The new Malkoff M61SHO

Megalamuffin

Enlightened
Round 2 of comparison was better this time.

M91BN on two li-ions

IMG_7771.jpeg

M61 SHO on single li-ion

IMG_7772.jpeg

M61T on two li-ions

IMG_7773.jpeg

About 35 yards to the bench. I don't know what happened last time, maybe it was the fault of my pictures or a battery had dropped below 3.7v. The 61SHO compares more favorably to the 61T this time. The 61T has more punch to spot better at maximum range but the 61SHO beats it everywhere else. With the 61SHO if someone had been standing at that bench it would have been easy to see and identify if they had something dangerous in their hand, better so than the 91BN. I stood in the same spot and swapped between a 16650 and two 16340's in the 61SHO and couldn't tell an output difference whatsoever.

The M91BN and 61SHO look nearly identical as per the pictures, but the 91BN has noticeably more spill brightness to my eyes. The 91BN is superior indoors and at close range (partly also because they come in warm and neutral tint with 80+ CRI). Outdoors the extra punch of the 61SHO is better. Both are fairly comparable.

Last edited:

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Round 2 of comparison was better this time.

About 35 yards to the bench. I don't know what happened last time, maybe it was the fault of my pictures or a battery had dropped below 3.7v. The 61SHO compares more favorably to the 61T this time. The 61T has more punch to spot better at maximum range but the 61SHO beats it everywhere else. With the 61SHO if someone had been standing at that bench it would have been easy to see and identify if they had something dangerous in their hand, better so than the 91BN. I stood in the same spot and swapped between a 16650 and two 16340's in the 61SHO and couldn't tell an output difference whatsoever.

The M91BN and 61SHO look nearly identical as per the pictures, but the 91BN has noticeably more spill brightness to my eyes. The 91BN is superior indoors and at close range (partly also because they come in warm and neutral tint with 80+ CRI). Outdoors the extra punch of the 61SHO is better. Both are fairly comparable.
wow, these are nice.
Hard to tell the difference, seems M91BN has a bit more spill, a bit more lumens that are going into that spill but the lux at the bench t target is almost identical. It's amazing a single-celled SHO matches 2-cell M91. I think with 2 cells, SHO would clearly succeed over M91, despite the latter having more spill.

But my favorite always was and still is M61T. I submit it is the clear winner here. To qualify, at least for my purpose.
It shines on 2 cells. The target itself, the bench is very obviously better lit with it versus the other two and that's usually the situation, I want to look at some specific object, not the general vicinity.

It seems M61SHO has higher lux than M91 and than M61 but not by much. I wonder if you could re-run the test with SHO on 2-cells versus M61T on 2 cells. I think in that instance the gap between them would be lesser, I theorize.

Megalamuffin

Enlightened
wow, these are nice.
Hard to tell the difference, seems M91BN has a bit more spill, a bit more lumens that are going into that spill but the lux at the bench t target is almost identical. It's amazing a single-celled SHO matches 2-cell M91. I think with 2 cells, SHO would clearly succeed over M91, despite the latter having more spill.

But my favorite always was and still is M61T. I submit it is the clear winner here. To qualify, at least for my purpose.
It shines on 2 cells. The target itself, the bench is very obviously better lit with it versus the other two and that's usually the situation, I want to look at some specific object, not the general vicinity.

It seems M61SHO has higher lux than M91 and than M61 but not by much. I wonder if you could re-run the test with SHO on 2-cells versus M61T on 2 cells. I think in that instance the gap between them would be lesser, I theorize.

I did also try the 61SHO with two li-ion cells, swapped to them while standing there in the dark. The SHO seemed to have the exact same output with one or two li-ions so I didn't see a need to take any pictures.

NH Lumens

Enlightened
But to me, give me lux. It's what really matters in real world.

Just to place this in perspective. The target is the base of the tree immediately to the right of the first street light on the left (105 feet away). The camera exposure was locked to yield a true comparison;

The E2 Super (Malkoff rated at 900 lumens / 12,000 cd) - in the same range as the lights being discussed in this thread;

e-2-s-2(2).jpg

The Bodyguard v.2 (1,150 lumens / no factory rating on cd);

bgv-2-2.jpg

The E2 Hyper Throw (500 lumens / 35,000 cd);

e-2-ht-2.jpg

The now-gone E2XTD (650 lumens / 70,000 cd);

e-2-xtd-2-1(2).jpg

These are what I consider true EDC lights - small and light enough to carry every day in a pocket without knowing it's there. On a 18350 body, under four inches OAL and under three ounces in weight. Run time is in the 30 - 60 minute range, more than enough for what I might need under normal every day circumstances. Note: I carry a MD2 with the original M61T module and spare CR123 batteries in the console of my car in case I need longer running illumination, such as having to hike from a vehicle breakdown.

