• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

The Titanium Sapphire AAA Light

luke_28

Newly Enlightened
I have to ask the inevitable tint question. Is it the same binned led in the LS20 or the LS27 ?

olrac

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like the tail end design from both the aesthetic and practicality aspects. :thumbsup:

Any chance of a beam shot with another light for a frame of reference?

maxspeeds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another beauty, Don! :twothumbs But, is this the name that you have bestowed upon it? Or, is this just the preproduction moniker? I was looking foward to another creative name.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll post some information about the Arc variations soon. I plan on 3 variations, the Ti-DS, Ti-GS and the Ti-kit. All of them have the same 6al-4v housing and 1mm sapphire, the difference is in the LED.

You guys have been asking for a AAA titanium flashlight for a good number of years. In fact, a thread gets started in the Arc forum from time to time (there's one there now in fact). I have wanted a Titanium AAA, but with the high cost, I didn't think they would sell very well.

The amount of times I have said "no" to this request, you would think I didn't like titanium. But I designed my wife and I's rings out of the same bar of 64 and the new Arc6 has a Ti bezel. Awesome material, very expensive to machine.

Don and I have talked about this from time to time. Recently he asked me if I would go in on a production run with him. This time I finally said yes.

This production lot is small (only ~125 units) and it meant to judge the demand for a light like this. Don will be assembling about 75 units with the 3mm DS led and I will be assembling about ~50 units with the DS and GS LED.

In the even that these do sell well, Arc has the option to manufacture the product as a regular production item. We might take the machining in house (we already machine another titanium part on our cnc machines).

peter

Last edited:

iconoclast

Enlightened
cool! I've been hoping for something along these lines since the pics of your prototype awhile back. I'm definitely in for one.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
I have to ask the inevitable tint question. Is it the same binned led in the LS20 or the LS27 ?

These are the cooler tint and higher flux of the LS20. The LS27 has 310CS LED's in it. The 310DS is available with the warmer tint bin but that is not what I have or what I used.

Tink

Newly Enlightened
I'll post some information about the Arc variations soon. I plan on 3 variations, the Ti-DS, Ti-GS and the Ti-kit. All of them have the same 6al-4v housing and 1mm sapphire, the difference is in the LED.

You guys have been asking for a AAA titanium flashlight for a good number of years. In fact, a thread gets started in the Arc forum from time to time (there's one there now in fact). I have wanted a Titanium AAA, but with the high cost, I didn't think they would sell very well.

The amount of times I have said "no" to this request, you would think I didn't like titanium. But I designed my wife and I's rings out of the same bar of 64 and the new Arc6 has a Ti bezel. Awesome material, very expensive to machine.

Don and I have talked about this from time to time. Recently he asked me if I would go in on a production run with him. This time I finally said yes.

This production lot is small (only ~125 units) and it meant to judge the demand for a light like this. Don will be assembling about 75 units with the 3mm DS led and I will be assembling about ~50 units with the DS and GS LED.

In the even that these do sell well, Arc has the option to manufacture the product as a regular production item. We might take the machining in house (we already machine another titanium part on our cnc machines).

peter

I will step way out on this weak and very long limb and ask what the various designations mean ( Ti-DS, Ti-GS and the Ti-kit), in terms of how much light they produce and/or whatever their individual strengths are. Also, approximately how much the light would cost in its various incarnations. One thing I know for sure, and that is that I will be in for at least one, probably two of the three.

I hope some of my lights go out and get a job soon, so that they can support me. It's getting so that the other way 'round isn't working all that well.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very elegant design. I like the rounded back. Glowing orings will be de-rigeur. Will they be easy to replace?

bf1

Enlightened
Obama said that we must stimulate the economy! Could not think of a better way. :thumbsup: