The SureFire 6PX/G2X Tactical and 6PX/G2X Pro Thread

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire made in China? very doubtful. They have a company legacy of "made in USA". I think SF is trying to reach more of the masses now because of rising competition from companies like 4Sevens and several others. If the prices on these new lights are for real, and the specs are accurate, they should be very popular. Im interested.

I'm wondering why they are so cheap. A terrible thought has crossed my mind that Surefire may be producing lights in China, etc.... I have no idea if that is the reason mind you, but I certainly hope not.

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
They have mentioned that the new designs are cheaper to make due to the design of the head. To me it looks as if the head and body are one part, and the electronics are installed through the head... I don't know if that is correct, that is just the appearance that the images give me.

That would make them cheaper to produce though. One piece, only one lot of threads etc etc.

Zivman

Newly Enlightened
Don't I feel like a dumb-*** buying the Stratum now. :ohgeez:
I have a stratum and love it.... and have gotten some good use out of it over the past couple months. Look at these like a good compliment to your arsenal, not something that makes you regret a prior purchase. I will likely get a 6PX pro.

I love surefires and have bought quite a few over the last few months. I look forward to these lights and more

socom1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Al, I hate to ask you the question that is in the air, but are these made outside the United States?

As already stated, Surefire has built quite a reputation on their lights being made in the USA.

Are they USA made or not?:thinking:

red02

Enlightened
Although it might be possible that they were outsourcing labour to China, another thought crossed my mind. Some moderator wrote in another post regarding a cheaper light means that they are cutting costs somewhere else. It might be possible that it is through labour, but it might also be in the processing, the quality of materials, build quality, etc...

Or they could be taking a lose while making strategic step into another market. Its difficult to sell a $200 flashlight to someone who is used to a $12 dollar maglite. However if Surefire can compete with Fenix for the more reasonable entry level $80 market, then the amount of units sold can off set initial loses. As well as rope in some unlikely customers. You'll first buy a P3D then a TK45, it generally doesn't go the other way around.

I honestly don't think they will cut down on quality and reverse about 30 years of company philosophy and direction.

Surefire is a defense contractor first, their prices aren't aimed at the general public. They are probably used to selling in massive quantities and giving discounts based on that. Since these lights are aimed at the general public it makes sense for them to lower their price per unit. I doubt that the reduction in price will have a corresponding reduction in quality, its just not Surefire.

Last edited:

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last edited:

trailblazer

Newly Enlightened
I just ordered the 6px pro from lapg and they charged me for shipping even though it's supposed to be free has anyone else had that happen?

Seems like these are going to obsolete most of there product line.

lightplay22

Enlightened
These lights and the price sure have me interested. I just opened a malkoff m61 today and really like it in my 6p so i'll probably have to wait a little while but the standout of the new surefires for me is the nitrolon with 2 levels of output. Something about that seems to be saying "buy me"

jgraham15

Enlightened
I just ordered the 6px pro from lapg and they charged me for shipping even though it's supposed to be free has anyone else had that happen?

I've dealt with LAPG alot over the years and they have top notch customer service! Just shoot them an email and ask them what happened. My guess is it showed up in your order but they will delete the shipping charge before they actually charge your card.

Flashlightboy

Enlightened
The price point seems comfortable but also tends to squeeze out their other products as some have said. On the other hand, why would SF sell a G2 when the this new line is a far superior product for only a few more dollars? It seems fairly obvious that incandescent systems are going away like the dinosaur so this isn't a surprise move but it does make one wonder what will happen to products near it in price and features.

SF could position itself to say that they still are an American company with American designs and build standards but that they find it hard to grow as a company without cutting costs through labor. They'll say something such as their tactical and weapons lights are and will be made here however they can't keep up with demand so these new lights are made to their standards, still have the SF name, overseas.

I'm also wondering if they didn't but back on coating the inside of the 6P or use an integrated head with everything pressed in from the back. I have a brand new 6P that looks like standard untreated aluminum on the inside so who knows.

flashfiend

Enlightened
So with these fixed heads and the KX4 (complete LED module and head), are we beginning to see the demise of the ever popular P60 drop-ins? If so I am super bummed out. Modularity is part of the appeal of buying the Surefire line.

jp2515

Flashlight Enthusiast
Think this light will still fit in the Z70 holster? Also, why do you think it is not on the surefire website yet?

They should be out by October. Whether or not that will happen is anyone's guess

I remember reading somewhere that you can't play lego with them :(.

If you can break the glue that holds the head on. Was told the heads will be glued to the body on these lights.

So with these fixed heads and the KX4 (complete LED module and head), are we beginning to see the demise of the ever popular P60 drop-ins? If so I am super bummed out. Modularity is part of the appeal of buying the Surefire line.

From what I am hearing, I believe that would be a yes on this issue.

flashfiend

Enlightened
Anyone else concerned about this trend? I hate non-modular lights that will prevent the creation of one off customs. I think I have one all-factory light. The rest have been modified in some way. I hope Surefire reconsiders this trend.

jp2515

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone else concerned about this trend? I hate non-modular lights that will prevent the creation of one off customs. I think I have one all-factory light. The rest have been modified in some way. I hope Surefire reconsiders this trend.

There's always the option of using the incan versions of the light. I heard they will be making them for the foreseeable future.

BIGLOU

Enlightened
They should have made these legoable with each other. I maybe will get the 6PX in Tactical and a G2X in Pro, would have loved the option to interchange the heads between them and go Tactical or Pro.

flashfiend

Enlightened
There's always the option of using the incan versions of the light. I heard they will be making them for the foreseeable future.

Not with people who believe the following to be true continuing to grow in number

...It seems fairly obvious that incandescent systems are going away like the dinosaur so this isn't a surprise move but it does make one wonder what will happen to products near it in price and features...

Sorry flashlightboy, not meant to pick on you but I believe those who see incans as fading dinosaurs are what is pushing the loss of modularity.

LED's have a long life and don't need regular replacement like incans so who needs the light emitters to be modular and replaceable? This I believe is the type of thinking that may be entering Surefire design brains.

z17813

Newly Enlightened
I agree that non-modular flashlights are probably a smart move by surefire and a bit of a pain for those of us that like modifying lights. Lets face it most people only remove the head when they have to (changing lamps) and if it can make them more price competitive combined with LEDs not needed to be replaced, then that is important with the likes of fenix making great lights at cheaper prices.
As for the death of the surefire's ability to be modified I think we are probably safe for the foreseeable future, though it's never a bad time to stock up :rolleyes:

jp2515

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not with people who believe the following to be true continuing to grow in number

Sorry flashlightboy, not meant to pick on you but I believe those who see incans as fading dinosaurs are what is pushing the loss of modularity.

LED's have a long life and don't need regular replacement like incans so who needs the light emitters to be modular and replaceable? This I believe is the type of thinking that may be entering Surefire design brains.

The incans are here to stay and people still use them (lower cost), that's per the SF people I talked to.