The Fenix HP11 - a Review in Four Parts

Jackasper

Enlightened
I can't imagine in 2011 people are going out of their way wanting big bulky headlamps like this when there are efficient 1 cell lights. I could see if there was a runtime benefit that having a huge 4 cellpack hanging on the back of my headband digging into the back of my head and strands of wires hanging around and then a third top strap making me feel like a cyborg would have but as I posted there is no runtime benefit over something like a Zebralight. By the end of this month Zebralight will be offering the H600 a 1x18650 cell with runtime of 1920 hours or 80days!!!!! 500 lumens for 2.1 hours, 330 lumens for 3 hours and 200 lumens for 6 hours all on 1 cell (18650) and no weird battery packs and no tangling wires or bulky top head strap.

Holy anger!
How can a headlamp review get a person so bent? I didn't know this was a comparison...
Great review, I have both the HP10 and the HP11. Love them. Thanks for your time and effort.

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't imagine in 2011 people are going out of their way wanting big bulky headlamps like this when there are efficient 1 cell lights. I could see if there was a runtime benefit that having a huge 4 cellpack hanging on the back of my headband digging into the back of my head and strands of wires hanging around and then a third top strap making me feel like a cyborg would have but as I posted there is no runtime benefit over something like a Zebralight. By the end of this month Zebralight will be offering the H600 a 1x18650 cell with runtime of 1920 hours or 80days!!!!! 500 lumens for 2.1 hours, 330 lumens for 3 hours and 200 lumens for 6 hours all on 1 cell (18650) and no weird battery packs and no tangling wires or bulky top head strap.

This is like comparing a moped to an RV for a cross country trip. You need a moped for best single person across city, while a Van is best for a cross country trip.

Similarly, you will never paint or high speed bike or dry wall or detail carpentry or do serious work with a weak cell, diffuse light. You will end up killing your self and doing inferior work. More lux also means more runtime, because you can use lower settings and still see. More flood also means reduced night vision and less ability to see.

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
ok sorry for my rant. Great review I didn't mean to slight the OP for that at all. I'm just perplexed people still WANT a bulky light like this in 2011. Do you guys not know about Zebralight? It's sort of bewildering to me just like that there are still people using the Incandescent forum when LEDs do everything more efficiently and brighter than incandescents which are so 1970... If my grandfather were still alive I'm sure he would have ditched his Eveready incandescent lanterns and made the switch to LEDs.

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
you need throw for carpentry or painting? Do tell... if anything for close tasks like that you need flood, pure unadulterated flood. I do electronic work and flood is perfect for rewiring things and soldering. Throw would be goofy and casting shadows when working close up and doing intricate work with tweezers and magnifying glasses. You might also be assuming (and you'd be wrong) that all Zebralights are flood only as there are alot of spot/spill lights (most Zebralight fans actually prefer the full flood models to the newer type ZL has offered).

Not trying to derail the thread further, but I did want to defend some of the comments directed towards me.

This is like comparing a moped to an RV for a cross country trip. You need a moped for best single person across city, while a Van is best for a cross country trip.

Similarly, you will never paint or high speed bike or dry wall or detail carpentry or do serious work with a weak cell, diffuse light. You will end up killing your self and doing inferior work. More lux also means more runtime, because you can use lower settings and still see. More flood also means reduced night vision and less ability to see.

Last edited:

robostudent5000

Enlightened
I'm just perplexed people still WANT a bulky light like this in 2011. Do you guys not know about Zebralight?

you keep bringing up this Zebralight, so maybe i should give one a chance. can you recommend me one that can do the following:

i need a minimum of 130 lumens for 8 hours continuous use.
i need peak output that's close to 300 lumens and peak intensity that's close to 6000 cd on max.
i need it to throw 150 yards in a pinch.
i need it to run on AA batteries.
since i'll be wearing it on my climbing/caving helmet, weight isn't a real big issue, but front/rear balance is very important.

i look forward to trying a Zebralight that meets my needs.

