to your testing of the new Elite.

Thanks a lot!

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
BG, I remember Mike @ CBP telling me that the "Elite" brand is his brand. I have never heard of whoever is making them (in China) for him rebranding the same cells under another name. Not sure outside of RC and Flashlight nuts who would need such a high amp output, and be willing to put up with the (relatively) fast self-discharge rate as a downside. Most RC have switched over to a "safe" lithium ion chemistry.

jd_oc

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the update. Hope you had a good vacation. Looking forward to the new tests.

Battery Guy

Enlightened
Thanks for the update. Hope you had a good vacation. Looking forward to the new tests.

I am looking forward to the test results too! Unfortunately, I have been slammed at work since returning from my travels (I wouldn't exactly call it a vacation). I hope to get these on test by the end of the week.

lightseeker2009

Enlightened
Have nobody ever tested and compared a Turnigy 2200mah LSD AA to other AA's?
I bought a few of them and they compare very good to very popular batteries. Very unscientifically but still, I've compared the Turnigy to an Eneloop and an Energizer 2000. I connected it to a LED and surprise surprise, the Turnigy did deliver a bit more power to the LED than the Eneloop...
I have fully charged some Eneloops and Turnigys and will leave them in my safe for 6 months. I want to see just what will be the difference between the two after 6 months. With one set I want to see exactly how long it will take my Maha 8008 to charge them to full capacity.
Now its just for the 6 months to pass.

lightseeker2009

Enlightened
I will post some links from rcgroups.com tomorrow when I'm back at work. The batteries were tested and found to exceed expectations. They all tested a real world 2200+mah. Its strange that they are not more popular then they are. I would love to see them included in your tests

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
......The batteries were tested and found to exceed expectations. They all tested a real world 2200+mah. Its strange that they are not more popular then they are......

I have no experience with the Turnigy cells, but in the past some of the Chinese LSD cells have been tested and initially shown slightly higher capacity than eneloops. I'm not sure they were able to rival the enloopps as far as holding voltage under load (Power), however. Anyway, after some cycling these cells lost any advantage they initially had over the eneloops, as well as loosing some of their LSD capability, as well. I too will be curious to see how well these Turnigy cells perform.

Dave

lightseeker2009

Enlightened
I will post some links from rcgroups.com tomorrow when I'm back at work. The batteries were tested and found to exceed expectations. They all tested a real world 2200+mah. Its strange that they are not more popular then they are. I would love to see them included in your tests

Here is a quote from one of the tests done. This capacity test was done at a 4A discharge level.
''And the update with discharge @4A:

Discharged:
LSD: 1966mAh (89,4% of nominal capacity)
Eneloop: 1602mAh (80,1% of nominal capacity)

Difference in discharged capacity between LSD and Eneloop:
2A: 296mAh (+16,3%)
3A: 341mAh (+19,9%)
4A: 364mAh (+22,7%)

With higher current the LSD has much more usable capacity!''

So I look forward to any test done with these Turnigy AA's

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those are impressive results, lightseeker. As I mentioned earlier though, Chinese cells such as the Turnigy's haven't, in the past anyway, been able to hold up after cycling as well as eneloops.

Can you post a link to the thread?

Dave

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the link, light.

There seems to be some conflict as to how good these cells really are, earlier in the thread. Add to that the thread died over a year ago with no word as to how well the cells actually held up as far as self discharge, so personally, I can't get too excited about them. It still would be interesting to see more information about these cells though, you never know, until a cell is well vetted through various types of testing.

Dave

lightseeker2009

Enlightened
Agreed. That is way I mentioned them. I would love to see them tested by one of this sites experienched users. I feel they are good. I have quite a lot of them in various applications and so far, I have no complaints.

Latest posts