The SF M6-R: a regulated rechargeable SF M6 (HOLA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: The SF M6-R: a regulated rechargeable SF M6 (H

Thanks for the update. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

js

Flashlight Enthusiast

Prolepsis's pack is almost assembled and is fully broken-in and cycled. I just have to put it the rest of the way together this evening and make up the connector cord which goes to a stand alone charger, and I can pack it up and mail it out on Wednesday.

I have also made good progress on the other packs. At the moment I need to start them on their break-in 16 hour .1C slow charges.

So, the short version of all of that is that pretty soon field testing should begin.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast

Prolepsis's pack is completed, tested, and working flawlessly, but I didn't get it done and tested in time to pack it up for mailing this afternoon. I may be able to pack it up after work and get it in the mail before 6 pm, but otherwise certainly by tomorrow afternoon.

I had to relearn a few techniques and order of operations, and screwed up a couple steps and had to redo them. Frankly, it was very stressful. Everything is so tightly packed in and there is constant danger of shorting out the LVR or a battery stack unless you do everything just so. I actually did very briefly short out the outputs of the LVR. hehe. I lost my cool at that point and took the Lord's name in vain and said other choice phrases which my wife was unhappy about. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

When everything was together and I went to turn on, I really wasn't at all sure that it would work. If I had blown the power FET, nothing would happen. What an ordeal.

But, let me say, it was all worth it! What a beautiful beam! What a beautiful light! And all of it guilt-free and sustained at the perfect pitch of brightness and whiteness. It's quite a feeling; almost the same as when I first succeeded and made the proto-type M6-R pack. Quite a euphoric high.

OK. I'm babling. Sorry. Onto something important

Fast soft-start:

This new faster setting for the soft-start feature is perfect. It is almost not noticeable it is so fast. I'm very pleased with it. I still don't think you could do morse code with this light, but it's almost that fast.

pyro's and Catdaddy's M6-R's will be done in a week or so, I hope. I will be emailing or PMing you guys with the total costs sometime before the weekend. I need to figure weights and shipping costs to Germany.

rocketmaninphx

Newly Enlightened

I still want to be in line for one of these....

Let us know when and $$

js

Flashlight Enthusiast

rocketman,

Send me an email with the word "NOTIFY" in the subject line, and I will send you an email a week or two before the signup thread opens. Please note that this is NOTIFY list is NOT a signup thread and entails no commitment or exchange of funds. You don't need to be on the list and you don't have to buy anything if you ARE on the list. It's simply a service for those people who do not check in on CPF regularly and who are worried that they may miss the opening of the signup thread.

When field testing is done and I am satisfied that everything is ready for prime time, then and only then, I will open up a signup thread in the modders B/S/T forum where people can get in line and tell me what they want and send me money and so on.

So, just sit tight and keep an eye on things. It's still too early to buy anything (except for field testers).

Everyone else,

I just remembered a couple things: I will be ordering an MN16 M3T HOLA to see if it will work as an M6-R LOLA. I will be testing it in a 3" Carley reflector so that if it explodes I won't ruin my $100+ turbo head, but only a $15 Carley reflector. If this goes well, I will start testing it in my M6, and if THIS goes well, I will suggest that those field testers who have MN16's try them out as well.

Also, I will be trying out the MN20 to see how it performs, but I doubt it will have a decent CCT at 6.8 volts because it is designed to run significantly higher than this. We shall see.

Last edited:

Prolepsis

Enlightened

Awesome, thank you Jim!

I will be posting my impressions of the startup time/feature as I can compare it directly to an M6 with normal batts.

Let's hope mailing to Canada = relatively fast. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

js

Flashlight Enthusiast

Prolepsis,

Your M6-R pack and charging connector cable are on their way to you even now. The postal employee told me 4-6 days. It's going Global Priority mail. Let's hope no over-zealous customs agent holds it up or something like that. I've heard some disturbing rumours about this sort of thing.

Also, I was wondering, should the field tester results, reports, reviews, pictures, comments, and so forth, be in this thread, or should I start an "M6-R Field Tester" thread or something? What does everyone think?

Starlight

Enlightened

Jim, please start a new thread for the field test.

Topper

Flashaholic*

Starlight, its
Jim he's dead. or
He's dead Jim.
never ever did Bones ask Capt. James T. Kirk to post a new thread.
please forgive I could not stop myself.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

Andreas

Enlightened

I would like one of these also!! Please let me know what I would need to do???

Thanks

andreas

js

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Andreas said:
I would like one of these also!! Please let me know what I would need to do???

Thanks

andreas

[/ QUOTE ]

See my post about 6 or 7 posts above. Thanks for your interest, BTW!

OK. I have started a field testing thread Please check it out. [Edit]This also has a non-broken/fixed link in it to brightnorm's review for those of you browsing this thread after the Vbul. software conversion[/edit]

Last edited:

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast

With so many M6 owners following this thread, I figured this would be the place to ask a M6 question.

What are the diameter and length of the standard M6 battery holder. I'm curious if it would fit in a FM fat D. If so, I could make a poor man's M6 using a WA1111 for a computed bulb lumens of 720.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,

Hi Jim,

The one in front of me is 1.450" dia X 3.635" long. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif

Larry

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast

Larry,

Thanks for the info. You never cease to amaze me. The king of the small LED lights showing up to contribute on a hot wire mod site - who woulda thought. You are truely a renaisance man.

Okay, suckup mode off /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif, but I do appreciate the info.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast

Catdaddy and pyro,

Did you get the PM's I sent? You are still interested in field testing, yes? If not, it's no problem, just let me know ASAP.

Status
Not open for further replies.