The SF M6-R: a regulated rechargeable SF M6 (HOLA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Re: The SF M6-R: a regulated rechargeable SF M6 (H

JS,

VERY nice! Any chance of a black box? If not, excellent as is.

Feel better.

BN

js

Flashlight Enthusiast

brightnorm,

Thanks for the bump. I've been meaning to answer your question: YES, I got a black box for your field-tester charging unit (so you can return the proto-type) and also so I could check out the black finish and see how I liked it. Turns out I like it a lot. I think it looks significantly better and it goes nicely with the black power supply. So as long as the finish doesn't flake off when I drill the necessary holes, I'll be making the black box standard for the build run. They also come in grey as well as the plain aluminium, BTW. I should mention that I still think the plain looks pretty good as it is--it's just that the black looks better.

So, here's the situation with my back: I got an MRI and I have a ruptured disc in my lower back and have an appointment with the neurosurgeon on Tuesday of next week. At the moment I'm not in any significant pain (like I was earlier) and my back has "settled down", but I can't really do much in the way of sitting, standing or walking for any length of time. So I'm not even spending much time on-line at CPF (which is sort of a bummer, as I don't have a whole lot else to do! Netflix has come in handy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif )

From what I have read, this is a common back problem and the surgery to fix it is also frequently performed. For background info, this happened way back in May of 2004 and I've done the whole Physical Therapy and less scary approach, so surgery is probably in order. Anyway, as I understand it, people are up and around and mostly back to normal not long after the surgery, which would be a nice change for me, as I have felt more or less debilitated for the past 6 or 7 months.

So, as you can imagine, M6-R stuff, as well as all other projects are more or less on indefinite hold until I find out more about what's going to happen.

If anyone has any info that might be helpful, feel free to send me a PM or email me at [email protected].

At any rate, when I am feeling up to doing some CPF stuff, I have everything I need to make up the M6-R field tester kits, and, believe you me, I would love to be able to get started on them, but I'll be sure to put my health and back first.

Sorry about the delay and Happy New Year everyone.

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast

Jim,

I'm sorry about the delay also. My mouth is watering for an M6-R kit.

But it's completely understandable that you want to put your health first. You should -- that's the only wise approach. Let me join the many others who wish you the best in your recovery.

Paul

brightnorm

Flashaholic

Jim,

If you have exhausted all non-surgical options and thoroughly checked out your neurosurgeon then and only then does surgery make sense (unless you have sudden loss of bladder/bowel function and immediate surgery is mandatory). When I had this condition my right calf atrophied to the point where it almost disappeared and I could barely walk even when the pain was only moderate but I was determined to avoid surgery and after lying in bed for two months and becoming addicted to certain drugs my condition somehow got better.

That was long ago during more primitive times and if it happened today I would probably opt for surgery. I have two friends who went through it and both had significant improvement; one was completely "cured" and the other rated his improvement as "at least a B+ or A-".

I'm certainly no expert but I do know that it is important to have a surgeon who has done many of these procedures, but I'm sure you know that. Please take it easy, get well and have beautiful flashlight dreams and fantasies. Remember, the "R" in "M6-R" stands for Rest and Recovery!

Brightnorm

js

Flashlight Enthusiast

BN,

Thanks for the advice; I hear you.

PaulW,

Thanks for the well-wishing. Thanks very much. As for the M6-R, don't worry, you'll get one (or actually, two, right?). The M6 is a pretty nice light, isn't she?

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast

Jim,

He he. Yeah, the M6 is one heckuva light. But the 123s just don't do the job IMO. They're expensive, and the voltage does sag with the HOLA.

But even with the LOLA it is bright -- brighter and even cheaper to run than the M3 with HOLA. I'm glad that your project inspired me to stop just thinking about an M6 and to finally get one. Even without the M6-R capability, I'm having fun putting this baby to good use!

Paul /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

E D I T . . . Enjoy those DVDs while you have the chance.

naromtap

Enlightened

Jim, I'm sorry to read of your back problem, I wish you better, hopefully soon.
I am now in a position to committ to one of your M6-R kits so I'll keep my eyes peeled for any sign up lists that may appear, thanks, Pat.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast

Pat,

Thanks. I've been more or less out of serious pain for a week or so now, and I've been ramping up my activity level and doing my exercises. The neurosurgeon informed me that I really don't have a ruptured disc and that there is no call for back surgery. Not sure why my primary doctor's office called and told me that I did if I didn't but WHATEVER. I have given up the notion that there is any quick fix for my back problem and have accepted that I will just have to continue to find ways to live with it and gradually improve it. As soon as I'm able I'm going to start doing Yoga again and I'll being seeing a chiropractor and facing North while standing on one leg while juggling three grey squirrels (with one eye closed). That should help.

