The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

QMT93

Enlightened
QMT93,
I can't answer your questions, but one thing to do is to email the Malkoffs (from their website), and ask to be placed on their email list. This should get you notifications for when they have sales. You might also want to ask them then how to apply for the 20% off first purchase discount.

I did that, and am waiting for their reply. Thank you for reminding me about this!

Yes, once you sign up for their email list, you will be emailed your 20% off coupon code. If you have Gmail look under your promotions folder. I was on the phone with Gene while looking for mine and he said I should have it, but I never found it, two days later I saw it in my promotions folder. He just manually gave me the discount off over the phone. You can't get better lights and customer service.

I subscribed more than 3 days ago if I recall correctly, but I haven't seen it, so I messaged them on Facebook to ask if they can check to see whether I'm on the mailing list. And yes, their reputation is pretty much indisputable.

Plus, they personally sign every receipt

I did read about that too, I think a personal thank-you note?

Ya gene and Cathy are real good people.not to sound cruel but kinda glad they had a fox problem all them years ago. that situation had brought a lot of joy to us nuts

Ah, the fox problem I didn't hear about. I read the article on the Medium, but no fox was involved :p. Hope they have already got rid of that.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
1) Does Malkoff have holiday sales, such as July 4, Black Friday, etc.?

Gene will sometimes have "Flash" sales for 15% or 20% off. I don't remember thinking that those sales correspond to major holidays, although he may do that from time to time. It won't be advertised on the website, though. You have to be on the mailing list and use the specified coupon code. Don't worry if you couldn't find the first email from Malkoff. Just keep an eye on this forum. The junkies will surely chatter about any flash sales.

2) Does Malkoff offer discount for students, veterans, forum members (the code is "CPF" if I understand correctly)?

Not sure about students and veterans, but I don't think there is a CPF discount. (If there is, I've been missing out!) However, once you buy a Malkoff flashlight, you'll have the opportunity to post a review in exchange for another discount coupon. It's a vicious cycle, really. Gene is a drug pusher.

3) How to apply Malkoff "20% off 1st purchase"?

At the time of purchase, you'll have the opportunity to enter the discount code.

QMT93

Enlightened
QMT93,
I can't answer your questions, but one thing to do is to email the Malkoffs (from their website), and ask to be placed on their email list. This should get you notifications for when they have sales. You might also want to ask them then how to apply for the 20% off first purchase discount.

Yes, once you sign up for their email list, you will be emailed your 20% off coupon code. If you have Gmail look under your promotions folder. I was on the phone with Gene while looking for mine and he said I should have it, but I never found it, two days later I saw it in my promotions folder. He just manually gave me the discount off over the phone. You can't get better lights and customer service.

Plus, they personally sign every receipt

Ya gene and Cathy are real good people.not to sound cruel but kinda glad they had a fox problem all them years ago. that situation had brought a lot of joy to us nuts

Gene will sometimes have "Flash" sales for 15% or 20% off. I don't remember thinking that those sales correspond to major holidays, although he may do that from time to time. It won't be advertised on the website, though. You have to be on the mailing list and use the specified coupon code. Don't worry if you couldn't find the first email from Malkoff. Just keep an eye on this forum. The junkies will surely chatter about any flash sales.

Not sure about students and veterans, but I don't think there is a CPF discount. (If there is, I've been missing out!) However, once you buy a Malkoff flashlight, you'll have the opportunity to post a review in exchange for another discount coupon. It's a vicious cycle, really. Gene is a drug pusher.

At the time of purchase, you'll have the opportunity to enter the discount code.

Ah, Gene and Cathy have replied to my message, and I have received the email. But I didn't know about the review thing, so thank you for that. "Drug pusher"? More like "powerful light", if you watch Star Wars :p

QMT93

Enlightened
Hi guys,

What is the difference between a regular tailcap and a tricap? On the M61T MD2, single-output comes with a regular tailcap, but hi/lo comes with a tricap. On the Hound Dog XM-L, which comes in hi/lo, tricap is $10 more. Does it do anything on the Hound Dog XM-L?

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
The tricap is just the outside shape is different to the standard tailcap, it is still a clicky switch.

The hi-Low ring/switch is installed in the head of Malkoff lights.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Ya it's just a much nicer looking design. It is a little longer then the standard tail cap tho. Also it is flared a little at the end making it easier I think to hold on to.if you look at my lights 4th and 5th
E4-B3-C843-1-A06-4837-98-CA-099-E87-FEB2-E6.jpg
from the left you can see the difference side by side.

Last edited:

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
The tricap is revolutionary. Apart from good looks, it also makes the button easier to reach. For example, my wife struggles to actuate the switch on the standard tail cap, but she has an easier time with the tricap. Additionally, the tricap acts as an anti-roll device. Prior to the days of the tricap, Malkoff flashlights could be trusted to roll around like a loose ball bearing. That was, in my opinion, the only demerit of the Malkoff design.