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pretty sure a H51 with a lithium 14500 would do the trick and if not that then possibly their upcoming H-502 which will be even better than the previous H51. Win/win here as you're using less batterys (less waste to the environment if you are still using primaries and not NiMH recharageables) and getting the same performance with a 4-5x increase in efficiency and a lighter more streamlined (comfortable) headlamp. You'll thank me later.

you keep bringing up this Zebralight, so maybe i should give one a chance. can you recommend me one that can do the following:

i need a minimum of 130 lumens for 8 hours continuous use.
i need peak output that's close to 300 lumens and peak intensity that's close to 6000 cd on max.
i need it to throw 150 yards in a pinch.
i need it to run on AA batteries.
since i'll be wearing it on my climbing/caving helmet, weight isn't a real big issue, but front/rear balance is very important.

i look forward to trying a Zebralight that meets my needs.

robostudent5000

Enlightened
Pretty sure a H51 with a lithium 14500 would do the trick and if not that then possibly their upcoming H-502 which will be even better than the previous H51. Win/win here as you're using less batterys (less waste to the environment if you are still using primaries and not NiMH recharageables) and getting the same performance with a 4-5x increase in efficiency and a lighter more streamlined (comfortable) headlamp. You'll thank me later.

i did a quick search on the H502, and isn't it supposed to be a flood only headlamp, thereby not meeting my requirement for throw? and doesn't a 14500 lack the capacity to run for more than a couple hours at 350 mA, which is about the current you need to run a xpg or an xml at 130 lumen otf, thereby causing the H51 to not meet my requirement for runtime? i got curious, so i checked the Zebralight website, and they explicitly state that the H51 does not support 14500's, so you can't even use them. also, some additional searching revealed that the H51 has a reflector that is too small and shallow to throw more than a couple hundred feet even on max.

other than running on AA batteries, neither of those Zebralights seem to be able to do anything that i need it to do. in fact, some more additional searching reveals that Zebralight does not currently and will not in the near future make a headlamp that meets my needs.

meanwhile, the Fenix HP11 meets all my requirements. and does it now.

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cyamn down, cyamn down..... (mock Liverpudlian accent - might not make sense to US based CPFers)

Anyway, I think that we have to stop the 'discussion' at this point.

My comments would be that if your requirements are small, light-weight and single cell (but limited output and runtime) then Zebralight are excellent, if you need higher output for longer periods and the runtime only a multi-cell light can give, then headlights like the HP11 are excellent.

Beacon_of_light - you won't win the argument that zebralight is the answer to everyone's needs - it isn't.

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you have followed cpf, there is a HUGE following for zebralight. However, they may work for diffuse workers like electrical, but not for other tasks.

I have come to realize, differing formats of lights serve different needs in one's life. Cheap single AA 4 lumen led headlamps at Home Depot are great for bedside and kids. Single high power AA's are great for pocket. 4 AA (HP11) are great for everyday work. While on huge jobs, external packs work best (easier to charge but lack daily portability ease.) Wrist lights are better than headlamps at patching, and useful for throw and peripheral vision to avoid tripping. I haven't found a use yet for a flashlight yet, but this is just me--I won't be jumping into a flashlight review extolling virtues of the headlamp over a flashlight.

[Yes, you need LOTS of throw for painting and dry walling. Google lighting in profile to see texture. Painting, seeing dust at 12-25 foot distance is very important. When rolling, throw is very important. Painters often get beatup for 1/2 grain of rice skips. Importantly: Throw = runtime, provided you can dial down. If, with a thrower, you can dial down to 50 milliamps and see detail, then you got a more useful light. I hate to say it, but you almost need a lux per watt rating on the lights.]

