The new Arc-LS

Status
Not open for further replies.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gransee said:
On another topic...

Besides McGizmo, I enlisted the help of several other CPF experts when designing the new LS:

Dat2zip
CM
Lebkuecher

I also have presented various iterations to people like greenLED to get their opinion. This type of research is nothing new for me. Although I have *definate* opinions on what the finished product should do, I have no problem with bouncing various implimentations off people I trust.

Peter

now that's a short but definitely impressive list of consultants.....

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree.

These gentlemen will probably remind you that although they have helped in various capacities, they can also tell you I have my own specific vision for this product. History will prove my goals to either be wise or foolish.

They certainly don't guarantee the final product will be a success. Some have disagreed with me on aspects of my specific vision. Something to the effect of, "although I wouldn't include this or that design element in my flashlight, I will help you develop it". I prefer a working enviroment where people can voice their opinions.

In fact, if the product fails, it may fail because I ignored a particular warning of one of the experts or some other indicator. Ultimately however, I do need to make a decision and live with it.

Peter

Last edited:

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*
Gransee said:
I get the impression the windows interface is one of the Indium's top features that makes it different. And that interface is very refined. For the LS, it is just a minor feature and the interface is basic. It was added to help me with my tests. If people want it, we might make it available in some limited form. It is not presented as the first light with such a feature nor should people think that the feature is a big reason to buy the light.

The reason I spent more time talking about it compared to some of the other aspects of the light, is *because* the feature is so minor. That makes it a safe subject. The more important features would give too much information away to competitors.

I enjoy a professional relationship with Jon. Since we talk about a lot of things, he has known about the new LS much longer than most people. Of course, he knows it has a basic windows interface. If he had a problem with it, he would have told me a long time ago.

Peter
Hi Peter,
"If people want it, we might make it available in some limited form."
Are you saying that, as it stands now, the owner will not be able to reprogram the light using Windows, unlike the Indium Smart?
I am not sure that I phrased the question correctly or not.
Thanks,
Jeff

Last edited:

greenLED

Flashaholic
270winchester said:
now that's a short but definitely impressive list of consultants.....
Thank you, but I wouldn't call myself a consultant in this project. I don't feel comfortable receiving credit when I don't think I deserve it. Yes, I had the privilege of *briefly* using a proto LS at SHOT and I am, to this day, most greatful for Peter's trust. However, the circumstances weren't ideal at the moment, and I didn't get a chance to study the light thoroughly and provide Peter with any real feedback on the LS. I would've loved to be a beta tester. Anyway, Peter asked me not to divulge details of what I saw, so I won't say more.

I was puzzled by the mention of a computer interface on the LS, and that's why I posted. Especially after re-reading Viren's post, when I realized this latest iteration of the LS shared some of the Smart's features, namely easy LED upgrades and a computer interface. However, I think Peter's explained that already, when he referred to the computer interface:

Gransee said:
The reason I spent more time talking about it compared to some of the other aspects of the light, is *because* the feature is so minor. That makes it a safe subject. The more important features would give too much information away to competitors.

With some custom products (like knives) it's customary for fellow makers to "consult" with other makers as to not step over each other's toes. I'm sure there are significant differences between the Smart and the LS, and that the similarities I was perceiving were because of the repeated mentions of a computer interface.

To quote McGizmo: :stupid:

Last edited:

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast
ViReN,

I have my personal opinion on what the price will be, but I don't think that guessing prices will contribute to the discussion about the upcoming light. The full feature set has not been announced, and regardless of our speculation, Peter will no doubt have a price point that he will set. Guessing will not alter it.

I hope this thread will remain focussed upon the features of the new Arc-LS rather than its price.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
it should be noted, that the new ls and the indium smart are two very different lights. there is no way one is "copying" the either, any more than fenix is copying surefire for using a tailswitch...

i'd like people to remember the old flashlight saying "buy both!", because having felt and played with both, i can say that they are each excellent lights, and serve their individual purposes quite well!

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm very impresssed.

I don't want to say more until I have the new LS in my hand, but... I'm happy that you Peter are back with a new product, co-designed with some of the most knowledgeable CPFers.

