The Official CPF Hot Sauce Thread!

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Just got this one in the mail today; avocado hot sauce with mango - very vegetal taste, good avocado flavor, but the heat hides until the last moment and you get a burning surprise in your throat.. Should be amazing on tacos/taquitos..
32319826417_2025839a1f_o.jpg

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ordered some Dave's insanity today! Also found 3 bottles of Fat Cats at my local Marshall's. Such great little known sauces.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mmmmm. Marie Sharp's.
I keep it in the house, along with Tabasco green jalapeño, the obligatory Sriracha, and Blair's death sauce (or the after death).
Gotta love it.

nosuchagency

Newly Enlightened
this side of perfection. respectable heat, but not at cost of flavor. only issue is $ in having to order online as i've never seen locally.

Lumen83

Enlightened
Whats everyone putting the sauces on? I've heard chicken and tacos, but I am wondering is anyone doing anything besides meat. Thinking of a way to sample sauces as a snack rather than having a meal. Chips maybe? Any recommendations?

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Whats everyone putting the sauces on? I've heard chicken and tacos, but I am wondering is anyone doing anything besides meat. Thinking of a way to sample sauces as a snack rather than having a meal. Chips maybe? Any recommendations?

Depends on the sauce, different sauces work better with different foods, it's part of the experience..

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast

I literally put sauces/spices on anything. If you want to sample sauces you can't go wrong with pretzels or soft tortilla shells!

Bicycleflyer

Enlightened
OH boy!! I like this thread.

I keep about a dozen or so hot sauces in my house. Most are the very, very hot variety such as ghost pepper or Habanero. We have a market here in Cincinnati called Jungle Jim's. They keep about 3 to 4 thousand different sauces and rubs on hand. I am lucky enough to live 5 minutes from there. I'll try to get a picture tomorrow. I am going there tomorrow to see if they have that Kumano Sauce mentioned above.

As much as I like trying the different Xtra hot sauces, my favorites are still the classics like Tabasco, Louisiana, or Cholula. I like flavor as much as I do heat.

I used to carry Tobasco in my flight bag to put on the various tasteless foods I would encounter in my travels. One problem I kept having was the lids kept cracking and the sauce leaked out into my bag. So I decided to look for something different. I settled on dry rubs because they did not leak and soil my bag or the contents. At first I just carried your garden variety red pepper flakes. The kind you would use on Pizza. That worked OK, but I wanted something with better flavor and a bit more heat. I finally found a product called "Habanero Heat wave shake" made by a company called Tom's Garden. It has good flavor and heat. In addition it does not leak into my bag.

Here is a good story you may like...

My father, six months before his passing came to visit me. One evening at dinner dad was looking at my collection of hot sauces. I usually keep three or four on the kitchen table. He took some and starting pouring it on to his hot dog. "dad" I said "that is very hot". he kept on pouring like it was Texas Pete or something. I spoke a little more louder "Dad, That is really hot". He looks at me and say "I know son". I decided (and remembered) that my dad is one of those people who has to learn things on his own. My son, who was 10 at the time was very aware of what was about to happen, He ran upstairs. So dad bit down on that hot dog...then he began to turn red and spat out that sauce laden wiener. He must have drank 10 gallons of water. Of course after I made sure he was going to live, I laughed my butt off at him. I of course shared this story with my sisters who in turn teased him as well. He passed about six months later. I was told that he would never touch hot sauce again, not even the weaker stuff.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Been meaning to post here since I saw this thread made a week or two ago :duh2::devil::huh:

So I've had this hot sauce for several months. I like spicy and tasty sauces, but had been wanting one that is truly "HOT!" and bought this one on a store shelf near me. It makes me respect YouTube personalities like Sean Evans or the L.A. Beast for being able to consume lots of ridiculously searing and painful spicy things and hot sauces.

So I finally built up the courage to try three drops of this on my tongue straight on a spoon a while back. I knew it would be hot because I've tried hot sauces with habanero before or had habanero in a Thai dish in a restaurant and know how seriously uncomfortable it can be. Long story short I really regretted doing it and it was 5 minutes of burning pain in my mouth. Maybe some are immune, but for most people like me this is not a hot sauce you casually eat a bit of plain.

That being said this is a great sauce that will last me FOREVER since you literally only need a few drops mixed well into something like a bowl of scrambled eggs or a portion of a cooked dish to give it decent heat. It's not the tastiest sauce in terms of flavor, but I do like how it tastes in food. By itself the flavor it horrible and just completely ruined by the searing burning all over your mouth, lips, and tongue.

Decent very hot sauce that is pretty specific in its use. I'll have to eventually try other sauces that are maybe slightly less hot and with more fruity taste.

Devil in a bottle lit by bonus appearances of the Fenix E40 and Fenix CL20 :

icKwdwr.jpg

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Once you get to habanero level and beyond, you can't really do the individual drops on individual bites of food anymore; get yourself a bowl of chili and see how few drops you need to mix into the entire bowl..