The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nickmen

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

just got two more questions of the mdc 1aa.

1. Does the light make noise on the different modes?
2. Is the PWM noticeable?

Thanks in advance!

greetings from germany

Nick

Last edited:

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you use a VME bezel with a single mode M31 module, you won't experience any. The M31 variants do not have any PWM.

fresh eddie fresh

Enlightened
Hi,

just got two more questions of the mdc 1aa.

1. Does the light make noise on the different modes?
2. Is the PWM noticeable?

Thanks in advance!

greetings from germany

Nick

If you use a VME bezel with a single mode M31 module, you won't experience any. The M31 variants do not have any PWM.

I'm pretty sensitive to it, and sold off my orange and blue MDCs because of PWM. The CR123 SHO version does not have it, or like RI Chevy mentioned, the single level drop-ins do not either.

Nickmen

Newly Enlightened
Thank you very much for your fast answer.

OK, that sounds bad. I was thinking about buying the MDC 1AA 219 from illumn.com. The light was perfect for my needs, but if the PWM is noticeable it is not the right light for me.

greetings from germany

Nick

xdayv

Flashlight Enthusiast
same setup... e1d body, vme, m61wll | e2d body, e1d head.

bbed59a51895895d72177bb1dec2f203.jpg

what I like with this combo is you easily swap the heads and provide different combo of output and runtime.

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get the M31 219B V2 drop in from Illum, Get the AA host and the VME bezel from Malkoff and you will be good to go. Single mode only though.

KJ4GR

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for a new light in neutral for walking through the woods during deer season. I am going to be using a climbing stand during crossbow this year so my hands will not be free and I need a light on my forehead. I started looking at zebralights and other headlamps but it seems that QC & CS is very poor from these companies. I had a slight issue with my first Malkoff order about 5 years ago and they didn't just make it right, they made me a Malkoff customer for life!

I will be able to use a handheld for the last 7 weeks of gun season since I will be using ladder stands. I have been using my M91 with two 18650s but think I want a smaller footprint. Would the MDC XP-L 16650 be too much to use in the headlamp holder placed on the side of the head? I only have to walk @ 1/4 to 3/4 miles so it would only be used about 15 minutes. I might switch to a $15 energizer headlamp once I get to the tree and start attaching the climber. I really like the 20/100/450 that the MDC 16650 offers and I will be able to use it for many other applications and also use it for gun season and not have to use my cool M91.

Do you guys this this will work or do I need to be looking at the zebralight type headlamps? Thanks! (I am trying to kill a few birds with one stone)

mckeand13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any flashlight strapped on your head is going to be a lot more throw than a headlamp. Apples and oranges. If you need/want that throw, by all means check out the MDC as you mention.

If you want flood, I would highly recommend a headlamp. Not to detail this thread with that info, but PM me if you want some help/recommendations on that.

tex.proud

Enlightened
Malkoff Junkie here. A MD2 M361N nestled amongst the other daily tools ready for work in the telecommunications field.

IMG_20160810_191459_zpsuy1zmxfl.jpg

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I am looking for a new light in neutral for walking through the woods during deer season. I am going to be using a climbing stand during crossbow this year so my hands will not be free and I need a light on my forehead. I started looking at zebralights and other headlamps but it seems that QC & CS is very poor from these companies. I had a slight issue with my first Malkoff order about 5 years ago and they didn't just make it right, they made me a Malkoff customer for life!

I will be able to use a handheld for the last 7 weeks of gun season since I will be using ladder stands. I have been using my M91 with two 18650s but think I want a smaller footprint. Would the MDC XP-L 16650 be too much to use in the headlamp holder placed on the side of the head? I only have to walk @ 1/4 to 3/4 miles so it would only be used about 15 minutes. I might switch to a $15 energizer headlamp once I get to the tree and start attaching the climber. I really like the 20/100/450 that the MDC 16650 offers and I will be able to use it for many other applications and also use it for gun season and not have to use my cool M91.

Do you guys this this will work or do I need to be looking at the zebralight type headlamps? Thanks! (I am trying to kill a few birds with one stone)

Malkoff MD-2 hi/lo and a Malkoff head light holder.
It turns your MD2 into a headlight.

The low setting will be plenty of light at 4am.

Tribull

Enlightened
I think I'm officially a Malkoff junkie. I received my Maratac aa rev 4 a few days ago and I'm not impressed like I am with my Malkoff lights. Don't even want to use it��

dhunley1

Enlightened
I think I'm officially a Malkoff junkie. I received my Maratac aa rev 4 a few days ago and I'm not impressed like I am with my Malkoff lights. Don't even want to use it��

LOL. Same here. I'm giving my Maratac AA to my nephew. Mine has a hideous blueish tint that just doesn't compare to any of my Malkoffs. I'm a junkie, for sure!

Now if Gene would just make a AAA MDC...

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Today I received two M61NL dropins together with another two Keeppower 16650 2500mAh cells. Awesome beam profile and tint with a very good compromise between brightness and runtime.
The luxmeter confirms that the XP-G2 M61NL is brighter than XP-G M61WL. I placed one of the M61NL in my Surefire G2L fire rescue host. I have not yet decided where I will put the other M61NL. The possibility to use 17670 and 16650 cell is very good with Surefire G2 models. The brightness is lower with 3,7V Li-Ion than with 2xCR123 though: as with predecessor M61WL(the first generation with XP-G was around 5000K though it was called warm) the brightness with a Li-Ion 3,7V cell is ~80% of 2xCR123 cells. Not a big difference for the eyes but much more economical and I think definitely better runtime with 16650 2500mAh cell than with 2xCR123.

I feel that while the technical development results in higher and higher efficiency and performance, all is not about the highest possible efficiency and performance. I think these Malkoff dropins are pretty timeless and they will still be used decades ahead. No overheating issues and no need for special ultra high drain cells. I have great multimode lights but I really like the simpleness of single mode as well.
Malkoff dropins are "no nonsense" devices when they are as best!

There is only one thing I like better with the first release of M61, however: the hotspot of XP-G dropin is more punchy than with XP-G2 which looks a bit "fuzzy" in comparison.

Last edited:

xdayv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey guys, what's your preferred weapon light drop-in? - Me thinking of M61N on a 6P body, unless you have other suggestions? I think it's not too overwhelming in lumens especially when in tight closed quarters, at the same time, good enough for outdoors. TIA.

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey guys, what's your preferred weapon light drop-in? - Me thinking of M61N on a 6P body, unless you have other suggestions? I think it's not too overwhelming in lumens especially when in tight closed quarters, at the same time, good enough for outdoors. TIA.

Hey kabayan.
Yes, M61N would be a superb choice for an all purpose dropin if you already have a 6P.
For a rifle though I would be biased towards throwier options, something with a TIR maybe.
Still, inside 30yd the M61N will serve you well.

xdayv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey kabayan.
Yes, M61N would be a superb choice for an all purpose dropin if you already have a 6P.
For a rifle though I would be biased towards throwier options, something with a TIR maybe.
Still, inside 30yd the M61N will serve you well.
kumusta? what TIR drop-in will you point me to? it's a 6P body. The other option is MD2 with one of these - T or HOT.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
My 6Ps that are mounted on the 12 gauge and last backup AR use M61Ns. My mounted MD2s have T or HOT engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.