The Official Zebralight Thread .

recDNA

Flashaholic
Yeah all this battery stuff was hashed out months ago, over and over again. They probably made it extra-short so protected cells wouldn't fit, because the light needs more current than they really want to give. Also Zebra wanted to use pogo pins instead of springs for that same reason - more current carrying capacity. And since pogo pins have a much shorter range of "adjustment" for the fit, the size of the cell becomes very particular. These weren't just pointless design decisions, they're relevant to the performance of the light.

And as far as Zebra's lights not "filling your hand", well yeah, that's what they do. Zebra makes small lights. Lots of other people make big lights, if that's what you want.
But if they're crushing GA flat tops where is one to go?

recDNA

Flashaholic
I figured the NCR18650GA fit fine in my SC600w HI...I guess it does. But after a while just being in my briefcase I noticed the top was crushed in pretty bad. Just simply from tossing my briefcase into my car rather gently. I can't imagine it was caused by this light, but since I don't swap batteries, it definitely was. I never dropped it or handled it rough.

As long as it's only cosmetic I'm fine with since it's such a great light.

Same with my SC63w.
You won't know if it is only cosmetic until it vents right?

ven

Flashaholic
Dont want to go over old ground, however marks GA top is on the more sever side of pushed in..........I have had a few over the years which have looked not quite as bad(they do push in too easy though!). No issues other than cosmetic, mine were caused by drops with the cell in a light(not ZL). Stil for piece of mind and what a cell costs, i would swap it out for another high drain(maybe one that is shorter in the specs).

Way too early as only a couple of days, however the 30Q I am using shows no signs at all of any dents/pushed in. The base of the cell also looks fine other than the normal little swirl from the contact spring. I always check my cells when charging anyway, so anything untoward over the coming weeks/month.........i will report with pics.
As of now

the end

markr6

Flashaholic
Thanks for the update ven. At the risk of getting flamed and told I'm not able to bring up anything from the past, I won't update my NCR18650GA damage. Just keep an eye on them like you said.

ven

Flashaholic
Thanks for the update ven. At the risk of getting flamed and told I'm not able to bring up anything from the past, I won't update my NCR18650GA damage. Just keep an eye on them like you said.

Coincidentally, i checked a BD cell in my predator...........guess what

Its not the only cell i have used in the v2.5 pro, so might have been caused away from this light..............but its been in there and used for maybe 12m or more.

Still getting used by the way:)

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
But if they're crushing GA flat tops where is one to go?
Well when I made that comment the discussion wasn't about crushed cells. It was about only fitting unprotected cells. If there's new info to add then of course I think it's valid discussion.

Besides, when did folks start caring what I think anyway... :)

ven

Flashaholic
That's a different design then to the sc63w vad, this has 3 pogo's at the + and a moderate spring in the tail cap. Maybe the sc63w does not suffer the same(sorry if been mentioned in previous posts).

Trevilux

Enlightened
For me the new interface has become indispensable.

For the SC5w MK II I use the G7 group as follows:
H1-0.33 lum H2-3.2 lum (direct access one short click)
M1-550 lum M2-274 lum (direct access 2 clicks)
L1-21 lum L2-92 (long press)

Perfect distribution: 0.33 / 3.2 / 21/92/274/550

I hate now my old SC52, I think I should get the new SC53 .....

TlRht40.jpg

ven

Flashaholic
Awesome pic Trev, could reach out and grab it from the screen:D I am also a big fan of the UI on the sc5c mkII, very cool how you can change the levels around and have 3 groups. Although more advanced than the older UI reg programming, i still like the old UI as well. As long as i can get a couple of levels i use the most easily, i am happy.

tompen41

Newly Enlightened
What happened to the SC32W. Is it discontinued or just out of stock. Can't find one anywhere.

Enlightened
What happened to the SC32W. Is it discontinued or just out of stock. Can't find one anywhere.
It would not at all be surprising if they dropped CR123 models for having a fraction of the sales of the 18650 and AA ones.

Trevilux

Enlightened
Arrived SC53c, I love the tint and the configurable interface. This and the SC5w MK II are my new EDC for rotation, the old SC52 with CW.... is in the box again...

bgLDVNe.jpg

DU0YlVv.jpg

jc9msla.jpg

TCY

Enlightened
I might as well post this here for more people to see. For those who are wondering about ZL's IPX7 rating:

I asked ZL over a year ago about the awkward IPX7 rating and here's their reply:

"We actually believe that the waterproofness of all of our lights are better than any other popular brands. The three possible ingress points (glass, switch cover, and tail cap) are all designed and verified thoroughly and manufactured to high standards."

So it basically sounds like ZLs are IPX8 and tech guys at ZL are just conservative when it comes to ratings. If one is careful enough to observe, all of ZL's newer generation lights like the H53 and SC5 Mk II line are rated IPX8 instead of older generation's IPX7 however they have the same (2 meters, 30 minutes) after them which is another evidence of them being conservative in the past. AFAIK ZL is the only manufacturer that actually specifies their water ingression test condition which is required by the IP rating system (immersion depth and duration are to be specified by manufacturer).

For those who don't know, the IP6- rating is for solid particle protection. Since solid particle (e.g, dust) are larger than water molecules I believe every IPX8 rated flashlight should naturally be dust proof.

Which is another reason why I trust ZL products and would 100% recommend them.:thumbsup:

Lesterq

Newly Enlightened
Is the Zebralights with their PID flashlights with the longest runtime on High mode?

TCY

Enlightened
Is the Zebralights with their PID flashlights with the longest runtime on High mode?

Depends on ambient temperature, PID is just a mechanism to maintain the light's heat in a predetermined level (IIRC all ZL's PID kick in at 53 degrees C by default), PID alone doesn't have much to do with runtime. If used in a low temp environment, the light runs on higher levels for a longer time thus decreasing runtime, vice versa.

Alyx

Newly Enlightened
Just got my hands on a SC600W MK3 HI and I'm already looking to get a second ZL light which would either the SC600Fd or SC600F.
What are the differences between the two other than the latter being more powerful in terms of lumens?

TCY

Enlightened
"d" means higher CRI, tint within a smaller variance (3 vs 5 Macadam Ellipse ) and neutral white (5000K) tint.

I'd grab the Fd over regular F all day every day.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have SC53c since some week. I also got the H53c. Nice warm tint, but these are slightly less bright than SC52w/H52w.
About the SC53 I don't understand why Zebralight does not make it with knurling like SC5 instead of this pretty slippery surface.
Anyway, a slippery body is not a problem with side switch as it is with tail switch so it isn't a serious problem, just that it could have been better.