The longest throwing LED flashlight in the world (part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Wall of light" is the first thing that comes to mind. Is that the sst-90 in there? I wonder how long it will be before someone here comes up with a 10amp driver.

EDIT: maybe "Ram of light" is more appropriate.
I can come up with the driver but the light does not have enough surface area to shed that much heat. It won't stop me from trying though.:naughty: At 4A the light is almost too hot to hold in about 10 minutes.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
leds065-1.jpg

:devil:
It's beautiful!
:faint:

Those beamshots look nice as well. Maybe not as intense as an XR-E but a nice amount of light going downrange. Is that beamshot using the secondary optic?

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is this going to be possible for current DEFT owners? I hope it's possible to retrofit mine to a 4A driver, or possibly something to run the SST at MAX spec 10A :huh:, but realize battery options will probably limit that in current configuration. What about an extension tube to allow some high rate discharge cells?

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is this going to be possible for current DEFT owners? I hope it's possible to retrofit mine to a 4A driver, or possibly something to run the SST at MAX spec 10A :huh:, but realize battery options will probably limit that in current configuration. What about an extension tube to allow some high rate discharge cells?
It will be available for current DEFT owners but I cannot guarantee that it will have a 4A driver much less 10A. I will work on it more when I have some time. Right now I need to work on just getting lights out.

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
perhaps research into different lens combinations that would result in an even smaller image? like, a deft2 head that the old LE can fit into or something :naughty:

I've always wondered what a sphere does, you ever tried one?

If you let me live in the lab and supply ramen and lenses, I'll gladly do the research :twothumbs

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
perhaps research into different lens combinations that would result in an even smaller image? like, a deft2 head that the old LE can fit into or something :naughty:

I've always wondered what a sphere does, you ever tried one?

If you let me live in the lab and supply ramen and lenses, I'll gladly do the research :twothumbs
Spheres are very inefficient. The only way to get a smaller image is to increase the focal length. Do that and you lose more lumens because it is farther away from the LED.

porschehotshot

Newly Enlightened
Hi Saabluster, I was wondering if the Deft has the same super long throw (using the plain atmespheric lens) beam with the p7, mc-e or the new sst 90 as the xr-e. Or if they can only work well with a defused beam.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Saabluster, I was wondering if the Deft has the same super long throw (using the plain atmespheric lens) beam with the p7, mc-e or the new sst 90 as the xr-e. Or if they can only work well with a defused beam.
The XR-E is still the farthest throwing option. The P7 and MC-E need some blending of the dies which reduces throw. The SST 90 can be used without any blending(diffused lens) but does not have as much surface brightness as the XR-E and therefore will not throw as far.

looman

Enlightened
I have missed something here - is there an option for an XR-E ?

I have looked at the front page options but cant see it ?

How does it compare against the R2 ?

Your advices would be appreciated Michael

Thanks

Si

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have missed something here - is there an option for an XR-E ?

I have looked at the front page options but cant see it ?

How does it compare against the R2 ?

Your advices would be appreciated Michael

Thanks

Si
XR-E is a model. The R2 part is a flux bin. The R2 WH and Q5 WC are both XR-Es.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re those new lens' still causing you problems then Michael ?
Don't know yet. I have been in California for several days and just got back late last night. The first test lens I did turned out great. Of course I had the same result with the other product. I did a small batch right before we left and have not had a chance to see how well they turned out. I will be checking on them here in a few minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts