The SureFire 6PX/G2X Tactical and 6PX/G2X Pro Thread

Kestrel

Flashaholic
The incans are here to stay and people still use them (lower cost), that's per the SF people I talked to.
This is good. I'm crazy about SF (most of my lights are SF's) but these new lights don't do anything for me. I'll be using my L1/L2/C2/C3/D3 for many many years. I also plan to pick up another C3 for reserve.

I guess I'm glad that some folks like the looks of these new lights, but I'm going to be having fun with the modularity of my older 'incan' SF's for as long as I'm a flashaholic. :poof:

Maybe when SF can match the performance of my Moddoo triple XP-G's in my C2 & C3 I'll think about changing my tune. :devil:

Last edited:

jp2515

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is good. I'm crazy about SF (most of my lights are SF's) but these new lights don't do anything for me. I'll be using my L1/L2/C2/C3/D3 for many many years. I also plan to pick up another C3 for reserve.

I guess I'm glad that some folks like the looks of these new lights, but I'm going to be having fun with the modularity of my older 'incan' SF's for as long as I'm a flashaholic. :poof:

Maybe when SF can match the performance of my Moddoo triple XP-G's in my C2 & C3 I'll think about changing my tune. :devil:

It would be a travesty for SF to stop making the incan lights (since many of the Centurions are still incan).

Schuey2002

Enlightened
Now that we have a better look at these lights, I am finding the bezels on them to be rather goofy looking. Too bad they don't have the sleek look of the new KX4's. Those are so much nicer looking. :green:

But really, who am I kidding? I'm sure the looks will grow on me rather quickly. Especially since the 6PX Pro has a retail price of only $79. That means the street price is going to be even less.. :thinking:

I guess I will have to buy one of these after all... :eek:

Meganoggin

Enlightened
I think we are underestimating the ingenuity and talent of the many modders that we have here on CPF. These new models will be a challenge, but I think they will become favourites as a low cost mule or basis for modification. But of course I could be way off, I guess we need to see one in the flesh so to speak :tinfoil:

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you can break the glue that holds the head on. Was told the heads will be glued to the body on these lights.
In the link dano posted it says
In order to lower the price, the new lights have redesigned heads that are fixed in place. They aren't removable, as they are in the G2 and 6P.
To glue head and body together would be an additional step in production. How would that lower the price?

Eric

dougie

Enlightened
As others have said the fact that Surefire have managed to cut the price of these new lights would suggest that they have cut their manufacturing costs or profit margins or both.:eek:oo: However, I would be interested to know if Surefire will change their warranty for these new lights to a limited warranty? Whilst Surefire's more expensive lights have always cost considerably more than their competitors the quality and lifetime warranty almost certainly (IMHO) justified the higher price. It would seem unlikely (but by no means certain) that by reducing their exposure to everlasting warranty claims on these cheaper lights that they could safely reduce costs without sacrificing their reputation. If these lights are no longer as easily disassembled as people suggest then the time taken by Surefire to disassemble them under warranty claims would become uneconomic potentially making it cheaper to simply replace the complete unit. Would it make sense to introduce a new range of cheaper lights simply to have to keep replacing them indefinitely? In any case these new lights are so (relatively) cheap that they are nearly disposable. In that regard I will certainly pull the trigger on buying one or two when they eventually hit the UK.:)

sonrider657

Newly Enlightened
Streamlight used to make all their lights in the USA and now they are making many of them in China or only "assemblying" them in the USA. I wonder if Surefire is heading in the same direction.

outersquare

Enlightened
wow...nice products at great prices, SF might be trying to grab more market

like someone else already said, this is E2DL output at like a third the price

if these are still mostly US made, I'll probably pick up several as gifts and spares

jp2515

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now that we have a better look at these lights, I am finding the bezels on them to be rather goofy looking. Too bad they don't have the sleek look of the new KX4's. Those are so much nicer looking. :green:

But really, who am I kidding? I'm sure the looks will grow on me rather quickly. Especially since the 6PX Pro has a retail price of only $79. That means the street price is going to be even less.. :thinking:

I guess I will have to buy one of these after all... :eek:

The bezels are a host to a deeper reflector, supposedly for more throw. We'll have to wait until they come out. Just too bad the rep I met didn't have one to show!

In the link dano posted it says
To glue head and body together would be an additional step in production. How would that lower the price?

Eric

Just happened to see a Z2-S today, somehow someone had the head loose and I saw what appeared to be red Loctite on the head. That and I heard that the new LED heads (reflector and bezel) are to be 1 assembly instead of the old P60LED module and a Z44 bezel.

Xacto

Enlightened
Anyone else concerned about this trend?[...] I hope Surefire reconsiders this trend.

Count me in! As soon as a Surefire can not be dissasembled completely, I see no reason to pay the relativly high price. Then I can buy a cheaper light e.g. iTP SA-2 and throw it away if it stops working of has a shattered lens. With a Surefire, I just get a replacement part. THAT is the reason why i started buying Surefires a few months ago.

Cheers
Thorsten

rumack

Enlightened
LED's have a long life and don't need regular replacement like incans so who needs the light emitters to be modular and replaceable? This I believe is the type of thinking that may be entering Surefire design brains.

I fear you may be correct. It's funny, but I look at it just the opposite - because LED's have a long life and are much more likely to be still fully functional after they have become technologically obsolete, I like having the option of upgrading the light with a new drop-in. I look at LED's as giving me much higher reliability (lifespan, shock resistance, etc) and efficiency than an incandescent but not as never needing to be replaced.

red02

Enlightened
^^

I think it'll be awhile before a 200 lumen flashlight is completely and utterly obsolete....

The desire for something bigger and better won't become obsolete either, therein lies the problem.

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
The G2X Pro seems like a nice light for the car, boat, or anyplace I might not want my E2DL, A2, LX2 or other pricey SureFire to disappear from.

While we flashaholics might not be thrilled with them, we're enthusiasts, and only a small portion of the potential market. I think SureFire may get a lot more customers with dual output models and tactical models at these price points.

sfca

Enlightened
What LEDs are they using? I hope the runtime of the E2DL is increased to 2.5 hours
icon7.gif

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
The bezels are a host to a deeper reflector, supposedly for more throw. We'll have to wait until they come out. Just too bad the rep I met didn't have one to show!

Just happened to see a Z2-S today, somehow someone had the head loose and I saw what appeared to be red Loctite on the head. That and I heard that the new LED heads (reflector and bezel) are to be 1 assembly instead of the old P60LED module and a Z44 bezel.

I managed to get the lens retaining ring(?) off my KX4...needless to say, it's no longer a "lens retaining ring" but a diffuser retaining ring, as, as stated earlier, the lenses on these newer heads, at least the KX4, are glued to the reflector :sick2:, so all you can do is put a diffuser in there.

Guess if your KX4 breaks, SF will be sending you a new one???

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
The desire for something bigger and better won't become obsolete either, therein lies the problem.

Neither will the desire for a low-low...SF still seems to recognize this, and they will always have lights with a moderate amount of lumens.