retenton-4.jpg

E2-HT-18350-2.jpg

Here is the larger (1.25" head diameter) E2XTD on an Oveready body which I carry in a horizontal belt carrier;

HBC-3.jpg

Compared to a "6P size" light;

fatboycl-2.jpg

I every-day-carry (EDC = having the light on my person, without fail, every waking moment I'm not in bed) the light above on my belt for strictly defensive use and a modified SF Tactician in a front pocket for everything else. The combined weight of these extremely capable lights is about eight ounces;

edclights-1.jpg

While larger lights with longer run times have their role, at least for me the days of EDCing "6P size" or larger lights are long gone now that smaller, lighter and more capable alternatives are available. If I'm participating in a Search & Rescue mission, I'll grab the Hound Dog on a MD4 body - and still bring extra 18650 cells with me.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the nicely written report, but I think I am having a cognitive malfunction here due to the street light obstructing your beam shots..Z

I enjoy MD2/M61T/18650 3500mAh Panny... That combo worked for years for me. You can shave off a few grams here and there but it's so comfy to hold.

I've got that Malkoff MDC 1x123 light also. Just as bright it seems and half the size. Maybe I should EDC that more now that you inspire me.

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting NH Lumens, and I'm sure many agree with you about EDC size.

However, not me.

I have carried 6P/G2, 9P/G3 sized flashlights since 1995, on my belt, in holsters (I do not "pocket carry" flashlights, I've never understood that).

From 1984-1995 I carried a Mini-Mag in a holster, on my belt, and at times a 2 or 3 C-cell MagLite, until getting SureFires.

I realize I may be the exception about this, and that's fine.

Megalamuffin

Enlightened
I have become accustomed to carrying essentially a "batman" EDC loadout that covers all my bases and then some but it adds up to a lot of weight.

I don't really attempt to save weight and just carry what I like, but I am also young with a young back. As I get older saving weight on every edc item will likely become more important to me, but as it is now I really like to pocket carry an MD3, C3, or C2 and so on.

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
The weight of EDC stuff adds up fast, but I feel "naked" if any of it is missing.

View attachment 49073

I've held a CCW since 1985, and carry more "stuff" then that, as I also ALWAYS carry a spare magazine, or speedloader, with my primary care firearm.

I'd also feel naked without my "stuff", but just as I won't skimp on a proper flashlight, along with my firearms.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I EDC'ed the MDC-123 (whatever it's called.) MDC 3.4-6V. Have some 18mm cell in it. Nice. Totally disappears in the pocket. Nice punch for what it is and I've come to love the warm tint.
I think I will EDC that in the fall. The warm tint lights up the depressing fall mood.

Megalamuffin

Enlightened
At the park again tonight, still had the C2 with 61SHO in my pocket and I grabbed the E1 hyper throw to play with.

61SHO on a slightly used 16650, but I think it's still got enough juice to be at full output.

IMG_7784.jpeg

E1 hyper throw on a fresh LFP123 cell. Lasts all of about 18 minutes, but it's free lumens.

IMG_7785.jpeg

Good thing I had my trusty E1HT to spot boris the spider and his giant web.

IMG_7786.jpeg

The E1 hyper throw is unsurprisingly the clear winner outside, it's a pretty hot little potato. The E1HT and 61SHO are very different in their purpose so it's not really a fair comparison, but still fun to compare.

Robot Mania FU

Newly Enlightened
Hey, anyone who has the 61sho and m91b on high/low rings, can you tell me if there's a noticeable difference between the two on low when running two li-ions?

Robot Mania FU

Newly Enlightened
On low and on two Li-ion cells, the M91B is substantially brighter.
Thanks for confirming that for me. I should have assumed so, but the beamshots of the single cell 61sho so close to the m91b on two cells made me think twice.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hyper throw. Learning a new thing every day and it's a rare among the rares, and you need special LiFePO4 cells for it. *sigh*

But it shines. A perfect example of why lux is more important than lumens. Only 325 lumens but higher lux than M61T.

The Lux at 1 meter is approximately 23,000. It is an outstanding medium to long range spotter. The output is approximately 325 measured out the front lumens.