The SureFire P2X-B "Fury" 500lu flashlight thread

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Food for thought..... I run mine on two AWRCR 123's all the time with no issues. I accept the risk of a damaged light and a voided warranty. Voltage wise, It's no different than putting on a A19 extender and running on 2 x 17500's. I also tried mine for a short run with 3 x 123 primaries and it seemed to run fine. The Fury driver does have more head room than 6V. It should be a buck driver, and these are good typically to atleast 9V. I will not be trying 3 x RCR123's as 12+ volts is pushing it too far.

*I would like that Fury could be made in a 3CR123 model, or that the present model could be runned at 9V, with an extension tube. That would provide better runtime, a better hold and the light would still be pretty compact sized.

davyro

Enlightened
All you need is two o-rings! ...

CIMG2343.jpg

CIMG2353.jpg

Easy-Peasy-Lemon-Squeazie! ... :thumbsup:

Calvin certainly looks like he agrees, I must admit I didn't find holding it any problem at all in fact i really like the feel of the Fury & it's your fault AZPops:naughty:

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Calvin certainly looks like he agrees, I must admit I didn't find holding it any problem at all in fact i really like the feel of the Fury & it's your fault AZPops :naughty:

That's what are friend's are for right? ....
muttly.gif

Btw davyro, I decided to cancel the single mode XM-L U2. So in a few days (however long USPS takes), I just may have the only XP-G2 Fury on the Planet! .... Well,for a short whiles anyways! ...
Smokinsmiley.gif

Last edited:

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well folks, our man live'in in the Pacific Northwest, Wayne aka Vinh "Does Not", I repeat, "Does Not Disappoint"! I received the Fury that Wayne installed a XP-G2 which utilizes the OEM low/high driver, and an AW17670. This Fury throws with a nice bright hot spot which transitions nicely into the spill. The hot spot is bright, with the spill leaning toward the upper (cooler) end (or side) of neutral.

Comparing it to the driver change which Wayne did to my Eb1 which also now utilizes a secondary (?) RCR. The hot spot size is very close to being the same, however the spill is much brighter (or more usable imo). However that's were the similarities end, cause the Fury just fly's past E1b in brightness and of course throw.

Wayne, another Thumbs Up my friend!

Last edited:

dennisw1mac

Newly Enlightened
Is SureFire Fury already losing?

Since I'm a relative noob at this, some things may strike me funny, but I'm not afraid to ask a stupid question. SureFire seems to be the top shelf choice in flashlights, however I'm perplexed by how their features seem to pale in comparison to the popular Chinese made lights. For example…

1. They can't take 18650 batteries.
2. The UI seems overly simplified. Not even a strobe option on the Fury.
3. Small optional features like the bezel and tailcap create a whole new complete light purchase, instead of being included or offered as an accessory kit.

I don't know; maybe these "short-comings" are the price to pay for a dramatically better built and more dependable light. It's hard for me to assess with my limited experience. What say you?

Last edited by a moderator:

Flashlight Enthusiast
whatever is most profitable, safe, reliable, and batteries which are commonly obtainable by end users, is what surefire sticks with

Last edited by a moderator:

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast

Since I'm a relative noob at this, some things may strike me funny, but I'm not afraid to ask a stupid question. SureFire seems to be the top shelf choice in flashlights, however I'm perplexed by how their features seem to pale in comparison to the popular Chinese made lights. For example…

3. Small optional features like the bezel and tailcap create a whole new complete light purchase, instead of being included or offered as an accessory kit.

I don't know; maybe these "short-comings" are the price to pay for a dramatically better built and more dependable light. It's hard for me to assess with my limited experience. What say you?

1. SF isnt going to design a light that caters to a small minority of users who use a cell that has a questionable safety history, and simply isnt popular beyond CPF.

2. Keep it simple, i dont want to click a light ten times, then stand on my head for some fancy mode that is rarely used.

3. ?

FPSRelic

Enlightened

The Fury is designed to specifically take CR123A batteries. As such, the battery tube is sized to accomodate the batteries snugly to reduce battery rattle. In the past Surefire has indicated that they do not support rechargables like the 18650 as there are too many variances in battery size and quality.

Additionally, these types of batteries require more care in their use - more than the regular user of a light is prepared to give. As such, when Surefire offers a light that accepts 18650's, they offer it in a light that has all of the protection circuitry and charge control built in, along with a safety that only allows the use of Surefire's proprietary batteries. The Surefire Lawman is an example of this.