Regards

Anthony

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
As somebody who missed out on the first series of LS lights I'm really looking forward to this new incarnation of a flashlight that's become a cult classic.
buttrock.gif

CFU

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
EDIT: Thanks for clarifications :)

Questions/Requests for Peter

1) How would the Light Engine drive the LED ?
---a) is it going to be a Constant 'Power' (like HDS) or
---b) Constant 'Current'
---c) Is it going to be a trade secret (way of driving LED)

2) If the PC Programmable feature is a 'minor', what are the 'major' features of the new Arc LS (if they are secret at this moment, atleast give us some hints)

3) Pictures would be helpful (if i am asking for way too much... just forget it :D)

4) How does the Temprature 'Control' work?
---a) is it like HDS or (abrupt Step down)
---b) is it like magLED (smooth step down)

5) How does it Look?
---a) like Old arc LS (but more refined)
---b) like one of McGizmo's work of art
---c) like HDS / Old Arc 4

(well those who have seen it... atleast they could reply)... I am very curious u know...

Last edited:

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi ViReN,

you have misread my post...or maybe I could have phrased it better...here goes.

I said that I hoped that this new incarnation of the LS would be as good as the old one and achieve the same status and good reputation...I didn't claim that the new one would be (or already is) a cult classic.

For what it's worth, I was lurking around bladeforums.com when the original Arc LS/H came out, lot's of folk there really liked it back then...I join this forum several years later and 'lo and behold'...many folks are still talking about this tidy little light in glowing terms.

CFU

*Retired*
ViReN said:
cult classic you mean .. this is going to be a cult classic ??? ... being a copy of JSB's Indium Smart? Please clarify CFU... I donno why, but even if the PC Programmable feature is a 'minor' ... and perhaps my mindset is 'fixed'... at this moment and I donno what's 'major' feature of the new Arc LS

Why do you keep saying this is a Indium Smart copy?

The two lights are quite different, in a great many respects.

This makes as much sense to me as saying a child's wagon is the same as a Ford F350 because they both have wheels.

If it is because of programmable, duh, if you want to program something, it is quite likely it will be done from windows, as it is easily the most common operating system found in end-user's computers.

Would that make the FluPic the same as the Indium Smart, since they are both programmed from a computer? Tell me, which was first to market (or even in existance), the FluPic or the Indium Smart?

Mr. Blue

Enlightened
ummm, I am barely literate (computer wise), but will it be Apple/Mac compatible?

mridude

Newly Enlightened
I too am looking forward to the new LS. I had purchased, and returned (Arc's return policy was quite fair) an Arc4 from the original Arc company. I believe that light cost about $185.00 at the time, 2004.
Neat little light...but....
The clicking programing feature was ...' Challenging '. ...and tough on the thumb joints...maybe it's just my age.
The.....everybody knows about this who owned one...switch itself was balky, even after it was sent back the first time. I know from reading these threads over the last few years that Peter freely admits this faux pas.

So, acknowledging that Arc puts alot of thought and research into its products, I can only hope that THESE feature sets have been...refined.

Good luck with the new LS Peter!

robk

Enlightened
One suggestion, thin down the wall thickness. My biggest complaint on the original ARC-LS was the weight - felt like I had half a roll of nickels in my pocket. I don't think anyone is going to run it over with their Hummer!
Good luck, waiting for more news on the project!
Rob

mahoney

Enlightened
Intermitently functioning LSs are usually not that hard to fix. Even old unworking LSs still have considerable value on BST. Check out the prices that are being asked for empty LS assemblies.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
kq2h said:
A new LS... I still have old ones that don't work right or work at all!!

Please don't thrash this thread. email me so I can help you troubleshoot to see if it's something that can be easily fixed. Most problems can be attributable to a narrow list of issues.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
RE: Minor/major features

What constitutes a "major" feature or specification for me may be a minor feature or unimpressive specification for another. Since the LS is first a tool, its major points are things such as its size, mechanical construction, switch/UI design, lm/w efficiency, beam/power envelope, etc. Since there are other mfgs that recognize at least some of those as important as well, details on those features would be more helpful to them than us talking about a minor feature.

To some extent, the only really significant thing I have to say about the LS at this point is that I am working on it. That doesn't mean that some of you, and me as well, can enjoy talking about some of the minor details. We love flashlights. And some point, I will be posting more information about the flashlight to this thread.

Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.