Last edited:

uk_caver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cyamn down, cyamn down..... (mock Liverpudlian accent - might not make sense to US based CPFers)
I can see the shellsuit and curly hair as clear as day.
My comments would be that if your requirements are small, light-weight and single cell (but limited output and runtime) then Zebralight are excellent, if you need higher output for longer periods and the runtime only a multi-cell light can give, then headlights like the HP11 are excellent.
I'd second that.
One of my headlights is a Zebralight. (and I don't mean that in a 'one of my friends is...' kind of way).
Every light has its place, but my favourite and most-used light is my largest one (roughly Petzl Zoom size, and a touch heavier), and my next-most-used one is a 3xAA with back-mounted battery box.

The favourite isn't light, but I can find it with closed eyes even in a disordered tent or stuffed inside a bag, put it on with one hand, use it for reading in a tent /or/ seeing things far away, I get ages between battery changes, and it shares power options with my caving lamp. Which is nice.

Excellent review - if I didn't have the niche already covered sufficiently for my needs, I'd certainly be considering a HP11.

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
uk_caver;3737715 Excellent review - if I didn't have the niche already covered sufficiently for my needs said:
Got my hp11 ordered and in the air. I finally felt I hadn't upgraded recently enough. I did just make a xpe r2 fl into a hl. I will need to see lux at 133 to determine if it is suitable for me.

I really would like to see a xml u3 bin, with some throw (possibly dedomed). But I am guessing 3 years will pass before this is offered.

uk_caver

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really would like to see a xml u3 bin, with some throw (possibly dedomed). But I am guessing 3 years will pass before this is offered.
I wish Cree made an XM-L equivalent, but with a separately addressable inner core. It'd be great to have a headtorch with an electrically-controlled zoom for the spot beam, so you could light distant objects with a narrow beam, saving a lot of power/heat for a given intensity of illumination, but have a wide beam for closer work like trail following where less intensity would often be needed, without the complication and bulk of multiple LEDs/optics or mechanical zooming.
Though without a expected market of countless millions of devices, I guess that won't be likely to happen.

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix Headlamp Hp-11 review (r5) [One week ownership/ as a work hight detail light]

1. Most useful light ever made, in my book! (Good throw means even 55 lumen (24 hour) level rivals 100 lumen lights--making me rethink my confidence in other light makers' claims for lumens.
2. This light is a true revolution over 80-100 lumen lights. Makes the Remington 150 lumen lights look like penlight, even at equivalent drive levels.
3. The HP11 has the most useful, outstanding drive/runtime levels: reading (206h at 4 lumen); arm length detail work (24h at 55 lumen level) that outshines most 80 to 100 lumen level (again, rethink my confidence in other manufactures); 6 foot detail level of 130 lumens which is very bright (9 hour range) , and extreme thrower 277 lumen to impress the skeptics.
4. My Hp 11 came with a removable diffuser.
5. Incredible out the front lumens. Apparently, the HP11 achieves little lose, as compared with other lights, by using a smooth reflector and low reflection glass lens.
6. Pretty neutral (Way warmer than Remington). (Great smooth reflector, nice hotspot and spill.)

Other notes:
1. The 2011 Coleman Max 144 xp-e (r2?) is a tad warmer.
2. Perceptually, the 144 Coleman Max is near the perceived 133 HP11 output, by driving the Coleman at 320 milli-amps (An R2 should be a tad more luxy, so this makes sense). So, the hp11 doesn't totally trump the R2 144 Coleman (Provided the Coleman is modified with hacksaw/new power supply and variable resistor), but it does have better runtime, more consistent light, larger hot spot, better reflector, better efficiency.
3. By the inherent HP11 battery pack design, it will be easy to build 2 dummy batteries with attached wires, for my tool belt 6 volt 4.5 amp hour AGM batteries on large jobs.

