The Quark lights thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HKJ

Flashaholic
David, I don't understand this. The output of the LED is determined by the current flowing through it, which is supplied by the output (or secondary) of the driver. If the Quark current regulating driver supplies the same current to the LED using either 1.5v or 4.2v batteries, why is MAX for 1.5v 90 lumens not 170 lumens? Maybe the 1.5v cells can't produce the required max output current with the Quark driver. Is this true?

Hugh

Probably because the MCU is measuring the battery voltage and switching between different drive levels for max, depending on the voltage.
This is done to limit the current draw from the battery and probably also to protect the driver form very high currents.

oldpal

Enlightened
If the Quark current regulating driver supplies the same current to the LED using either 1.5v or 4.2v batteries, why is MAX for 1.5v 90 lumens not 170 lumens? Maybe the 1.5v cells can't produce the required max output current with the Quark driver. Is this true?

Hugh

Thats exactly it. At 1.5v it drops out of pure regulation and the runtime graph is progresses like a gentle ski slope. All the other modes medium and lower will be in regulation. You won't find a 1.5v flashlight pushing more than 300-350ma - it's impossible with a single AA. Remember the boost circuit is multiplying the voltage nearly 3x.

I hope this helps.

Yep, that clears things up for me. Thanks

Probably because the MCU is measuring the battery voltage and switching between different drive levels for max, depending on the voltage.
This is done to limit the current draw from the battery and probably also to protect the driver form very high currents.

Yes, if the driver is smart enough this might be what's happening. Maybe 4Sevens can comment.

Hugh

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, if the driver is smart enough this might be what's happening. Maybe 4Sevens can comment.
Hugh
No, the MCU doesn't do that. There are two self limiting factors that kick in. 1) the boost circuit can only multiply the voltage so much. the only way to overcome this is by using bigger inductors and other driver chips that are more capable (which means bigger and more chips - impossible to fit inside the head) 2) The internal resistance of the battery will limit how much current the battery can deliver. NiMH's naturally will do better than Alkalines (which buckle under extreme pressure)

antiplex

Newly Enlightened
today seems a good day - i finally placed my order for a 2aa multimode light that i've been looking for about 1.5 years now.

after getting more or less frustrated while waiting for the ra clicky/twisty 2aa tube for ages and finally switching my focus on a liteflux lf3xt with a announced 2aa tube which also seems to get further and further delayed i stumbled over the great news that the 4sevens quark model is available!

yikes, i ordered right away and now can't wait to hold this beauty in my hands :drool:
i hope the tint wont be too cool but rather neutral and the light itself robust enough to come along with me for some time and light my way.

thanks in advance 4sevens for offering what i've been looking for many months!

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
The QAA is not half as bright as the Q123.... apparently, it can be just as bright and also offer many more powering option possibilities.

4sevens has given a great explaination of why the QAA is about half as bright on 1.5 volt AA batteries. The Q123 is smaller and runs full blast on one lithium cell.

But, your logic is persuasive, put in a 14500 for full regulated brightness and have readily available AA's as a backup...:twothumbs

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
4sevens has given a great explaination of why the QAA is about half as bright on 1.5 volt AA batteries. The Q123 is smaller and runs full blast on one lithium cell.

But, your logic is persuasive, put in a 14500 for full regulated brightness and have readily available AA's as a backup...:twothumbs

VOX... I love Li-Ion powering for flashlights and if a light can run on Li-Ion, that's generally my choice of powering, so to my way of thinking the Q AA is a 14500 Li-Ion light and the Q 123 is a 16340 Li-Ion light, even though both will also run on primaries. In this way I view them as comparable Li-Ion lights. Output is the same and runtimes are very close. They differ in length and the versatility of clip reversal/removal.

The option of being able to run lithium primaries, NiMH rechargeables, or God forbid, alkalines, if necessary, is a wonderful extra benefit of choosing the Q AA that the Q 123 doesn't offer. But since I also have and really like RCR123/CR123 lights, I just ordered a Q AA complete light and a 123 body to allow numerous powering/profile options as desired. That's just how I would want it to be. And when the tactical switch becomes available, I'll add one of those to the "kit" and be happy as a clam! :thumbsup: Not sure whether I'll use my light more in with the AA-size body or the 123-size body.... time will tell. But as a standard, I will be powering it with Li-Ion, either 14500 or 16340. I keep a good supply of long-life lithium primaries (L91, L92, and Panasonic CR123) in the fridge, and some Eneloop NiMH cells, but these are secondary powering options for me... just as back-up/emergency use cells.

Last edited:

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looking at the 47`s site I see a charger for $18.50 and 14500 batt for $12.00. But I plan to buy and use the 18650 batts soon (waiting to see what 47`s has to offer in the quad light they will be releasing soon). I need to keep costs down...is there going to be a charger offered at the 47`s store soon that will handle both 14500 and 18650 batts? Any other ideas?

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looking at the 47`s site I see a charger for $18.50 and 14500 batt for $12.00. But I plan to buy and use the 18650 batts soon (waiting to see what 47`s has to offer in the quad light they will be releasing soon). I need to keep costs down...is there going to be a charger offered at the 47`s store soon that will handle both 14500 and 18650 batts? Any other ideas?

This one does both:
http://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?cPath=53&products_id=207

I have one and it work flawlessly on all my Li-ions.

Sverre

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't wait for the tactical models. I'd like to get a Quark AA tactical and run it on a 14500. I'd have bezel down carry, same output as the 1xCR123 model, and hopefully a easier to work switch. I'd just give up tail standing.

Also tempted to pick up a 2x123 Quark... HELP!

I might need to think about selling off some of my other lights. :)

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
theres a new tailcap boot in process to fix hard clicks :twothumbs

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't wait for the tactical models. I'd like to get a Quark AA tactical and run it on a 14500. I'd have bezel down carry, same output as the 1xCR123 model, and hopefully a easier to work switch. I'd just give up tail standing.

Also tempted to pick up a 2x123 Quark... HELP!

I might need to think about selling off some of my other lights. :)

As long as you can afford or don`t care to have the 47`s soon to be released (less than a month?) 18650 powered MC-E blast it to hell light...I say buy away ;) ...see you at the cpf market place :nana:

Kiessling

Flashaholic
I don't care for the flashlights (it had to be said :nana:), but I really like the offered bodies as battery carriers with caps and clips. :D

Once the 2x123 hits the shop, my order is inbound.

bernie

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
FWIW, my Quark AA^2 is a noticeably better thrower than my Fenix LD20 which is a noticeably better thrower than my Fenix L2D lights. :thumbsup:

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast
Status
Not open for further replies.