The SureFire P2X-B "Fury" 500lu flashlight thread

Robert_M

Newly Enlightened
I got my P2X-B yesterday! Here's a comparison of the total light output of the Fury to the EagleTac P20C2 Mark II XM-L:
SurefireP2X-BFuryhighandlow.png

EagleTacP20C2MarkIIXMLT6Highsettingonly.png

The larger size of the Fury keeps it cooler. As a result it maintains its total light output better. And there's no step down in light output! The "step" on the Fury's graph is when I switched it to its low setting; the EagleTac was kept on High until I turned it off.

Last edited:

scot

Newly Enlightened
That's interesting. Any chance you could check the output with a 17670?

Glock 22

Enlightened
I will be buying a AW 17670 for my fury. Thanks for the info Vox Clamatis in Deserto. :thumbsup:

jh333233

Flashlight Enthusiast
Omg, from the graph, surefire has underrated their lumen again!
IMO 17670 will not work at full output, i believe the driver is a buck one, like E2DL and LX2
And off-topicly, a single cell would having trouble with the boost-buck driver, it would keep switching between them or having some minor flashing

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
And off-topicly, a single cell would having trouble with the boost-buck driver, it would keep switching between them or having some minor flashing

Izzat so?

Don't know if this light has the buckwheat driver or what, but it seems to me to work fine on a 17670. Doesn't seem to flash a bit as the battery runs down. Give it a try.:thumbsup:

jh333233

Flashlight Enthusiast
Izzat so?

Don't know if this light has the buckwheat driver or what, but it seems to me to work fine on a 17670. Doesn't seem to flash a bit as the battery runs down. Give it a try.:thumbsup:
I meant Fury have buck driver, 3.7V should not give full output since it should be below working voltage

jh333233

Flashlight Enthusiast
Izzat so?

OT again, V20C with 18650 @/around max output, sometime it will flash or having capacitor-charging sounds frequently
Lets keep this thread fury-only ;)

Last edited:

OrBy

Newly Enlightened
I got my Fury last night. Wow... I like.

Some quick tests:

Two included Surefire CR123A's pulls 1.5A @ the tail on high - really bight :)

One (older) AW 17670 pulls 1.5A @ the tail on high - still really bright but if you look at the numbers there is no way it can be as bright as two CR123A's. Running it like this for a few min does not seem to get the head as hot as running my L4 on this cell did. No flashing observed so far with my limited testing. Also it looks brighter then my 6P/M60 on two AW RCR123A's. I think this combo is my new reach out and blind some one/thing combo.

Two Tenergy LiFePo4 RCR123A's pulls 1.3A @ the tail on high - really bright but 1.3A is way over the spec'ed 500ma max of these cells and the 6.6v is over the 6.4v this light is expecting so I think it's a bad idea for long term use.

A few shirt buffs of the window shows no scratches so far and it feels/sounds like glass to me.

The low seems to take 25-35ma (unless I read my meter wrong) and is very eye friendly to already dark adapted eyes.

I think Surefire choose the right UI for this light at least for my uses.

My one complaint so far: I do think Surefire should have put just a little bit of scalloping on the bezel (like the L4).

jh333233

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the test Orby
1.3A to 16340 LiFePO4 isnt any problem as they can handle a larger current than LiCoO2
500ma-rated 16340 LiFePO4 doesnt seem usual because they should be rated at 1000mah

OrBy

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the test Orby
1.3A to 16340 LiFePO4 isnt any problem as they can handle a larger current than LiCoO2
500ma-rated 16340 LiFePO4 doesnt seem usual because they should be rated at 1000mah

Np!

I thought the same thing as well but if you check the specs (http://www.batteryjunction.com/2rc375reliba.html) they are only 750mah and "Maximum discharging rate: < 550 mA" is listed. I normally trust LiFePO4 with fairly high currents (this just being a bit over 2C discharge rate) but since they are such small cells I think I will test them a bit more before going all out on em. I do have to wonder about the spec's because they say they are 3v but they top off at 3.3v like normal LiFePO4's and there is no protection or anything else on em... Perhaps a copy/paste error?

