The SF A2

Status
Not open for further replies.

lightplay22

Enlightened
Great post!!!!!!!!!!!! Now I 'm even more sure that my hard earned money was well spent on my A2 and the one I bought my wife. If only one light to choose, for me it would be A2, its just so good! Thanks for that post; It should be somehow posted on surefires website. Great information!

Topper

Flashaholic*
Jim, you inspired me to find mine. It has been AWOL for a month;maybe two. I found it (right where I left it) blew the dust off and still good to go. Thanks for you super review on the A2.
Topper

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Jim,

Very nice review, but it is actually more than "just a review." The technical aspect of this light is amazing and it is great to hear it explained so clearly.

I put off getting an A2 for a long time. When I put together the Light Meter Benchmarking testing, one of the lights we are checking is an A2, I decided that it was time to get one. I ended up with the yellow green LED's and find this combination extremely useful. After reading your technical description, I appreciate this light more than ever.

Tom

greenLED

Flashaholic
Man, I just re-read this, and I'm one step closer to wanting one. I'm not sure if my wallet thanks you, js (I sure do! :crazy:)

rabbit

Newly Enlightened
Mine is with white LED, is it true that the 'yellow green' led is brighter? Thinking of getting another one:paypal: after this review :rock: but with different colour led.....

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Rabbit,

I measured the A2 with white LED's at around 40 lux (at 1 meter) on the LED's, my yellow green A2 comes in at around 8 lux. The yellow green is quite a bit dimmer, however for dark adapted eyes, it is great.

Tom

GadgetTravel

Enlightened
Wow, fantastic post. Thanks.

I usually have my HDS U60 with me in my pocket at all times. I often also have my A2. When I travel my A2 is always in my backpack and on the nightstand in my hotel room if in case I need a light in the middle of the night. I lost my first one, a white LED model, and got a YG LED model. I might have to go and get another white LED this week ;)

Thanks again for the post, and I agree completely. Nothing beats a good, regulated incan. Coupling that with the LED is just a fantastic light.

ths11

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the pic js.

So the newer A2s do have a round body. Now I definitely will have to get one. I think an A2-HA-RD would be good for indoor use, or maybe an A2-HA-YG...or...

I have MJLEDs in my black A2, mainly because the original ones were a bit too blue for my taste, and I pulled them forward a bit for even more flood. I use R123s and the MJLEDs seem to be doing fine.

One suggestion: there have been a number of threads about the A2, but since this is without doubt THE definitive A2 thread; why not add links to relevant threads in the first post (like the USL index thread)? Searching for them is a real pain.

Then we could point here whenever someone asks for info on the A2.

A few to start off:

Dummy reference guide to SF A2 modding with MJ led (or 35k 5mm) leds
warning about overdriven LED's in the A2
Rechargeable A2?
A2---Help with Removing Lanyard Ring
A2 tune up thread
Problem with Surefire A2?
Surefire A2 dimming LED???

Last edited:

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
ths11,

I am planning on providing some links, especially the older threads I found on the A2--they're really neat.

But, this isn't the definitive thread on the A2, I don't think. It covers ground that maybe wasn't very well covered before, but it leaves a LOT of ground uncovered. I mean, I didn't talk about LED color choices or make comparisons to lots of other lights, or tell how to do regular maintenance and upkeep, or mods, or troubleshooting, etc., etc. A thread would have to be about three or four times the length of this one to be the definitive thread.

I only wanted to make a contribution to the collection of threads about this fine light. That's all.

What I really want to do next, in addition to the page of links, is post a picture of the o-scope readout of the LVR output to the lamp, and give the DC-equivalent voltage set-point and RMS power going to the lamp. Plus the LED-ring current draw (for all three, which is just over 100 mA on primary 123's). And all the neat tests a person can do to his A2 to non-destructively figure out (or convine himself of) what's going on. And discussion of whether or not there is a liner (there is), and what it's for (I think for structural/machining purpose: to hold up the LVR but still allow the body to be created by drilling through from one end) and so on.

But for now I'm going to let this rest. I may post the links sometime in the next week or so, but not the other stuff yet.

Although, I will just mention to people that you can not simply put a DMM in series, in place of the tail cap, and get a valid measurement of the current going to the lamp.

As far as I know, no one here on CPF has really accurately, scientifically calculated these figures for the LVR3L and MA02. Some good guesses are floating around but they have not been carefully and accurately confirmed.

I believe I have those numbers now, but I want to be sure before I post them.

cqbdude

Enlightened
What a great post....:rock:

Thank You for a great write up of the A2...
I have the A2 also ...but unfortunately its been getting neglected..
But after reading your post...I think its coming back out...

boostmiser

Newly Enlightened
Good write up. I love my A2 too and it's pretty much the perfect light. I bought the black HAIII. As much as I love it, I find myself using the Strion more because it's rechargeable. So, with that said, what is the best rechargable setup for the A2?

GadgetTravel

Enlightened
glock_nor_cal said:
I cant decide which LED color to get!!!

Depends on how you plan to use it. For most uses though, after having a white (which I lost) and a yellow-green, I think the white is the best all around. Im planning on replacing my white one. I just cant decide whether to get another A2, a Chameleon or a McLux PD first.....

Status
Not open for further replies.