The longest throwing LED flashlight in the world (part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jblackwood

Enlightened
At least you've got flashaholics out your way! My get-together thread hasn't had anyone post! Oh well, I'll take solace in my DEFT . . . that's right, mutha-father! I've got one on the way! (My students love it when I say that).:naughty:

Oh yeah . . .
Michael, PP sent, PM replied . . .

thumbs are now duly twiddling!

Last edited:

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just wanted to go ahead and announce my next product! It will be the "Fluffystuff Tack-tickle". It's designed to handle all your 4 year old warrior's tactical needs needs needs needs! Thats right folks, we know how much all .0000000000001% of your children need these awesome tactical features. Just when she least expects it you can blast your sister with the patented super amazing tactical beam*. OK just kidding. It's the Carnivorous Animal Tactical!!!!! Tactical!!! Tactical!! I don't know why but I had bile in the back of my throat this morning when I happened to look at yet another new "Tactical" light. I'm just venting a little. I am sick, absolutely sick of everything being tactical. Why can't lights just be lights?! Stepping off the soap box now. We will now resume normal broadcast.:kiss:

*Not really a tactical beam. Our beams are just like everyone elses.

looman

Enlightened
So...............what your saying is that.........................the DEFT ISN'T a ..............

Tactical :-0 !!!!!!!!!

And the bezel.................you mean that crenutlated bezel.....................

Isnt designe to allow plastic surgeons to earn thousands of dollars for rebuilding work after hand to hand combat following dog walking patrol with the pickanose on a rope !!!!!

Got that wrong didnt I

:)

Of course - another way of loking at it is that as so many consider the DEFT to be the mutts nuts, the pooches pouches, the canine gonads, your lucky it's not described as the "Ultimate Testicle"

(Maybe I should have posted this AFTER you had confirmed shipping LOL

Last edited:

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of course - another way of loking at it is that as so many consider the DEFT to be the mutts nuts, the pooches pouches, the canine gonads, your lucky it's not described as the "Ultimate Testicle"
You just gave me an idea. I think I will have a special model called the DEFT UT line. It will be like BMW's M division or Merc's AMG.

looman

Enlightened
Get spme of those little blue led lights from motor factor shops - the ones that plug into a car cuggy lighter.

It wont bring anything to the party - I just love the irony of it.

jblackwood

Enlightened
You are going to put a body kit on the DEFT and put some stickers on it to go faster? :nana:

Or . . .
put on a super magnificent special happy time lanyard! It helps hold your hand steady while you flash the beam adding anywhere from 5.0 x 10-5 to 1.1 x 10-2 more lumens to the final beam! Now comes with new paracord smell!

:hitit:

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mike, just keep building!!!

I think the Marine/Water/Boating market would be a good niche for this light...

Last year while navigating on an open Lake I had a HID for lighting in pure darkness. Every-time the passenger turned it on to look around I was totally blinded by the spill... Not good while going 35mph and really annoying for the captain of the boat. Unless you mount the light on the Rim of the boat the spill ruins your night-vision & obscures your regular vision to some extent...

Cheers!

Thats an excellent point Lips!.....
When I use my BB HID in my boat "which is white", I have to hold it up high to try to avoid the backflash of the spill against the white surface of the boat.
TThat backflash, constricts the pupils and makes the real vision in the distance worse.

The sheer lumens of the BB HID still gives penetration, but at the expense of undoing the human eyes ability to actually see what is presented due to all the spill.

Keep in mind that usually early morning runs on the lake or ocean there will be lots of moisture in the air and that moisture also causes backflash from the spill. Late eve runs, have bugs!

I appreciate you pointing that out.

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please add me to your list. :thumbsup:

It sounds like your steering away from LiIon recharables?.... this would be my preference if its possible in the near future.

Last edited:

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please add me to your list. :thumbsup:

It sounds like your steering away from LiIon recharables?.... this would be my preference if its possible in the near future.

I am steering away from Li-ion in this light for a very good reason. The protected cells(at least the ones I have have used) are too long and too fat for the holder. It would require modifying the holder. Also the runtime was less on average than NiMH and the Energizer lithium primaries lasted about 40 minutes longer than the Li-ion. So all the Li-ion did was shorten the runtime while adding fitment problems and the chance of :poof:. I am not against Li-ion but there must be some advantage to using them. I don't design around something unless there is a good reason to do so.:thumbsup:

looman

Enlightened
So what exactly are eneloops - are they a hybrid cell - like an alkaline but with a rechargeable capability. I have not seen them in UK shops - are they known by another name in the UK market.

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't studied alkaline rechargables lately, but they used to be almost worthless for recharge.. quickly losing their life after only a few discharges.. seems like 10 was max.

Other than the poor shelf life, NiMh are good batteries, as long as you don't mind keeping a set in the charger ready to switch to at any time, its not a bad alternative to LiIon. They share the same steady voltage during drain characteristics under load. But Michael says the NiMh actually hold better during the intense amperage draw than LiIon.....
Humm.. I wonder how LiPo would fare?

I really like LiIon because I can throw the light in a drawer, cubby hole or glove box and when I finally need to use it 2 years later, its good to go... do that with NiMh and you won't see light!

Last edited:

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
So what exactly are eneloops - are they a hybrid cell - like an alkaline but with a rechargeable capability. I have not seen them in UK shops - are they known by another name in the UK market.
They are low self discharge NiMH rechargeables. Normal NiMHs lose a lot of the charge within a very short time after being taken off the charger. eneloops and other LSD NiMH batteries are far better in that respect. They also have more cycle life.

I haven't studied alkaline rechargables lately, but they used to be almost worthless for recharge.. quickly losing their life after only a few discharges.. seems like 10 was max.

Other than the poor shelf life, NiMh are good batteries, as long as you don't mind keeping a set in the charger ready to switch to at any time, its not a bad alternative to LiIon. They share the same steady voltage during drain characteristics under load. But Michael says the NiMh actually hold better during the intense amperage draw than LiIon.....
Humm.. I wonder how LiPo would fare?

I really like LiIon because I can throw the light in a drawer, cubby hole or glove box and when I finally need to use it 2 years later, its good to go... do that with NiMh and you won't see light!
Does anybody still offer Alkaine rechargables? Never heard good things about those. As mentioned above the new LSD NiMHs do not have the problem of losing their charge. LSD NiMHs are what I recommend using for the DEFT.

Status
Not open for further replies.