The EOS (Concept & Photos of a Prototype) - Titan Slayer?

Bogus1

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only practical application for side lighting through holes I can think of would be on a bike light or as a road side pedestrian.

Greta

Flashaholic
Walter... I'm moving this thread to the Custom Builders & Modders forum per our discussion as to where your future products and projects should be listed on CPF seeing as how you declined having your own sub-forum at this time.

Illum

Flashaholic
drool award on this one, mobile1:twothumbs

the Titan is so much of a rarity:ohgeez: that if theres a light that can do what it does [titanium or not] and passes the reviewers on this site it is foreseeable that the light will sell like hotcakes for sometime to come :naughty::naughty::naughty:

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Since the circumference holes having been previously used on an already marketed torch was brought up...what about the name EOS? Princeton Tec used that on a headlamp...

I suppose it's hard to pick out something that hasn't been used somewhere already. I would want something unique to my own product so as not to confuse folks.

greenstuffs

Banned
The body of the light needs some work. It looks too plain and lacking details. Lose the optics and put a reflector in there.

M.TEX

Enlightened
Ummm this thread is getting better and better....
I like it ! :grin2:

But I know Walter and Kyle will get a Top of the line
product ....Just give some time ... :popcorn:

Darell

Flashaholic
This one is too close to call for me. We'll have to see it around the neck of a beautiful model before I can offer any relevant comments.

Standing by....

Last edited:

Illum

Flashaholic
This one is too close to call for me. We'll have to see it around the neck of a beautiful model before I can offer any relevant comments.

Standing by....

a studio shot with models for a prototype?
some reason AluminumOvercast rings in my mind :whistle:

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Time to show our (Lumencraft's) next creation (so far only a prototype and concept).

Kyle and I looked at the Titan and we just thought we can do better than that... so as a result the EOS was born

Your thoughts?

1. was recently looking at the Titan on the SF website and was going to contact SF about availability.

2. i'll buy yours in a heartbeat. exactly what i'm looking for. the price makes it somewhat of a no-brainer (cp. to SF Titan even if performance was only as good as the Titan's vs. apparently superior).

3. when can i "take a number"? or,... where does the line start?

4. you might??? have tradename infringement with the Princeton Tec Eos headlamps which has been sold for a few years here in the States (still a lighting product and so is a bit different than "Cadillac" automobiles and "Cadillac" dogfood; EOS cameras should be a non-issue even though they might have a built-in flash).

5. NO sapphires on mine, please.

Last edited:

Phredd

Enlightened
Looks like another cool light! If I may, I'd like to make a couple of comments. One of the things I love about the Gatlight is the cool glow from the leaked light on the sides of the optics. The gems are unique, but I'd prefer something closer to the Gatlight without the bulk.

Also, for a small light, I think the large knob on the bottom uses extra space and makes it a little more difficult to turn with your second hand (you need to reach behind the light) and certainly impossible to turn with one hand (unless you use a tactical hold). I know you don't want to make it too much like the Titan, but a ring near the front of the light would easier to use.

Phredd

easilyled

Flashaholic
Perhaps you can offer 2 variants - one with sapphires and one with
trits in recessed slots around the head instead?

Personally I would prefer trits.

I'm also not completely taken with the "long-line" indents on the body
for grip. If there was another way to do this in the form of a band (or bands)
around the body, I would prefer that from an aesthetic point of view.

All in all, its a great concept though, and I'm pretty sure I'd take
this instead of a Titan. Especially since its only slightly longer and takes
a CR123-sized cell. :thumbsup:

greenLED

Flashaholic
I don't like the lateral holes - it's a waste of light even if it looks cool.
Actually, I don't understand why the "bling-bling" of wanting to add stones onto a light.
The tail switch doesn't match the design lines of the rest of the light.

mobile1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok sorry been a bit busy to respond.... so here we go.

Regarding the stones: Well we'll have 2 versions - one with / one without.. question is AL or TI for the non stone version... price difference is probably around $200 for the AL and $300+ for the TI.

Regarding being affraid or use it too hard... : Well this light is actually very very small... so the zoom pictures make it look larger...also they are recessed where you can't really damage them.

LedLenser: Well it's a difference whether you just drill some holes into the side with no real reflector or optics in the light... just flood, or whether you combine optics with a fairly challenging way of setting the sapphires (windows) so that they are back lighted and make it all watertight. If they patented their holes - I am pretty certain that we don't violate their patent since we don't have holes but sapphires there....it's quite a bit different... whatever it is if we get the patent than we're fine. If we don't we'll know.
Also the size, number of holes, look etc. are all very different.

Practical Use: Well if you're changing a tire at night... having the sapphire is a safety feature where traffic can see you much better. Unless you're in a tactical situation having the sapphires there is an advantage and important feature. Besides you don't lose any light - since we're using optics. Which brings us to the next topic

Reflector vs optics: Well I still need to see a reflector with better throw than the optics has we're using - than we would use a reflector for the non bling version. Yes you might get less Lumen with optics but perceived brightness (hotspot brightness) is Lux not Lumen. So show me a same diameter size reflector with better throw. I got quite a few examples of that optic outthrowing other reflectors and optic.