Surefire offers the safer chemistry of the LifeP04 CR123A battery as a rechargable option for the Fury.

This was probably done to reduce complexity and cost. Beleive it or not, there is no such thing as being overly simple. The simpler something is to use, the more usable it becomes. In the land of computers, a good user interface is said to be one where a user can get to wherever they want in no more than 3 clicks of a mouse, and less is best. The Fury is designed to be a general purpose light.

Believe me, for the unflashaholics out there, 2 modes is enough. I have co-workers who can't even get their head around clicking my e1b twice to get to a mode that doesn't blind them when they use it for close up work. There are Surefire's that have the extra modes like Strobe, but they're usually designed in a way that makes modes easy to get to - nothing more than 3 clicks I would expect. This obviously requires more complex switches, which in turn increases cost. Again, the Lawman is a good example this.

The older Surefire's used to offer extra features like bezels and tailcaps. The newer X series Surefire's (the LX2 possiblty being an exception) were developed in response to criticism that Surefire's were too expensive. To reduce cost, while still making their lights in America, and offering the lifetime warrantly, Surefire had to find ways of cutting corners in the design of their lights that didn't sacrifice reliability. One of these was to reduce the amount of screw threads used in the light, and loc-tite down these areas to negate any waterproofing/structural issues this would have caused.

In short, the Fury is one of Surefire's budget lights. If you want more features, the ability to use rechargables like the 18650, and extra accessory lits, you would need to look at something like the Lawman.

dennisw1mac

Newly Enlightened
In short, the Fury is one of Surefire's budget lights. If you want more features, the ability to use rechargables like the 18650, and extra accessory lits, you would need to look at something like the Lawman.

I see what you mean. That Lawman is quite a light and does compare very favorably. Thanks to all who replied.

fresh eddie fresh

Enlightened
I don't think I would have bought a Fury if it had a strobe feature. I have an AZ2 that has a strobe and I have never used it. I picked that model simply because it was on sale for less money than the version without the strobe and it is pretty easy to avoid activating accidentally.

I like Surefire's simplicity. If I want more modes, I have an excuse to buy more lights. :)

dennisw1mac

Newly Enlightened
I have an AZ2 that has a strobe and I have never used it.

I don't think that most people have "used" it per se. It's a self defense mode that is meant to disorient an attacker. I think we would all like to never have to use it. But, I suspect it would have come in handy in a dark movie theater with a mad gunman on the loose or when confronting an intruder in your home.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
But, I suspect it would have come in handy in a dark movie theater with a mad gunman on the loose or when confronting an intruder in your home.

I think a lot of people would disagree with that. Opinion on strobes is pretty mixed as far as their effectiveness. Considering I don't buy flashlights to face down mad gunmen I prefer they not have strobe or other gimmick features.

huntz362

Newly Enlightened
I want the dual output version of the fury, however, I also want to have the defender strike bezel. Would it be possible to do this?

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
Up until this year all my flashlights have been Surefire including their new 6PX PRO, but I have since bought Eagletac's C25C2, G25C, and NiteCore's TM11 'Tiny Monster'. I have also been trying out the 18650 3100mAh batteries and charging them with the Nitecore i4 charger.

Time will tell if I will be pleased with my new choices.

I still keep at least 36 Surefire 123 Lithium batteries in reserve for all my lights.

In the past I have always tried to buy Union Made products from the USA, but Union Labor has fallen to single digit of the American work force. I myself am retired from the Machinists Union and I am also paying member of the IWW (Industrial Workers of the World).

We are living in a new world now and for the skilled worker the value by measure of GNP has dropped; according to some estimates over 90% of the U.S. GNP since 2008 has gone to the upper 1%.

Robert_M

Newly Enlightened
Thats what I figured:( any idea when/if they plan on coming out with such a model?

I think they will since the original Fury has two output levels and a forward clicky so it would take little effort on their part. But just the same I don't recommend that you hold your breath. Ultimately, they have to decide how much of a market there is for a two output level Fury Defender. I'd like to see them produce a two output level Combat model, but we'll see.

jukeboxx

Newly Enlightened
I think they will since the original Fury has two output levels and a forward clicky so it would take little effort on their part. But just the same I don't recommend that you hold your breath. Ultimately, they have to decide how much of a market there is for a two output level Fury Defender. I'd like to see them produce a two output level Combat model, but we'll see.

I dont think they will since the (eag) fury has been released as a single output WML on sold ony from bravo company usa.