The new and LAST USL build update thread!

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jim,

I too will offer free machining services for this project or I can cover the cost of getting parts anodized by using my local ano shop. Just let me know via my email.

I got my USL years ago so I am one of the lucky ones.

Cheers
Dave

tanasit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great news guys.

Thanks to several members who offer the help...:bow::bow::bow::bow:

Tanasit

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mac and Data,

:bow: :bow: :bow:

Thank you. Thank you very much.

And thank you to those who have sent me PM's with other offers of help and assistance.

As soon as I get the rest of the stuff I will take an inventory and assess the situation to determine what I will need to complete the project. I'm hoping that the only issue will be the switch guards, and I have the mechanical drawing for them. They aren't complicated, and are aluminum with type II black anno and I think we only need 30 or 40 of them, and no more than 50 certainly. tvodrd machined up and annodized the original batch of them, as I remember. So, for now, that's the only real issue that I am aware of: switch guards.

mst3k

Enlightened
I too, am very happy to see this crazy project finally moving along. I guess Bill's recent post proves that his NOT being able to get online and post in this forum was all a big ole lie. In my opinion Billl should've sent this stuff to Jim or somene else, years ago. There are no should'ves and could'ves tho there is only now.

Today marks an anniversary for me. I just checked my paypal account and:

Mar. 6, 2005 Payment To William Waites

:paypal:

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Going by how long this sort of stuff has taken me before, I would estimate that I can finish about 5 USL orders per week, on average.

Hi Jim, I realize that I am not vested in this project (other than curiousity), but please consider Murphy's law in your projections. Building things takes time, and custom building things take even more time. Life also takes time. Wives make plans, etc.

Just MHO.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
HarryN,

Too true. Too true (unfortunately).

But, in the past I was able to build up 15 or so USL's in two weeks time, so 5 a week is down from that. And, average doesn't mean 5 steady every week, but maybe 10 in one weekend, then none for the next week, then 3 during the next weekend, etc.

But yeah, point taken. Who knows. Plus, I will have to pack up and mail out orders now, one by one, whereas before I would only mail one box back to Bill.

Still . . . I am committed to getting this project DONE. It's way, way, waaaaay past due. But in any case, my estimate is only that--an estimate. Once I get going and can really start seeing what sort of time it takes me to do the whole shebang, I can make a more accurate estimate, and promise goals, deadlines, that sort of thing. We shall see.

Everyone,

There was a slip waiting for me when I got home that I can pick up FOUR packages, sender Bill Waites. I will get to the post office on Monday after work and sign for them and pick them up. Too bad I missed them today, though. :( Good news is that they are here!

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK. I picked up the four packages at the post office today, but I haven't yet opened them and taken an inventory. I will probably do that tonight, but in case I don't I just wanted to be sure to post that I do in fact have possession of the rest (presumably) of the USL supplies.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
The good news:

I NOW HAVE ENOUGH PARTS TO MAKE A BUNCH OF COMPLETE USL's - heads, lenses, lamps, etc.

The bad news:

Instead of a nice master list with everything laid out clearly, Bill gave me a big stack of email correspondence. I honestly don't know what to make of it all. I mean, I know what each individual email is and all that, but I still feel rather in the dark about what was shipped and what wasn't and who still needs a USL and all that. It's giving me a headache. I'll have to sit down with it and puzzle everything out.

More bad news:

No Triton chargers. (And no power supplies - but I knew that beforehand)

THE REALLY GOOD NEWS:

I have 9 potentially viable, fully built USL lights on hand right now. Here they are by color:

4 black
2 silver
2 red
1 blue

I need to verify that the battery packs in these are still good, but certainly FIVE of them will in all likelihood be just fine, as they are at 14 volts or so. The other four range from 7 to 11 volts. Sadly, one fully assembled black one (not part of the 9--it's the 10th fully assembled one) is at 1.27 volts. :( No hope for that pack. Which stinks. Ah well, I should feel lucky that 90 percent are OK.

So, I have a problem. I'm definitely NOT sure about who has, and who HAS NOT received their USL orders. I know this may not please those who gave up on this project and haven't been posting to, or reading, this thread, but I don't know what else to do really.

So, I want those who haven't received their orders, and whose order can be filled with the color(s) listed above to POST TO THIS THREAD. I will fill these first squeaky-wheel orders, with these almost-ready-to-go USL's, from among the list of those who post here. Please post what USL color(s) are in your order in your post. The rest I should be able to find in the master list and correspondence, but feel free to post all the items in your order. And PM me your current address.

I still need to charge and cycle these and test their voltage under load of an actual 62138, but I think it looks good for at least FIVE ORDERS TO GO OUT ON OR BEFORE THIS SATURDAY.

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jim,

You might want to ask Bill if he has a spreadsheet with a list of who's left or who had already been sent a USL. I never got that info, but I seem to remember that he had something to track it with.

revv11

Newly Enlightened
js,

I have not received my order. It is #71 which I purchased from gessner17 on 12-28-05. The order included 2 extra bulbs and I believe the color was black.

mst3k

Enlightened
I am a ways down the list so other's should certainly come before me, but I had ordered a Blue one, 2 extra bulbs, temp probes < which I don't really care about and the newest Triton Charger.

I am Number 63 on the list.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
mst3k,

The fact that others are before you on the list is mitigated by the fact that I have no idea who has or has not received their orders, so the list isn't really helpful. For these first five or so orders, I just want to get them OUT THE DOOR ASAP. Who knows how long Bill will take to get back to me with the spreadsheet or master list or whatever? I'm not going to wait on Bill any longer. People are here who need their orders filled and they have waited long enough. I don't mean to give those before you the short end of the stick or anything, but I also don't see the point in waiting two or three weeks just to observe propriety. In that time I will have constructed another 10 or so USL's anyway and they can have their orders filled then.

So, PM me your address! Can't help with the Triton issue, though. Nor with the power supplies.

mst3k

Enlightened
You are a good guy Jim! It's really too bad that Bill won't send you the chargers. Having a USL that you can't charge won't be fun. Do you know where I could purchase a nice charger in the event that Bill doesn't come thru with them?

plasmaman

Enlightened
Jim
Looks like I am no. 6 on your list (post 277 on this thread).
As far as I recall it was black, with switchguard. If the switchguard is an issue I'm happy to abandon that and go with the plain vanilla version. No charger.
Thanks again
John

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
It's really too bad that Bill won't send you the chargers. Having a USL that you can't charge won't be fun. Do you know where I could purchase a nice charger in the event that Bill doesn't come thru with them?

For those wishing to save money, these simple universal NiMH chargers have been used and sold with Mac's Torch 14.4V packs. It would assume the pack is in good condition and cells conditioned, cycled, and holding charge under load. Getting a Triton-II or other hobby charger gives more capabilities, but would not be needed if this is your only purpose.