Sasha/Naming: Location of the thread.. Sorry my fault... it was pretty late when I started that thread (at least in my terms with a newborn 9pm is very late)... thanks for moving it. Yeah the name is a bit of a challenge.. this EOS goddess is pretty popular with products and trademarks... there is also a headlight called EOS... if we call it the Lumencraft EOS - so with company name it is fine...

Brightness adjustment not in the back: Well there are a couple issues with that. First I think it is the easiest one hand use interface. Every time you have a push button in the back you need to do a tactical hold anyway if you want it to turn on. Now with the EOS if we move the brightness adjustment to the front it would be the same interface as the Titan (if you use the rotation to turn the light off). But I find that most people use the clicky in the back for on and off rather than the knob, in which case the design makes more sense.

Generally it is possible to move the brightness adjustment, however the light would have to be longer, or a bit thicker which we rather want to avoid. Building a light that pretty much is the same size as the titan but add a full clicky, and use a 123 instead of a CR2 trust me there is not much material left anywhere to move anything around - every bit of space is used. After having used the GatLight now for a couple of months, I think most people leave the brightness adjusted to whatever the main use is (night stand light at very low level, outdoor light high level)... than they just use the clicky in the back for on and off.

Long lines along the body:
Well generally anything is possible - lines, swirls, hex patterns, helix etc. However we'd like to keep it very classy... make a suggestion and we can try to model it up in CAD. One more thing whatever we do there it can't be very deep... just the same. Another option would be add a pattern and fill it with silver... my TI wedding ring has that... and it looks kind of cool contrast silver/Titanium.

Holes a waste of light: well it has to do with my reflector/optics comment above. I don't think there is a better reflector/optics out there with more throw with a p4 than what we currently use. So based on that, the light coming out through the holes is not wasted. If there are no holes the light will stay inside of the cylinder and be wasted there - optics are 85% efficient, and we basically use the remaining 15% to illuminate the sapphires. A good perfect reflector (and most do not fall in this category) is 95% however they are inferior in focusing light if you go for throw (if you compare with a same size model). You get more lumen but less lux - and lux is what people perceive as how bright a flashlight is.

EOS and models: Ok let's see if I can convince a model.....so standby..
:popcorn:

Last edited:

easilyled

Flashaholic
I'm very pleased to hear that you're making 2 versions (with/without stones)
Its also great that you're offering 2 materials Al. & Ti.

What I don't understand is why one of these materials will have stones
and the other won't

Why don't you have some of the Al. with stones and some without and
ditto for Ti?

Judging by the feedback that I've seen, there are a lot of us that would
like Ti (me included), but out of those opinion is divided on having sapphires
or no sapphires (maybe trits instead)

I realise this means that there will be 4 different options but you could draw
up a sales-list with the option desired next to the user (or maybe a pre-sales
list initially to get a feel for the numbers)

Last edited:

mobile1

Flashlight Enthusiast
well we will do a TI with sapphire... and either a TI without or an AL without, depending on what most people want... or if there is A LOT of interest we can do 3 version... anyway some more EOS photos as requested....

j1.JPG
j2.JPG

j3.JPG
j5.JPG

j6.JPG

j4.JPG

Last edited:

GalvanickLucifer

Newly Enlightened
I hate to be the lone voice expressing a negative opinion, but it looks butt-heavy to me (the flashlight, not the model) in the second picture of post #1. The body flare in the front and rear seem to be about the same length, but the switch in back adds additional length of the wider diameter in the rear which, IMO detracts from the good looks. Finer knurling on the button would help some. Increasing the length of the flair in the front would help, but probably make it a bigger/heavier light (not as pocketable.)

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice direction and light. Couple of open and honest questions:

1) what are you doing for heat sinking especially when offering a light that can do a claimed 140lumens? I know it is way more than surefire but a light this small is going to get mighty hot mighty quickly at 140 lumens

2) can knurling be added in the mid section or maybe around the head to help with the grip for adjusting the infinate brightness?

3) Will the light be regulated on all levels? Will it automatically step itself down during the run of the battery?

4) What is the expected usability on high (full bore) before it drops down?

5) will rechargeables be an option?

6) will it be upgradeable? I think this is a key part that SF missed but I understand they want continued big dollar sales for when new lights come out and don't want to have to "upgrade" the old lights.

7) what is momentary set to? Automatic full high or something settable?

8) I am assuming last use is what you get when you turn the light off and back on right?

9) What is the expected availability. Surefire keeps pushing theres back (now supposedly late Sept). What say you on the EOS?

10) Whoever's wife or girlfriend that is in the "model" pictures......... great job. Very classy indeed. Someone is a lucky man. :)

Thanks and sorry for the questions. I would be in for one in HA black and with trits instead of jewels. I think the jewels are too chickish.

Curtis

Last edited:

Latest posts