Cons:
1. Didn't ship with tracking! (20 days to reach me from Canada.)
2. Diffuser looks like it will break early, if used on a job site on first knock of head on something low [plank/bush]. But, this diffuser should protect the glass lens in book bag with other stuff.
3. Center strap is too short!!!! Most users will not realize this, and consider the HP11 uncomfortable. :-( This is easy to modify with some Walmart elastic, scissors and thread. Or Just use strap from another light. Lengthen the center strap, and it becomes nearly as comfortable/balances as the Remington (tad heavier.) or any 3 aaa hl.
4. The driver did crash two of the 4 AA cells after my first 1.5 hours of use. So, as very first my light with a fully regulated 4 cell driver, I am still evaluating to see how picky it will be on cell. {I have returned 2 AA [brick and mortar] lights where every 15 minutes I needed to change cells, since the driver was so picky.}

Conclusion:

Between the HP11 driver, the superior 4aa format (good comfort, superior power, attainable AA), and an xpg with efficiency that is fast approaching the magic number 150 lumen/watt, it appears the HP11 is clearly a big upgrade of my 3-4 cell 80-105 lumen lights. No more can a customer or worker brush off the lights as marginally useful, since the brightness now has a wow factor, with long run time in a convenient, comfortable form factor. I need three more HP11s, asap! But, just read about my dream emitter; the S2 xpg which reaches the my dream of 150 lumen/watt. So, I might wait for the s2+ bin, to more clearly surpass the 150 lumen/watt water mark. I realize the eye won't notice the difference, but every bit helps, and it is a matter of principle. And, after all this light proves that every bit does add up.

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cons:
3. Center strap is too short!!!! Most users will not realize this, and consider the HP11 uncomfortable. :-( This is easy to modify with some Walmart elastic, scissors and thread. Or Just use strap from another light. Lengthen the center strap, and it becomes nearly as comfortable/balances as the Remington (tad heavier.) or any 3 aaa hl.
4. The driver did crash two of the 4 AA cells after my first 1.5 hours of use. So, as very first my light with a fully regulated 4 cell driver, I am still evaluating to see how picky it will be on cell. {I have returned 2 AA [brick and mortar] lights where every 15 minutes I needed to change cells, since the driver was so picky.}

It is a pity you didn't read the section in my review (post 1) called 'Putting it together'. Here I mention the top strap and the fact that all you need to do is reconfigure it. This entails simply slipping the strap through the angled slot in the plastic buckle and reattaching it in a different position and voilà the top strap is perfect without any extra elastic, sewing etc required. After doing this the top strap looks exactly as it does in the photo of the instructions.

As for your other con about the 'The driver did crash two of the 4 AA cells after my first 1.5 hours of use', what exactly do you mean about this. How could the batteries crash?

In my tests I used Eneloops, and ran it and ran it and ran it until the output was less than the low setting for at least 6 hours (as in 6 hours from when the output had dropped to a very low level) to see if the driver would cut off, but thankfully (so as not to be plunged into darkness) it just kept going with diminishing output. The Eneloops given a bit of recovery time actually managed a blast of turbo before dropping again. I got bored of abusing the eneloops which were fine and took a full charge immediately afterwards.

When using multi cell lights I always used matched sets which were charged at the same time and have had no problems at all with this light.

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
My center strap looks different than yours. I also after reading your sentence on center strap a dozen times, still have no idea what you are describing. Need a video or slide show, I guess.

What I mean crash, is I put 4 freshly charged batteries in: two eneloops and two 2300s. After two hours the 2300s were dead, while the eneloops continued. In the real world, with 100 batteries and 8 plus lamps running, matching batteries is not practical. etc. So, the fact you have had no problems with pickiness of cells, I find reassuring. (I still have only gone a max of 5 hours before topping off batteries.)

GulfCoastToad

Newly Enlightened
Wow, great review. I didn't think I needed another headlamp until I read through your posts. Now I might have changed my mind. My current adventure light is a Princeton Tec Apex. It sounds like the Fenix HP11 will make my PT pee its pants.

Latest posts