The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

flashlight chronic

Enlightened
In a Surefire C2, powered by an AW 3400 mAh 18650, here are my readings with a Fluke 115 set to measure max amps:

M61 219 - 1.173 amps
M61N - 1.149 amps
M61 XP-G - 1.025 amps
M61 XP-G2 - 1.055 amps

M61L XP-G - .270 amp
M61L 219 - .311 amp
Interesting. Only 300ma w/ a single 18650? I thought it'd be a little higher than that, even though they're the low output version.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting. Only 300 ma w/ a single 18650? I thought it'd be a little higher than that, even though they're the low output version.

I was as surprised as you. I also took readings of the full powered module with two CR123s yesterday, and thought maybe I had the wrong cells in the body for the L test.....nope.

A fresh test with a different 18650 in a C2 just gave me 282 ma. With two CR123s, the reading is 255 ma.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received the in stock notification yesterday afternoon for high/low switches, while at work and not near my laptop. I didn't think about it once last night, but finally remembered now. There was only one left. I'm glad I only need one.

While there, I picked up another M61N. There were only four in stock, and I'm not sure if this will be a regularly stocked item. I wish I would have picked up a low output neutral while they were offered.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Would be good to see the tempature of the same light handheld. I often do bounce with a light meter, and find that, yes, the flashlight can get really hot just sitting there, but when I hold that same light, over time, there is often no significent heat buildup.

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would be good to see the tempature of the same light handheld. I often do bounce with a light meter, and find that, yes, the flashlight can get really hot just sitting there, but when I hold that same light, over time, there is often no significent heat buildup.

i like the idea of thermal viewing while handheld.

OrBy

Newly Enlightened
When it started leveling off around 32C I stopped the video as really that's not very warm what so ever. The 6P really does a good job of getting heat away from the head and holding the light would likely pre-warm it and mask or minimize any real changes that the FLIR would pick up. I can give it a shot but it may be a bit more jerky.

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you have any other Malkoff Drop ins that you could compare the M60 to? The M60, being an XP-E, (235 Lumens) does not generate as much heat as the M61 XP-G (325 lumens) or the M91 XM-L (750 lumens). The newer XP-G2's and the M91A may be even more efficient in light output, but I am not sure though with regards to heat.
Thanks for doing the other test for all of us. That is pretty cool. :thumbsup:

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received an M61N module purchased from the previous batch on Malkoff's site. When I inserted it into a host and turned it on I was very surprised.

It's got a tint unlike any of my other rosy M61Ns. I then compared it to an M61 219. The N has more yellow tint than the 219. Naturally, my next comparison was with a P90 incan bulb, and it was damn close. It's a perfect match for one of my Neutral MC-E Prometheus Alphas.

Are others from the last batch this same way?

Is it an anomaly? No, you can't borrow it for "testing" purposes.

Is this the new N standard? If so, it could make a lot of incan lovers very happy.

Grizz

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
I've got a quick question for Gene if he pops in... Have you thought about an M361 multi-level dropin for us G2/G3 lovers, with a "Plastic Light" safe high level? I'll bet you could sell a few... :D EDIT- Would the current M361 be safe for continuous runs on high in a G2 with an aluminum Z44 head? I'd still be interested in a lower output version, just curious. Thanks!

Last edited:

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received an M61N module purchased from the previous batch on Malkoff's site. When I inserted it into a host and turned it on I was very shocked.

It's got a tint unlike any of my other rosy M61Ns. I then compared it to an M61 219. The N has more yellow tint than the 219. Naturally, my next comparison was with a P90 incan bulb, and it was damn close. It's by far the most incandescent-like LED assembly I've ever had.

Is this the new N standard? If so, it could make a lot of incan lovers very happy.

Grizz

My M61N purchased from Oveready is the same as you describe. It is a very, very nice drop in. :thumbsup:

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received an M61N module purchased from the previous batch on Malkoff's site. When I inserted it into a host and turned it on I was very surprised.

It's got a tint unlike any of my other rosy M61Ns. I then compared it to an M61 219. The N has more yellow tint than the 219. Naturally, my next comparison was with a P90 incan bulb, and it was damn close. It's a perfect match for one of my Neutral MC-E Prometheus Alphas.

Grizz

I have a few M31N and M61N, all from Oveready. Also I have a few M61 219 from Illumination Supply. Yes, your experience very well correspond to mine.
The neutrals are 4000K and 219 are 4500K so the neutrals are more yellowish compared to 219. Actually my neutrals are pretty similar to former Malkoff M61W, (not the very first batch of M61W which was, I think, ~4500K).

Status
Not open for further replies.