OK. Enough of that. Since there is no reason for me to think lying around is making my situation any better, I have picked up again on my CPF projects. Specifically, I have started to work on the M6-R kits for the field testers.

So let me make sure I got this right: Prolepsis is the only one who does NOT need a charger. Is that right? pyro and Catdaddy: you both need (or want) a fast charger, right? Let me know.

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast

Jim,

Good news to hear that no surgery is needed and that you are able to slowly gear up again. Yup, yoga can be a great help.

Regarding M6-R need for me, I think I'll want two battery packs and one charger. Although I have a Maha C777 Plus-2 charger, I'll want a dedicated one for the M6. I'm planning to pack everything in a case for transportability.

Paul

js

Flashlight Enthusiast

Paul,

Got it! But just to prevent a bunch of similar posts, I was wondering about the field testers only for the moment, as those are the only three kits I am making up right now. BTW, I love the idea of making an M6-R case. Cool. Will it be filled with foam with indentations formed to match the pieces? And be sure to make a really hip label for it. hehe.

cy

Flashaholic

Js, Get well soon..

forgot to add, I'll be happy to toast one of those packs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif already got a charger

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
js said:
. . . I was wondering about the field testers only for the moment, as those are the only three kits I am making up right now. BTW, I love the idea of making an M6-R case. Cool. Will it be filled with foam with indentations formed to match the pieces? . . .

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay. I thought it was strange that you would be taking a poll of orders so soon. My mistake.

Foam indentations? OMG yes. Definitely. Maybe even a little light in the lid that comes on when I open the case to change power packs in the dark. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I got the idea from Ginseng's L4 EDC Rig.

Paul

Prolepsis

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
js said:
OK. Enough of that. Since there is no reason for me to think lying around is making my situation any better, I have picked up again on my CPF projects. Specifically, I have started to work on the M6-R kits for the field testers.

So let me make sure I got this right: Prolepsis is the only one who does NOT need a charger. Is that right? pyro and Catdaddy: you both need (or want) a fast charger, right? Let me know.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jim:

Glad to hear you are feeling somewhat better. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I have a smart charger, so as long as I have some means to connect the battery to my charger (two holes for two wires to enter, for lack of a better term), I'm good. Otherwise I'll take a charger. Either way is fine, since I plan to order a second battery pack post field testing (so I could make do with a charger).

During the holidays, I managed to acquire a second M6. I'm looking forward to having side-by-side beamshots throughout the runtime for the two. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks,
eric

Tecstar1

Newly Enlightened

Jim,

The review by Brightnorm is very promising. If the reviews from the other beta testers come back as positive as well, and you are going to take it to production, please put me down for one,

Thanks,

Ron

Starlight

Enlightened

Jim,
Okay, we have left you alone for more than a week. We need more news to keep us going.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast

Starlight,

So true . . . Sorry. I was hoping to be able to post a picture of my work in progress tonight, but hey, words will convey the information if not as much excitement.

By this evening I will have completed all of the end-to-end soldering and wrapping in kapton tape, and the packs will be in the first stage of glueing and drying. Plus, one pack is fully glued together, and I will make the electrical connections to it and start it's break-in trickle charge.

I hope to mail out Prolepsis's M6-R pack and connector (to allow connection of the pack to a stand alone fast-charger) by early next week (Monday or Tuesday), with the other kits following soon after.

Unfortunately, I promised to sell complete TigerLights on B/S/T months ago and some of my time has been taken up with getting them ready and listed and shipped and so on. Plus, I have a couple other flashlight related comittments. But don't worry, I'm getting pretty impatient to get the M6-R field testing started. It's going to be soon.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hello everyone,

I'm sorry but I've been unable to meet the schedule I set for myself. My wife has been sick and I've been swamped with other projects. That's the bad news.

BUT, the good news is that I'm done with the other commitments I had and I'm cruising along now and am making excellent progress. All of the packs are put together and I will be completing them this weekend, as well as at least one of the charging systems. This means that I will be starting to mail out the field test kits soon. Very soon. Within a week or two all of them should be on their way into the "FIELD".

Thanks for being patient everyone and I apologize for the delay.

brightnorm

Flashaholic

Jim,

I'm glad you're better and sorry your wife is sick. You're like me and my GF, we take turns being out of commission.

Brightnorm

Topper

Flashaholic*

Take good care of your Wife I for one can wait for the M6-R
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.