The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I finally figured out my perfect work light! I switched the tailcaps from my surefire 6p with extender with my MD2, now i have tailstanding long running (M61L) backup light that can run cr123's or in a pinch AA's- and as my primary light, an MD2 with M61N but with a protruding tailcap and a bit shorter then a complete MD2.

I find that its more comfortable for me to use, has a high and a low (perfect for pupils) and I have a Mcclicky in it so I still have momentary. I'm enjoying this lego for flashaholics...

:twothumbs

I just bought a MD4 body and Wildcat neutral head , I plan on running two 18650,s ...........any thoughts here for me please ??
Is the Wildcat brighter than the Hound dog ?

Congrats on the purchase; I just bought an MD4 and Wildcat neutral head, too! I'm going to run my two 16650s in it until I get a pair of Keeppower 3400mAh 18650s. I would recommend cells that are purchased at the same time and married for life.

The current Wildcat has been described as a true wall of light with almost no hotspot, which produces very little throw. The Hound Dog is a dedicated thrower, as I understand, so under most circumstances you really wouldn't be comparing them to each other. That being said, if you were to tailstand them in a room to compare lumen output the Wildcat would look a bit brighter than the Hound Dog.

Does this help?

djdawg

Enlightened
Iam new to the science of lights , I dont know what Lux is .....LOL
You say brighter but less Lux ..............
Iam taking it that the Hound dog is more of a search light , where the wildcat has a broader beam (wider) ???
I,ll find out when it gets here but thats probably not till wed.

djdawg

Enlightened
Yes it helps and thank you very much for your time and output on this ............
Cant wait till wed. now .........lol

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lux is the measurement of the intensity of photons on an object. While a flashlight generates lumens, we see the resulting lux reflected back off of objects.

Let's imagine that there are two lights with emitters that each produce 1000 lumens. If one of them is a relatively small XP-L emitter inside of a large lightly textured reflector, those lumens are tightly focused into a small spot of light, delivering high lux at the spot, and less lux at the spill (the light that wasn't focused by the reflector).

If the other one is a huge MT-G2 emitter with a very shallow, heavily textured reflector to focus the photons, those same 1000 lumens are spread across a large area, so the lux at any one point within it's beam is significantly less than the other light.

Hound Dogs actually have a multi-purpose light pattern that is quite similar to the M61....only much brighter in the spot due to the larger reflector and more lumens to focus. They have a bright central spot, while the spill is very usable. Most dedicated throwers have most of the photons focused into the spot, and little spill.

A CPF member 880arm has a flashlight review website, flashlightguide.com, and on this site you can look at side by side beam shots of the Hound Dog and the current and last generation of Wildcat.

Last edited:

djdawg

Enlightened
Ummmm , making sense now .............when I recieve it I,ll compare my hound dog to it.
Thanks for helping me ................dj

mckeand13

Flashlight Enthusiast
I finally figured out my perfect work light! I switched the tailcaps from my surefire 6p with extender with my MD2, now i have tailstanding long running (M61L) backup light that can run cr123's or in a pinch AA's- and as my primary light, an MD2 with M61N but with a protruding tailcap and a bit shorter then a complete MD2.

I find that its more comfortable for me to use, has a high and a low (perfect for pupils) and I have a Mcclicky in it so I still have momentary. I'm enjoying this lego for flashaholics...

If the Malkoff tailcap gets you excited try an Oveready Triad or RPM. You'll think you've gone to heaven!

djdawg

Enlightened
I have two NCR 18650,s that are made in Japan it says on them that I plan on using .........
I got them at the same time so they should be the same ..................
They are lime green colored with a gold line down the side of them ..............

Last edited:

djdawg

Enlightened
One more question please ..........I have a little Malkoff MDC 2-3.2V one battery light that Malkoff says not to run an RCR batt in it ..........does any one here run an RCR ?? Will it take the batt without burning up the light ??

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
No. You must always be conscious of your input voltage. RCR 123A would be 4.2v. You would damage the light.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have two NCR 18650,s that are made in Japan it says on them that I plan on using .........
I got them at the same time so they should be the same ..................
They are lime green colored with a gold line down the side of them ..............

My NCR18650s are flat top cells (actually slightly recessed + contact), instead of button tops. Their negative contact is flat, without protrusions to provide electrical contact to the other cell's positive contact. If yours are also like this, then it's unlikely that they will work in series in the MD4 without a way to get the two cells contacts to connect.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hound Dog is it. It has a very useful low mode, a blindingly impressive high mode, great runtime, great throw and yet tons of spill.

I would say my only complaint is lack of a anti-roll bezel. I can kind of live with that, and the MD4 body should have a slightly more aggressive knurling. Minor things. The positives outweight these 100:1, very impressive "Malkoff Device".

djdawg

Enlightened
More thanks ..........I didnt give that much thought .....LOL
Mine are 18650 B .........It looks as though they will make contact to me ..........there kind of button top , certainly not recessed.
I,ll find out on wednesday though I suppose.
Even the tail is not recessed to me .....thet protrude more than my AW brand

djdawg

Enlightened
I wish I,d gotten into Malkoff and El;zetta a long time ago ..........My China lights have giving me alot of trouble , not all of them but 3 or 4 have quit working.
Live and learn I suppose.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine are also NCR18650B and they do not work in the MD4. Ya might as well buy four so you can keep the light running if you end up draining two of them while using the light. I mark mine with their purchase dates and suffixes, in case I buy more than two at a time, so I can keep them paired for life.

All of my protected 18650s are AW, ranging from 2200 to 3400 mAh, spanning at least 5 years of usage. They all still work great, and I've got no reason to use anything else.

Last edited:

Paul in Mi

Newly Enlightened
Just a quick "chime-in" from a proud new owner of my first Malkoff: an MDC SHO HA. Fantastic light for EDC, the only change I made was to adjust the pocket clip so it wasn't quite so tight. Other than that, I think it's about perfect.
-Paul

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you have flat top cells, use a small flat neodymium magnet inbetween to make the contact. They work great.

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am excited to have my first Malkoff waiting at the PO for me to pick up tomorrow...M61WL!!!

Just a quick "chime-in" from a proud new owner of my first Malkoff: an MDC SHO HA. Fantastic light for EDC, the only change I made was to adjust the pocket clip so it wasn't quite so tight. Other than that, I think it's about perfect.
-Paul

Exciting times! My first big Malkoff should be waiting for me when I get home for lunch today :D

Status
Not open for further replies.