The EOS (Concept & Photos of a Prototype) - Titan Slayer?

mobile1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Galvanic...: I agree with you somewhat - when the light is held horizontally , if it's vertical I think it looks ok. The problem with making it more balanced is that it means adding weight and length, or removing the clicky. Regarding the knurl, its a question between look and function. The rough knurl is awesome to hold (same as with the gat) and operate.. the v2 had a thinner knurl and it's more slippery...

cue0003:
1) Heatsinking: well we're the only ones (I am aware off) that is using fairly thick solid COPPER CORE LED circuit boards. However the light is pretty tiny and it heats up quite a bit in the front - can still be held safely in the back though. Right now max is set to 1000mA (when used with rcr123) which is a bit high for continuous on.. however as with the Gat since it's using a very very smooth brightness control one can turn it down.
We will do the same as with the Gat and officially specify it for use with a primary lithium battery, as with those the max mA is 600mA - which is perfectly fine from a thermal point of view. For those who want a bit of extra ooomph... they can use a 3.6V and get the 1000mA - but they have to turn it down when it gets too warm.

2) Grip: with the stripes the grip is actually fairly good... and brightness adjustment is easy with one hand.

3) Regulation: Yes same as the GatLight - regulated on all levels - so buck boost chip - battery is being drained to 1.5V. When set to max it will regulate max brightness as long as possible after that it will pull whatever the battery can deliver (decreasing)... than it will go into a strobe mode (when it's being left to max) for a little while followed by an hour of low still usable ligth.

4) Runtimes: With a (primary lithium 123)battery you'll get about 1h runtime at 600mA light. And about 10 days at the lowest level.

5) Rechargeables: Officially its for use with primaries. However you can use protected 3.6V rechargeables. WE don't specify it for those since it's too hard to explain to your regular user what a protected cell is. There are many MFG's out there that sell protected batteries that in fact are not. So for liability reasons we spec it for use with 123's. Also when you pop in a 3.6V the max. level is 1000mA which gives you some extra brightness at max but also a lot less runtime. One thing though batteries get drained to 1.5V also rechargeables... so you can't deplete them or the rechargeables will have a very short life.

6) Upgradablity: YES - like the GatLight it is upgradable with newer Luxeon III type or Seoul P4 type LEDs provided they use the same optical characteristics which they tend to.

7) Momentary Brightness: Set to whatever level the brightness knob is set to.

8) Brightness when light is turned on: Like with the GatLight the last setting when light is turned off - unless the knob got adjusted while the light was off.

9) Availability - well we're currently getting quotes in so it's hard to tell.. but the earliest would be before Christmas hopefully (delivery) - however for a lower number f.e. 50 units we might be faster...

10) Model - Yep she's a hottie and smart too :thumbsup:

Last edited:

PEU

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gotta love new custom modders presentations, in the ol times we used to see a flashlight next to a flower and called that beautiful, now we see models... I like the new times far better :D

Regarding the design, it reminds me a blend of: the Orb Flashlight+Coast Lenser+Bling+Gatlight
Hopefully you don't get angry at me, but I dont like it. Knowing your previous work, and knowing this one is just an iteration in the design process, Im sure I'll like much better the new releases :)

Pablo

paulr

Flashaholic
I gotta say the sapphires are a little too bling for my tastes. McGizmo did a light with a single ruby and for some reason I liked that better.

With or without the sapphires I don't see this light as aiming for the same niche as the Titan. Also, if you're aiming for the market I think you are, IMO you should make the light rechargeable using a cellular phone charger. That type of user is going to be happier with a light where they never have to change the battery except as a very occasional maintenance operation, like with a cell phone. It is ok if waterproofness is compromised by the recharging connector.

Rechargeability also means you can use a smaller cell inside, like a 14250 or whatever.

Last edited:

greenstuffs

Banned
Hey Walter what about the clip have you decided yet? Will it be clipless I'm hoping for a clip or some sort of lanyard attachment

mobile1

Flashlight Enthusiast
We're looking into different alternatives.... ideally would be something removable... but it depends.... we'll play around a bit in the CAD and see what we can come up with

greenstuffs

Banned
That would be great i'm planning on getting 2 of these 1 for my GF and another for me. Of course 1 bling and one without. I'm sure this will make it before the Titan does :twothumbs good luck please keep us updated.
:D:D:D
We're looking into different alternatives.... ideally would be something removable... but it depends.... we'll play around a bit in the CAD and see what we can come up with

Illum

Flashaholic
I don't like the lateral holes - it's a waste of light even if it looks cool.
Actually, I don't understand why the "bling-bling" of wanting to add stones onto a light.
The tail switch doesn't match the design lines of the rest of the light.

well that did it :rolleyes:
how will the tailswitch blend in? making it with smaller than that of the body?

greenLED

Flashaholic
well that did it :rolleyes:
how will the tailswitch blend in? making it with smaller than that of the body?
Size is not what I'm concerned about. What I'm seeing is a sleek, curvy body (the light, not the model, you sick-minded ones!) with a switch knob that could easily be found on a drill press! :green:

Make the knurling less aggressive, smooth out the lines, make it "softer" and more elegant looking to match the body?

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
I don't like the lateral holes - it's a waste of light even if it looks cool.

Unless, say, one was into biking :poke:, in which case, say, the lateral holes are perfect for side visibility! ;) :wave: Provided, of course, that it could be done with a strobe mode. :)

john

Stillphoto

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember the original gatlight thread, and how much the light changed from the cad designs presented....That in itself (the fact that we're already looking at an actual working unit, not just a drawing) is a testament to the improvement in flow / design that Walter and his crew have gone through. As this thread continues, I'm sure there will be plenty of things worked out here and there.

I do like the idea of having the high dollar blinged out EOS, and then the haIII aluminum "tactical" EOS although it was not designed to be a tactical light. It would make for an amazingly nice pair side by side, ti and bling, black alu and trit or even glow epoxy. I like that it is light that will be lost anyways, so might as well throw some stones in there to do something cool.

Bravo on a design that will eventually beat SF at their own game, and use a 123a in the process!

Cheers!

Last edited:

mobile1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok we've got some quotes in and so far we got an AL that's in the ball park range... so where can we buy tritium without having to import them ourselves and going through tons of paperwork... also regarding knurling etc... for a black HA I think that knurling is actually pretty nice - the light is very very easy to operate with that knurl.....

Last edited:

greenstuffs

Banned
I vote yes for the tritium as long as it does not reflect on the final price, besides you can just have the slots milled and have the end user make the decision to add tritium or not. There are plenty of sources for tritium here.

easilyled

Flashaholic
I vote yes for the tritium as long as it does not reflect on the final price, besides you can just have the slots milled and have the end user make the decision to add tritium or not. There are plenty of sources for tritium here.

I think the tritiums would already be inserted as an alternative to the sapphires

jcompton

Enlightened
Would the Tritium fill the entire length of the grooves? If so I may just have to pick one up when they are available.

mobile1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the tritium links... that's very helpful. We'll see what we can do... anybody know the 23x3mm vials... that seems a pretty large surface... how easily can those break if something sharp would it the surface of such a vial (if being recessed in a grove)?

Phredd

Enlightened
The 3x23 vials are pretty big, so I'd think they'd be more susceptible to breakage. Recess it and cement the vials in with epoxy and they'll be protected from minor impacts. The 3x23 are nice and bright, but the 1.5x5 might be easier to protect.