If it won't cause hoslter fitment issues for you, then I highly recommend the tricap. If it will cause holster fitment issues, then I recommend the tricap and a custom made holster.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Good point about anti roll with that tail cap. Your right there really isn't much that can be improved on genes design. Top notch light.

QMT93

Enlightened
The tricap is just the outside shape is different to the standard tailcap, it is still a clicky switch.

The hi-Low ring/switch is installed in the head of Malkoff lights.

I see. Thanks!

Ya it's just a much nicer looking design. It is a little longer then the standard tail cap tho. Also it is flared a little at the end making it easier I think to hold on to.if you look at my lights 4th and 5th
E4-B3-C843-1-A06-4837-98-CA-099-E87-FEB2-E6.jpg
from the left you can see the difference side by side.

I agree, it looks better than the regular tailcap.

The tricap is revolutionary. Apart from good looks, it also makes the button easier to reach. For example, my wife struggles to actuate the switch on the standard tail cap, but she has an easier time with the tricap. Additionally, the tricap acts as an anti-roll device. Prior to the days of the tricap, Malkoff flashlights could be trusted to roll around like a loose ball bearing. That was, in my opinion, the only demerit of the Malkoff design.

If it won't cause hoslter fitment issues for you, then I highly recommend the tricap. If it will cause holster fitment issues, then I recommend the tricap and a custom made holster.

Ah, I see. It acts as an anti-rolling feature. Nice! Thanks!

QMT93

Enlightened
Spec sheet: the Malkoff Hound Dog XM-L is rated for 20,000 candela. It can operate at up to 12V's.

Question:
1) 20,000 candela can only be achieved at 12V's output. Is this correct?
2) Is it possible to get 12V's out of 2x18650 rechargeable batteries? If not, is the theoretical maximum voltage output 7.4V's (from 2x3.7V batteries)? At 7.4V's, what would be the candela count? How can I calculate it?

I've been reading on batteries, and using parametrek to find batteries. Even KeepPower could not provide more than 7.4V, as far as I search. Am I missing something?

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

CREEXHP70LED

Enlightened
Spec sheet: the Malkoff Hound Dog XM-L is rated for 20,000 candela. It can operate at up to 12V's.

Question:
1) 20,000 candela can only be achieved at 12V's output. Is this correct?
2) Is it possible to get 12V's out of 2x18650 rechargeable batteries? If not, is the theoretical maximum voltage output 7.4V's (from 2x3.7V batteries)? At 7.4V's, what would be the candela count? How can I calculate it?

I've been reading on batteries, and using parametrek to find batteries. Even KeepPower could not provide more than 7.4V, as far as I search. Am I missing something?

You get 8.4 volts out of (2) 18650's when fully charged to 4.2 volts each. If you use 12 volts (actually a little more by using 4 CR123A cells) you might get more initial brightness but it will fall off and the capacity of the 18650's will take over.

The Malkoff HD XM-L will run 1 hour on (2) 18500 2000 mAh protected cells in a MD3 body or 2 hours in a (2) 18650 cell in a MD4 body using 3500 mAH protected 185650 Kepppower cells. This is for the Neutral tint only the Cool White will be higher lumens.

T51zCS2.jpg

Last edited:

QMT93

Enlightened
Thanks! I did read the battery review on Malkoff devices. I'm just curious if my understanding is correct, regarding the relation between voltage and candela, and how to calculate one if given the other.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The candela is entirely reliant on the output from the light.
The Hound Dog has a regulated output, and as long as the voltage supllied is within a certain range, the output will be the the same.
The graph below shows outputs on 4.2V, 9V and 12V. Although the runtimes are obviously different, the outputs are basically the same.
The only way the output from a light will vary due to voltage is if the light is unregulated, such as a Direct Drive light
If you read Gene's descriptions you will notice he says something like "Below this value the light will drop out of regulation and run in Direct Drive".

Click on the graph to go to the original article on FlashlightGuide.
P

Last edited:

QMT93

Enlightened
I see better now. I read the "Driver" thread but wasn't able to connect it here.

Another question: how come we don't have a body that can use 3x18650?

@CREEXHP70LED said 2x18650 could get to 8.4V discharge from 4.2V each, then this number decreases over time. Based on that, am I correct to say having 3x18650 would get us 3x4.2=12.6V, slightly over 12V output but well under 14V limit, before the LED is damaged?

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gene may not make a triple 18650 body, but 18650-length extensions exist. I bought mine from Oveready. Neither the anodizing nor the knurling match between the body and extension, but it works.

It's length of 11 1/4" with a high voltage Hound Dog and Triad tailcap. I have an open bottomed nylon sheath that will work with this setup, but I've never tried it to see how it would work.

QMT93

Enlightened
Can you post photos if your setup?
I thought we can Lego the Malkoff (flashlight) body together, without needing foreign extension? Besides, is my understanding correct regarding the voltage?

Status
Not open for further replies.