The Quark lights thread! (Part 5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wapkil

Enlightened
I ordered a Quark AA Regular with two AW 14500's and a charger. Waited 12 days for the package to get to Taiwan. And what shows up at my door?

Two AW 14500's. No Quark, no charger.....

Like... :oops:

Oh wait... one more thing came in the package.
wtf.jpg

ARRRRGGGGG!!!!!!

I believe they are writing about something similar in the Convention Against Torture. On the bright side, you can always be thankful that you haven't received two 10440 UltraFires :nana:

KuKu427

Enlightened
I believe they are writing about something similar in the Convention Against Torture. On the bright side, you can always be thankful that you haven't received two 10440 UltraFires :nana:
:ohgeez::ohgeez::ohgeez:
I have three of those things... 500mah my a$$!

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow! Nice brochure!

Oh, man that sucks :shakehead I would call by phone if you can from over there on the other side of the pond. See if they can`t get yours to you fast with some upgraded superfast mail. Sorry...

KuKu427

Enlightened
Wow! Nice brochure!

Oh, man that sucks :shakehead I would call by phone if you can from over there on the other side of the pond. See if they can`t get yours to you fast with some upgraded superfast mail. Sorry...
They replied to my first email 5 hours ago. I also took the opportunity to add a Quark AA Tactical to the order. Been waiting for Paypal instructions for 2 and a half...

Looking at that brochure hurts me in a way I've never been hurt before... :green:

Time to fire up Skype....

Update: Thank you for calling XXXXXX. Our office hours are blah blah blah blah leave a message blah blah blah....

Last edited:

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Time to fire up Skype....

You probably know that the time in ATL is exactly 12 hours earlier than in TPE this time of year.

Also, check out the 4Sevens mailing label, for my domestic orders it lists the contents in large print on the margin (not sure I like that idea). Obviously, check your account to see if anything was backordered.

KuKu427

Enlightened
You probably know that the time in ATL is exactly 12 hours earlier than in TPE this time of year.

Also, check out the 4Sevens mailing label, for my domestic orders it lists the contents in large print on the margin (not sure I like that idea). Obviously, check your account to see if anything was backordered.

Which is why its funny that I get a machine at 2:30 in the afternoon.

wtf2.jpg

Inliner

Newly Enlightened
Nitecore D20 still Tops

I carried my new Quark 2AA on duty for a week, but it's been relegated to an "around the house" light. I knew what I was getting when I bought it, and I love the moonlight mode and the Q3-5A tint :twothumbs

But this Quark made me realize that I need instant access (one handed) to low and high. Having to cycle through SOS and Beacon annoy the heck out of me. A strobe I can live with, if it isn't in the way, but SOS and Beacon.... :mad:

So, as much as I hate the Nitecore D20's puny clip, and cool white beam, it's back in my pocket each night.

jahxman

Enlightened
Re: Nitecore D20 still Tops

But this Quark made me realize that I need instant access (one handed) to low and high. Having to cycle through SOS and Beacon annoy the heck out of me. A strobe I can live with, if it isn't in the way, but SOS and Beacon.... :mad:

Sounds like you needed the tactical....I have mine working well so that I can switch modes while on with one hand - of course to turn it off you might have to change your grip to access the button.

wapkil

Enlightened
[a mailing label]

Ehm, it is up to you of course, but you may want to reconsider publishing your full address... It's nothing secret, and can be easily found but why do it when there is no need to. Yup - paranoia saves lives ;)

KuKu427

Enlightened
Ehm, it is up to you of course, but you may want to reconsider publishing your full address... It's nothing secret, and can be easily found but why do it when there is no need to. Yup - paranoia saves lives ;)
That's the address I put on my packages when I ship lights out from TW and I don't really see anything to worry about.

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Which is why its funny that I get a machine at 2:30 in the afternoon.

Different label, I use PayPal for domestic orders, but it does indeed list the intended contents after your name in the address block. Looks like another production error in the shipping department.

I had almost the same order recently, the QAA was one of the natural tints so the charger and 14500's were held until the QAAW's arrived, not a problem with me.

Sorry you have to wait, I've had some issues myself but these are great lights IMHO.

KuKu427

Enlightened
Yup! Looks like a great light!

That's why the waiting is killing me!!!:hairpull:

I just ordered a tactical with priority shipping and left a note for them to ship what's missing from my previous order along with it.

wapkil

Enlightened
That's the address I put on my packages when I ship lights out from TW and I don't really see anything to worry about.

I know but in this thread it will probably eventually be seen by the number of people orders of magnitude larger than the number of your customers. And not all of these people will be nice guys.

I'm not trying to scare you, it's only an address and almost certainly because of it nothing bad will ever happen. I'm sorry for the off topic, it's just that safety is all about reducing the chances and not taking unnecessary risks. I consider it healthy paranoia but I agree that sometimes it may be too extreme.

KuKu427

Enlightened
I know but in this thread it will probably eventually be seen by the number of people orders of magnitude larger than the number of your customers. And not all of these people will be nice guys.

I'm not trying to scare you, it's only an address and almost certainly because of it nothing bad will ever happen. I'm sorry for the off topic, it's just that safety is all about reducing the chances and not taking unnecessary risks. I consider it healthy paranoia but I agree that sometimes it may be too extreme.
You're not too paranoid wapkil. Too paranoid is when you rent a cheap apartment so you can have an address to ship and receive from. ;)

bcwang

Enlightened
You don't have to. Shut off and it will restart from moon.

In my experience, it is faster to cycle through than to shut-off and restart from moon. Many times I've shut off and waited what I thought was 4 seconds and it still came on in the next mode.

bcwang

Enlightened
You current measurements are very reasonable, I got the following values: 2.4mA, 14mA, 98mA, 422mA, 2300mA

Woah, that is a significant difference in current consumption going from high to max. Is that even right? There is no way an eneloop could last 1.3 hours at that rate.

Maybe it would be more accurate to use a fixed voltage bench supply giving a steady 2.4v to see how much current is drawn in each mode. If you're doing it through the batteries I'm sure the voltage drop results in increased current consumption at the higher settings.

wapkil

Enlightened
Woah, that is a significant difference in current consumption going from high to max. Is that even right? There is no way an eneloop could last 1.3 hours at that rate.

You are right, there is no way for an Eneloop to last 1.3 hours and it doesn't last that long.

I believe the measurements are correct. You can for example see selfbuilt's test in which the light ran in regulation for ~1h plus additional 5min. to 50% output. Actually at that rate it is impossible for an Eneloop to last even one hour but the output and the power consumption drop down after a few minutes.

HKJ

Flashaholic

According to selfbuilds review it does not last 1.3 hours, only 1:05 hour and it starts with a slightly higher output on fresh batteries.

Maybe it would be more accurate to use a fixed voltage bench supply giving a steady 2.4v to see how much current is drawn in each mode. If you're doing it through the batteries I'm sure the voltage drop results in increased current consumption at the higher settings.

A power supply can give a more stable voltage, but what voltage is correct for batteries? Fully charged NiMH is more like 1.4 volt each.
The best would be a curve of current draw with different voltage, but it is a lot of work for a 5 mode light and next problem is that I have not found a good way to get a stable low ohmic connection from the power supply to the flashlight.

Status
Not open for further replies.