Last edited:

jh333233

Flashlight Enthusiast
"This stabilization of the redox energies also helps fast ion migration"
superior thermal and chemical stability (LiFePO4 to LiCoO2)
This is the comparison between LiCoO2 and LiFePO4
So IMO...... 550ma is just BS
Even LiCoO2 can go 2C
Btw, LiFePO4 is unlikely to explode due to its chemistry

Last edited:

OrBy

Newly Enlightened
Oh I am not worried about the cells venting or it going boom. I just don't want the cells to loose capacity if it is overtaxing them as they are already fairly low mah. Also since they go to 6.6v witch is higher then the 6.4v Fury is expecting I don't want to risk smoking the driver in it. I already know that it's ramp'ing down the current due to the higher voltages with the short test I did with my meter. I just don't know if it's designed to do that for long runs.

sindekhan

Newly Enlightened
Best Deal for a Surefire Tac Light I've ever seen money wise. If it had a strobe mode I'd be interested but only High and Low? I can find only 1 light that even has a strobe mode on Surefire's website. I don't understand that? They dominate the contracts for U.S. Government Agencies/Military/LE but no strobe modes? For many Tactical L/E applications I'd prefer a high output strobe mode, very useful IMO.

Viper715

Enlightened
I believe that the idea that strobe for tactical military and Leo applications has went the way of the dodo. Some may still like it and that's fine and there are plenty of lights out there that do it. But my opinion and more and
More that of the tactical community has went away from strobe use and to intermittent light use and move. The strobe can disorientated a user as well as the target also the target can become adapt or it effect them. Limited use of lighting and moving is more effective.

That being said I don't like that it has two levels for tactical applications you can't really use a momentary technique it's either gonna be on or not. Still a good light at a good price and I may be picking one up at the current sale price.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Best Deal for a Surefire Tac Light I've ever seen money wise. If it had a strobe mode I'd be interested but only High and Low? I can find only 1 light that even has a strobe mode on Surefire's website. I don't understand that? They dominate the contracts for U.S. Government Agencies/Military/LE but no strobe modes? For many Tactical L/E applications I'd prefer a high output strobe mode, very useful IMO.
The Fury was never built to be a tactical light. If it is it wouldn't come on in low output first. It was meant for general usage like trekking, camping, and day to day use.

EDIT: Oh and by the way, Z2-S Combatlight, M3LT-S Combatlight, and UB3T Invictus does have strobe.

Last edited:

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it had a strobe mode I'd be interested but only High and Low? I can find only 1 light that even has a strobe mode on Surefire's website. I don't understand that?

Looking at the 2012 SF catalog, some of the models with with strobe mode are: UDR, UBR, UNR, UN3, R1, R2, UB3T, M3LT-S and Z2-S. I believe the last three are already widely available, the others may be released in the months to come.

sindekhan

Newly Enlightened
OK I guess I should've said for *specific* L/E applications. I wouldn't imply or advise using a strobe for general, basic tactical use, however there's a place in certain L/E situations where it's very useful to have and I'm not referring to anything where intermittent light use and moving applies. As far as Military applications on missions I don't really see much use for a strobe on a Tac Light at all, you could never use it clearing buildings and the only other time a strobe would be used that I can think of off hand is I.R. to signal your own air support usually as to NOT vaporize you.

-Also, didn't realize all those 2012 models had strobes, just by checking the strobe box on the options part of Surefire website, 1 result comes up. Anyhow, the size + high output of the PX2 but designed for Tactical and with a strobe mode would be ideal for me, if they ever make anything like that, then I'll be interested... unless I'm totally missing something that they do currently make...? I thought I've looked over all their models at this point..

Last edited: