The SureFire A2 Thread Index

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dennis,

McGizmo's LunaSol lights fill the same niche as the A2, for me. But I have a white LED A2 (although I do have a spare red LED ring for it. hehe). But the LS lights have the same low level flood with high level throw in a simple and instantaneous 2-level interface. The LunaSol 20 knocked the SF A2 out of the role as my EDC light. The A2 was my EDC for years and I didn't imagine that would change. But it has . . . and I'm rather happy about it! Although, I still occasionally EDC my A2 if I need the incan for certain situations.

Dennis

Newly Enlightened
js,

McGizmos lights look pretty cool, as do a bunch of other more specialized stuff! However, for my use I gotta stick to (hopefully) super engineered and torture tested stuff, hence SF. Of course, my own theories for what I want/need is what's really limiting me here!

I would love a LED only solution, but I don't see one yet... I'll just have to wait and probably buy every light in-between as well!

Dennis.

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
*sigh* all this discussion of A2 made me reminisce the incan days. I traded my SF E1B Backup for an A2 w/ red LED. Silly me.

EV_007

Enlightened
Ahhh yes, the A2. What a classic. Not many lights like it. Even in our day and age of higher lumen LEDs, the A2 still retains its uniqueness.

Nice index.

bansuri

Enlightened
I have an A2 w/red LED ring that I would love to convert to full LED operation. The only info I've seen regarding this is a couple posts above where Dennis states that he'd like a full LED conversion.
I went through SO many threads looking for any hint of an A2 LED conversion and didn't find anything. I kept my search query simple, maybe I didn't get specific enough.

I love the light as-is, but an LED upgrade with multiple modes and improved runtimes would be nice. Any ideas?

dchao

Enlightened
I don't think there is an LED drop-in for the A2. And I don't think it can be made.

LED drop-ins contain current regulation, and A2 already has voltage regulation by way of using Pulse Width Modulation (PWM). I just don't think the two will work together.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I don't think there is an LED drop-in for the A2. And I don't think it can be made.

LED drop-ins contain current regulation, and A2 already has voltage regulation by way of using Pulse Width Modulation (PWM). I just don't think the two will work together.

And why is the world would anyone want to do it. You would have to give up that fantastic voltage regulated with PWM circuit, and using it with an LED would be redundant. What the A2 needs is a one cell body extension for longer runtime at same output. That would be awesome.

Bill

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an A2 w/red LED ring that I would love to convert to full LED operation. The only info I've seen regarding this is a couple posts above where Dennis states that he'd like a full LED conversion.
I went through SO many threads looking for any hint of an A2 LED conversion and didn't find anything. I kept my search query simple, maybe I didn't get specific enough.

I love the light as-is, but an LED upgrade with multiple modes and improved runtimes would be nice. Any ideas?

bansuri,

You could probably trade your current A2 for one of the new LED-A2's, maybe with some cash thrown in on your part. If you have a four-square sides A2, this would be even more likely to happen.

But, as for doing it yerself, don't even think about it. It would be very involved and would cost you more in time and parts money than just out and out buying a new LED A2.

Sorry!

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi David :wave:, I have been reading the forums lately again. Once a flashaholic - always a flashaholic :).
I will try to search for the other A2 threads and keep the A2 index updated.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Buffing off a dusty jewel here.
I clicked on a link in a sig and up pops this diamond.

Back in the summer 017 I bought my first A2 (with white LED). Why? I really don't know.
I played around with it some and still not getting what all the fuss was about, so I set it aside. Then I found a four-flats with a green LED for the collector bug in me. I suppose because it was minty my instincts were to display it. Then I found another one like it in a 'used condition' and used it a bit. But the green beam didn't really seem like a general use so that one sat too.
Then a beater with white LED's showed up in the WTS section for a great price. Nobody bit on it day after day. And boy am I glad they didn't.

The E2 bug had bit me but it was a high only thing so the Aviator became a bedside table number. It takes some getting used to as my brain has gotten used to clickys (even though I prefer twisty's). Yet after handling my beat up A2 for a few weeks I see what all the fuss is about.

Folks these days don't like this or that about the LED but me; man I love it.... blumens and all. I have no qualms with identifying colors and any artifacts go un-noticed.

I suppose the geek in me likes the moving resistor tailcap and the regulation aspect. And then if need be I press the throttle all the way and get that bright-beyond-the-numbers high beam. Wow!!

I found a cache of bulb modules back in the summer, but at $35ea, opted to go easy on the bulb. But then some bi-pins from Tad's Customs were acquired with an adapter. At $2ea if one blows, no biggy. I find myself using the beater A2 very often.

So yeah here in 2017.... err uh 018 these things are outdated to the masses. That's fine n dandy for the A2 junky...

Thank you Daniel (and others) who've created or added to this absolutely awesome resource.
Happy New Year.

Last edited:

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
... blumens ...
Happy New Year.

Count me in for the blumen group! I still love the incans. There old and dependable like me! I used a red A2 to hike down from the ridge line in Pinnacles National Park at night. It was awesome!

Happy New Year!

scout24

Flashaholic
Hopefully, in 15 years or so, there will be thread compendiums like this (And one of my other favorites, the SF M6) on some of the currently produced lights. Soo much thought and time have been spent discussing their virtues and faults, and stories shared... :welcome:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Agreed!!

Trouble is, in this day and age a legacy light is like a Facebook post... relevant for a day, and replaced tomorrow by the latest gadget.

Last edited: