The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian1911

Newly Enlightened
Anyone think its possible to EDC a 2 cell hound dog? I really want something with power and throw like that but just cant be so sure it could pocket carry all that well.

bstrickler

Enlightened
Well. I just bought a Malkoff M61 last week, and now I find blems for $29 each! And I just bought 2 of the blems! Now I'm up to 3 Malkoff's in less than a week!

TheMechanic

Newly Enlightened
Help me, Malkoff junkies!

I've got several Malkoff modules - a couple of older ones (don't remember the model, but I think they're early M60s) and an MC-E. I'd like to put together the ultimate toughest AA light, and I'm thinking a 3-cell Elzetta body (I might settle for an older 9P) which should take 2xAA with a reducing sleeve. The only question mark is the module.

Their site says the M31 fits a VME head; my question is, will it fit in the same space that an M61 or M91 would?

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
The M31 has identical dimensions as the other modules you already have. Something else to consider. Any of the regular M60 or M61 modules will run in a low output moon mode state for alot of hours on AA cells.

Cerealand

Flashlight Enthusiast
For you guys who order the "B" parts from Malkoff, would you be able to post some pictures of those items? I'm just curious on how they look.

TheMechanic

Newly Enlightened
The M31 has identical dimensions as the other modules you already have. Something else to consider. Any of the regular M60 or M61 modules will run in a low output moon mode state for alot of hours on AA cells.

Moon mode? We don't need no steenking moon mode! :eek:

Thanks for the info. I couldn't figure out why the only fit option was the VME head - but I though it used the P60-style module, so I got confused. I'm thinking an M31 or M31W with a couple of Duraloops in an Elzetta 3-cell body will do the trick. If I could find a cheap 9P body I'd use that, but people are getting outlandish prices for the things now that they're discontinued.

From what I've seen, Malkoff's warms are a little on the yellow side for my taste, but that was the M61 module. Anyone have experience with the M31W versus the regular one?

Dingle1911

Enlightened
I just received two blemished VME heads and two m61 modules. On the heads I had to look hard to find a blemish. They do have a small b engraved in town places. The b is a lot more obvious than the blemished. I cannot find any thing wrong on the modules. I am satisfied, I plan to put them on carry lights and use them.

I also have plan to try an m31 with AA's, what do people use as a sleeve to make up the diameter difference between cr123 & AA?

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I couldn't resist stocking up on some parts from the B sale. Have the Hound Dog XM-L head and MD4 rig on its way. This will be my first chance to compare the XM-L Hound dog to the original and to my older Wildcat with the four XR-E type LEDs behind 4 TIR optics that has always been a very good performer.

I see a test video coming in the near future. Still love my oridinal older M60F (flood) M60-MCE flood and all my other Malkoff lights as well.

jonesy

Enlightened
Here's a shot of my blemished Hound Dog XM-L head on an original MD2 body with clip. You can tell the anodization is a different color, and feels a bit rougher than the other parts, but it's in perfect working condition. Going from 240 lumens to 750 is hilarious, I can light up trees halfway down the block, and the spill is very useful. I'm not sure how Gene did it, but it's awesome. I love the legoability of the Malkoff's- I was going to get a jetbeam BC series, but it only works with 4 batteries- this lets me mix and match.
HD_5698.jpg

HD_5705.jpg

jonesy

Enlightened
I'm also getting an MD3 body. What battery combinations can I run? Obviously, I can use 3 CR123's, but what else fits in there?

Cerealand

Flashlight Enthusiast
In a MD3, you can also use two (2) 18500, three (3) 18350's, or two (2) AA batteries.

BenChiew

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I did a unscientific runtime test for an M61 on a single RCR123 and got about 35 minutes at full output and still plenty of light (%30 or so) an hour later.

This makes it a viable option for me as an EDC. Right now I'm running it in an E1E body VME head and E-series twisty tailcap.

What rcr123 are you using? I only got about 5min from an aw rcr123 500mah on a m31.

jonesy

Enlightened
In a MD3, you can also use two (2) 18500, three (3) 18350's, or two (2) AA batteries.

Great, thanks! For running AA's, don't you need to run a m61LL? I thought I read somewhere that that's the only module that really works.

Glock 22

Enlightened
Just a quick question has anyone tried the M61HO? I've got a 9P and was considering getting one of these to go in it.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great, thanks! For running AA's, don't you need to run a m61LL? I thought I read somewhere that that's the only module that really works.
I think you need a m30/m31 if you want it to be regulated. All the m61's will go out of regulation on 2 aa's, so it dont matter how many L's you got. It will be dim and run forever anyway.
Just bought a 219 m61lll with a valiant head. Also ordered a vital gear fb1 and fb3 tube. The fb3 will be using 2xaa's.

ganz-lite

Newly Enlightened
Put an XML dropin into a 3D maglite... turned a yellow beam into a nice tight white beam. Eagerly awaiting to further modify it and try to lower internal resistance. Malkoff's stuff is amazing, I'm surprised more LEO's and FD's haven't heard of / use his stuff (The NYPD, for one has a weird rule that lights have to be minimum 2C sized, to max 3D sized for primary, and there's no provision in the book for LEDs, for example)

J_Roc

Newly Enlightened
Here's my contribution:

Malkoff MD3 with a DS titanium clip, Hound Dog XM-L, M91W Hi/Lo, 3xRCR123 in the body and 3xCR123 as back-up. :)

edc012.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts