The SF A2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottyJ

Enlightened
For some reason, I didn't know the A2 was regulated with the incan...now I have to go get one. My wife is going to be pissed at you.

ETA I think Jim is a secret surefire agent planted in CPF.

Last edited:

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
But Jim,

The darned thing only makes 50 lumens. :p

So that's why the A2 you lent me had the "apparent" 2-level incan behavior. Your explanation clears it up for me in a way that even the electrically challenged can understand.

Thank you for dedicating so much time and effort in writing The Book of the A2. It is a joyful paean to a truly brilliant piece of purposeful engineering.

Wilkey

SCblur

Enlightened
Cornkid said:
Im on the brink... teeetering...
Will it be the Apple Nano 1GB or the A2 (with white or yellow or green LEDs) or the Kroma... Hmmm.

I DONT KNOW>..

DRN IT..

-tom

As an Apple fan and a Flashaholic, I feel your pain my friend. That is a choice no one should ever have to make. That's like in bad hostage movies, where the hero is made to choose whose life is spared, his wife's or child's.

My heart goes out to you.

magic79

Enlightened
What an awesome review!

I still prefer my L2 for my applications (mostly indoors), but that doesn't discount the utility of the A2 in any way, except I don't like the three separate hot spots in the beam from the LEDs.

Last edited:

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
magic79,

Thanks!

I too prefer the L2 for indoor applications and if that was the most common situation for me I would EDC the L2 instead of the A2. I actually do sometimes EDC the L2--I'm EDCing it right now as a matter of fact! It's an amazing light.

But for my use most of the time, the incan beam of the A2 is my preference. Both L2 and A2 are rockin' awesome lights, though. How could you go wrong with either one?

nuggett

Enlightened
Thanks to this thread, I have an A2 on the way. I will post some comparisons with the KL1, KL4 and G2 and M6!

Sixpointone

Enlightened
JS,

I just wanted to Thank You for this great write up on the A2. It was so thorough, on so many levels, it truly was a great read.

All My Best,
John

Luna

Enlightened
js said:
I too prefer the L2 for indoor applications and if that was the most common situation for me I would EDC the L2 instead of the A2. I actually do sometimes EDC the L2--I'm EDCing it right now as a matter of fact! It's an amazing light.

Have you picked up any of the rechargables from AW? Ive been using the L2 more this week (just got them from AW ) and really enjoying it more. Even put the lanyard on it due to the excitement. Considering it has been my brief case light for the last year, I think that says alot.

wquiles

Flashaholic
js said:
magic79,

Thanks!

But for my use most of the time, the incan beam of the A2 is my preference. Both L2 and A2 are rockin' awesome lights, though. How could you go wrong with either one?
Same here. For most everything indoors I preffer and use other LED lights. Now, for everything outdoors, I am currently using incandecent lights, the A2 always there with me (it is after all my EDC so it is "always" with me anyway!) either as primary light or as a backup light to another incandecent ;)

Will

cy

Flashaholic
this detail has probably been mentioned before. but I just noticed A2 has a precision pressed collar in body tube.

collar is made out of some type of non-magnetic material. it's pretty hard, so is probably stainless steel. what an elegant way to ensure proper contact between tailcap to body.

very simular to New ARC4 AAA's stainless contact pin ebedded at bottom of AAA body.

a2 tail.JPG

nirad

Enlightened
:rock: :rock: :rock: Excellent review of the A2. Your concise report promted me to aquire one of these versatile illumination tools. I should have one early next week to examine for myself. The anticipation will be hard for me to control until the A2 is finally in my posession.

Thanks again :)

Kraeken

Newly Enlightened
Wow. Awesome post! I lurk here a lot, soaking up information, and I have to say this was the most I have learned in one sitting, and I already own two A2's! I am in the process of selling my E series lights, as they are no longer needed. I still keep the C2 around for the Turbohead and the P61. But the A2 goes with me everywhere!

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ode to an A2! Most excellent!!1

only one problem : you make me want one!!! I"l picking up a M4 really soon but the A2 is not on my radar :p

Draydur

Newly Enlightened
Excellent post.
My 1st quality light... and my !st heartbreaker... those ugly rings.
Did you sand the LED's ? I'm working up my nerve. Don't want to effect resale value. A diffuser or filer works but what fits...?

I got an HDS EDC U60 XRGT a week later and were it not for the incandescent lamp in the A2 and it's allure (voodoo) for me I'd dump the 2 A2 Aviators I bought Green was all the local dealer had but later the new Y/G... Green is too bright and screws up color and contrast. Yellow/green .. the latest and greatest... is really not bad for dark adapted eyes... better (to me) than red).. half as bright as the green.... but those ugly rings.. !!

Sorry, but I want to look at what the light is illuminating, not the beam artifacts. I have the sanding pad and no guts to do the job... maybe tomorrow. The diffuser I ordered won't fit. If it did it would be the way to go.

A-r-rrr-ggg-hhhhh !! :huh:

Last edited:

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Draydur,

Sanding the LED's really isn't that big a deal, and worst case, you can send it back to Surefire and have them replaced if it bothers resale. I have two white LED models, and stayed away from the yellow-green for that very reason, the models I saw just had funky artifacts in them.

The HDS is a great light, by all accounts, but the white incan of the A2 is almost just too good to be true!

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.