The one situation I need an incandescent for...

jhellwig

Newly Enlightened
...and I couldn't get what I wanted.

I need to rewire a shed for my brother in law. I got to add some outlets so that he can plug in the block heaters on his tractors and a couple of lights so that he can see after dark. It doesn't need to be much for light. Just enough to not trip over anything. I went to my electrical supply place and got my parts. I wanted two 300 watt incans. They told me that they didn't think they had any 300s and might not have 200s. Turns out they only had one 200 watt. They did have clear 150s so that is what I went with.

It is just a bummer that the in a situation where incandescent would be ideal I can't get what I need. I could drive across town to menards and get what I want but that is not the point. :ironic:

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
In my local Home Depot, it seems they don't sell anything more powerful than a 60w incandescent interior bulb anymore. 75w and 100w seem to be a thing of the past. Is it possible you've encountered the same issue?

I assume the federal government is regulating high wattage incans out of existence...

oldwesty4ever

Newly Enlightened
Try Lowes, Ace Hardware, etc. Home Depot at least here in California still carrys the GE clear 300w bulbs. Note only 40-100w general purpose incandescent bulbs have been banned and replaced by energy efficient halogens. 150w and up are exempt and are still available. Oh i almost forgot, Walmart also has 300w bulbs but only in frost. They are found in the section were you find clear incandescent and halogen bulbs as well as bug light, rough service, and soft pinks are found.

jhellwig

Newly Enlightened
I know where to get them and I know the are still made. My electrical supply doesn't carry them. I know why they don't. No one is using them much anymore.

It is a bummer because there are still a need for them. There is absolutely no need to install any leds hid or fluorescent in a location where it will only get used for 10 minutes once or twice a month. Maybe when the incans burn out 300 watt replacement leds will be cost effective.

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can I ask why you prefer a clear bulb, when the frosted/soft-white are much less of a point source?
And what about using two bulbs + splitter, for redundancy.

I have 2x 150watt + splitter in the attic. Doesn't even get 10 hours of use per year.

jhellwig

Newly Enlightened
Can I ask why you prefer a clear bulb, when the frosted/soft-white are much less of a point source?
And what about using two bulbs + splitter, for redundancy.

I have 2x 150watt + splitter in the attic. Doesn't even get 10 hours of use per year.

Well if that is dirrected at me, The 150 clears are what the place had. They are going in two separate porcelain lamp holders. The shed had 3 bay so one light in the middle of two bays.

I might go get some 300 frosted tomorrow though.

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought that if a shop carries 150w clears, it would probably have 150 frosted...
Hey, if that is all they had I understand, get what you can to get the job done.

I like the department of redundancy department, so I'd probably use 2 splitters & 4 100w bulbs (or their 72w EISA replacements, while waiting for the '2x' bulbs to materialize, specifically the 71w=150 watt 2600 lumen one) for ~6000 lumens of fun.

jhellwig

Newly Enlightened
What is really disappointing is the rated life of the bulbs. I went and got 300 watt bulbs and it looked like there were several filament supports. They are rated for 750 hours. The 150s were the same. The rating on the box said that it was .7 years rated life at average usage.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
If its a ceramic fixture, just screw a florescent or LED into it...and you should have enough light, and, a longer run time/less maintenance.

brickbat

Enlightened
What is really disappointing is the rated life of the bulbs. I went and got 300 watt bulbs and it looked like there were several filament supports. They are rated for 750 hours. The 150s were the same. The rating on the box said that it was .7 years rated life at average usage.

You said you'll use it for a few minutes a month. This thing will outlast you...

Number21

Newly Enlightened
I was surprised to find a bunch of 200 and 300 watt bulbs at Home Depot, right next to the LEDs. :D I was also disappointed that the 300 watt bulbs were rated at 130v, so they were only something like 260 watts at 120v. (or so the package claimed) I'm sure the useful life would be nearly forever.

I plan on ordering a bunch of higher wattage incandescents for the third floor of my shop, it's just storage up there and I have 3000+ square feet to light. 1000bulbs.com sells them up to 1500 watts, and they're pretty cheap too!

jhellwig

Newly Enlightened
If its a ceramic fixture, just screw a florescent or LED into it...and you should have enough light, and, a longer run time/less maintenance.

That wasn't so much the point of this whole thread.

I do know that even with the low life that the bulb is rated for it will last forever.

I did talk to the guy I did the project for today and even with the pitiful amount of light that two 300watt bulbs put out he is happy with the amount of light. No more tripping over things to get the tractors out of the barn.