The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does Mr. Malkoff have something else up his sleeve? Or is there really that much demand for after-market e-series switches?

On the Chinese sites there are clone Surefire Scout weapon lights available from about $30, strip off the head and switch and replace with a Malkoff E Series tailcap and a Malkoff M300/M600 head for a very nice weapon light.

Perhaps that's why 'fits Surefire E-Series Bodies and most clones' is in the description.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Cool! (No pun intended... well thinking about it, yeah it probably was)

Do you see a difference? What I mean is does the new one throw a bit father, or light sideways better? Many times bumped up lumens result in an improved beam in one form or another without a ginormous appearance of being brighter.

Changes like the Elzetta Alpha 415 throws better than the 315 type of change.
My 175 lumen Pelican 2350 provides a much better spill than the 100 lumen version while not throwing as far as the 100 lumen version.... but better runtime. lol.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
^^I'll probably have it by Wednesday. Can't wait to record my impressions here. Or maybe in a dedicated Malkoff drop in thread? Last I heard the mods had this thread slated for execution.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/v...7-Malkoff-LED-drop-in-for-Surefires-Spec-List
Like this one?
I'm hoping this will receive a stay for general commentary and let the already started other threads be in a sticky somewhere so that those searching for specifics can click on those and this one remain for the miscelanious discussions.

I'm looking forward to your comments as well.

Perhaps I'll upgrade my MD2 with the new drop in and use the former in a Pelican 2320 I recently revived.

Last edited:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
[...]Last I heard the mods had this thread slated for execution.
Ya, on my to-do list. :-/

There should be a master M61 thread in the archives; or feel free to create a "Malkoff M61 - now at 4xx lm" thread
as it could be a popular thread by itself perhaps. And staff can link to it in the thread that will replace this one.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quote: There should be a master M61 thread in the archives;

Why in the archives? If the thread is a master thread, shouldn't be pinned to the top or at the very least active? I don't follow. Or do you mean you will bring back a thread from the archives.

Now all this entails work that every new Malkoff thread will have to be included in the master thread? Who is going to manage that?

jellydonut

Enlightened
Finally moved into the next generation of Malkoffs with the arrival of an E2 Super Throw!

qm7at0Z.jpg

First remarks, those extra few millimeters shaved off compared to the VME head really count. It is noticeably more compact.

Secondly, it's way lighter than a VME head. I'm going to go ahead and guess that Malkoff has chilled a bit on the use of brass inside the head to accomplish this.

The beam is not as pencil thin as I had imagined for a 'super throw'. The hotspot spills a bit out so that it is approximately the same size as an M61, but it is of course more intense in the center of the hotspot than an M61.

I think I will be buying the 3-volt version to replace this VME.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting. Looks like equivalent of M91T initially -- or slightly below, maybe at the M61HOT level - but for the E series.

NH Lumens

Enlightened
Finally moved into the next generation of Malkoffs with the arrival of an E2 Super Throw!

First remarks, those extra few millimeters shaved off compared to the VME head really count. It is noticeably more compact.

Secondly, it's way lighter than a VME head. I'm going to go ahead and guess that Malkoff has chilled a bit on the use of brass inside the head to accomplish this.

Nice! I've truly been tempted to buy the 750 lumen/12,000 lux version to pair up with my MDC 2-CR123 body for use as a smaller/lighter EDC defensive light.

Below is the light I will be taking to an upcoming Low Light Pistol Operator course at the Sig Sauer Academy here in NH. It's a MD2 with Tricap and the M61T head (with high-low switch) being run on a pair of IMR 18350 1100 mah cells. As seen in INFRNL's runtime graphs, this head wakes up nicely at higher voltages and with these cells provides well over 75 minutes of steady 450 lumen output. I suspect the rated 12,000 lux is probably closer to 14,000 at this voltage. Additionally the low setting is much brighter (and more useful) at the voltage provided by two cells vs. a single 18650.

The light as shown weighs 6.8 ounces, so it's not a lightweight. But thanks to all of the brass it can run continuously at maximum output without over-heating and as a defensive tool, should serve well as an impact device. The Raven Concealment clip makes it easy to carry in a pocket and the DIY finger lanyard is indispensable for retaining the light when need both hands are needed for pistol manipulations (magazine changes, clearing stoppages, etc.). The O-rings seen on the head give greatly improved grip and make turning the bezel for high-low switching with one hand much easier.

I've also tried this exact set up with a MD3 body (with a set of 18500 cells) but found this MD2 version a bit easier to handle and of course, easier to carry.

edc-3.jpg

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've just started running my M61 Nichia on two 18350s in my MD2, the low is much more useful, too.
Can't believe I hadn't thought of it before.
P

Last edited:

NH Lumens

Enlightened
NH, Does photo version of DYI finger lanyard break-away?
The style of paracord plastic cap is new to me..
Good use of oring in head groove!
Thx..

Through some "destructive testing" I found the steel Raven Concealment clip - which is split so it can be spread to install - pops off the light and will save the finger. The break-away barrel connector seemed redundant so I went with a non break-away connector.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
As seen in INFRNL's runtime graphs, this head wakes up nicely at higher voltages and with these cells provides well over 75 minutes of steady 450 lumen output.

That is true. I noticed the same thing. I've run M61T in all configurations. Decent lumens in MD3 but not runtime. MD4 has runtime and nice lumens. MD2 has neither one but has the compact factor which is why I EDC it.

I installed the Surefire Z41 tailcap onto MD2 making it even more compact. I am not complaining with regards to output to size ratio.

NH Lumens

Enlightened
MD2 has neither one but has the compact factor which is why I EDC it.

In the MD2 with a pair of 18350 cells, it's got the same output as the larger bodies. I haven't tested it but interpolating the graphs it would seem about 75 minutes of rock-steady 450 lumens.

On a pair of 18500 cells in the MD3, it goes up to nearly 2.75 hours.

On a pair of 18650 cells in a MD4, 4.75 hours.

Considering the form factors of each, not too shabby in any of them.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the MD2 with a pair of 18350 cells, it's got the same output as the larger bodies. I haven't tested it but interpolating the graphs it would seem about 75 minutes of rock-steady 450 lumens.

The catch here is that the runtime is awfully shorter than any other combination. 18350 have low capacity ranging between 750 and 900 mAh and even that is questionable. The lumens will exceed that of 3500 mAh cell but the runtime won't even come close. He hasn't tested that particular combination.
Plus there are potential complications from having multiple cells, what if one discharges faster than another?

IMO 2x18350 is never a good idea, now a single one works well in place of 1x123.

If you must have maximum lumens off the MD2 form factor, sounds like Malkoff M61HOT is precisely what you need. Off 1x18650 it will exceed lumens from any cell configuration of M61T.

Status
Not open for further replies.