The Wallet Thread!

AlexSchira

Enlightened
Wallet is slowly passing away, looking for a replacement

I've had an old tri-fold leather wallet, no brand name, that I found (empty) on a bench years ago. I've never been much for wasting a free find, so I started using it for myself.
...And it's starting to show. The cloth liner is falling out, every stitch is already loose or gone entirely, everytime I slide a card into it the card comes out somewhere else, and it just seems to have gotten thicker with age.
All I carry in it is paper cash, a few ID cards and a credit card, and a metra pass. Do I even need a full size wallet? I've heard of people just using a business card holder, but will one of those hold a full sized plastic card? just need something that will last a good while, is very small in a pocket, and at the very stretch of imagination, maybe the room for a SD card for my camera. As in a Listerine strip sized little chip in a sleeve.
So, should I go with a card holder or go for something more high-tech? I'm really trying to avoid a regular wallet, because of a job switch I'm going from decade-old jeans and cotton shirts to all out yuppie slacks and jacket. Which is also the reason to look into a wallet younger than Lindsey Lohan.

Last edited:

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Wallet is slowly passing away, looking for a replacement

I've been enjoying a stingray skinned wallet. So far, I've had it 8 years and it has aged maybe 8% of when it was new. Some friends have had theirs in excess of 15 years. Last month, I came across a guy while in the check-out line at a market, he showed me his wallet brought back after Vietnam when he was in Thailand (early 70's I guess) his was a bit worn but still quite useable. The ray skin looked new otherwise.

http://www.stingrayproducts.com/index.cfm?Action=ShowProducts&ProductCategoryID=3

SolarFlare

Enlightened

I'd go for the wallet Jr too they're very well thought out, but far from "very small in the pocket" and a must do is colour in that spec-ops label with a black marker ASAP or better still cut it out :sick2: . To keep things small I'd go for a folding key fob you can keep your keys nice and tidy and there's generally space for a couple of cards and paper money, usually a zippered compartment for coins/flash cards etc. Something like this

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast

I use the Countycomm wallet, it's held up really nicely thus far. Don't carry much cash, but when I do if I double fold it I find that it disappears most completely..

coldsolderjoint

Enlightened
Re: Has anyone tried one of these super thin wallets?

Im still er... *working* on the duct tape wallet.. Maybe at work this weekend.. I am doing a double on saturday...

I ordered a jr wallet and card case, with shipping, it came out to $20 even.. Ill give it a try..

felder

Newly Enlightened

Based on the responses in this thread, I ordered the junior. The wallet is as advertised. It's super thin and it's very easy to access both the top card and the bottom card in each card pocket.

As others have said, it makes a crinkling noise not unlike a plastic bag when opened. It also has a sort of cheap feel to it, but I think that may be due to its very light weight.

The only thing that remains to be seen is if the wallet will survive EDC. If it does, I'd say it's a pretty good buy for those that want the most compact wallet available.

jtice

Flashaholic

Would be very interested to hear back from you later Felder,
after it has seen some use, and see if it holds up.

~John

felder

Newly Enlightened

jtice said:
Would be very interested to hear back from you later Felder,
after it has seen some use, and see if it holds up.

~John

I'll try to remember to report back. So far the wallet is holding up.

mut

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well after seeing this post I went ahead and got one.
It is less than half as thick as my old wallet and far less in cost as my other wallet. Which I hardly ever carried because of the bulk. I have had it about a week now and it seems to be doing rather well. I have carried it more than I have ever carried one before.

Will post back after a couple of more weeks with more if anyone is interested.

mut

felder

Newly Enlightened

It's been a while and the wallet is holding up great, so I'd say it's pretty durable.

rifle59

Newly Enlightened

I like my Deep Pocket wallet from Sharper Image. It is leather and has a nice clip/strap arrangement for the dollar bills.

scott

Enlightened

Kryosphinx said:
The very best and thinnest wallets are made with duct tape.

I carried a duct tape wallet for a while. It worked very well. I now carry a tyvek wallet. I used a tyvek envelope (free) from the Post Office and a little bit a Goop. It's been about eight months now and it's still holding strong. It ain't pretty. It never was, though.

Scott

Last edited:

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast

Probably not Goop, the hand cleaner?? Can you provide some pictures of said wallet??

scott

Enlightened

No, not Goop the hand cleaner. Sportsmans Goop, or Plumbers Goop, or Marine Goop or...

Goop makes lots of specialty goops, but I suspect it's all pretty much the same stuff. You can get it at Lowes, Home Depot or Wamart. I also think that Super Glue will work.

I can't take a pic (no digital camera) unless I do a scan, but a scan wouldn't look like much except a small blue and white rectangle cut from a postal envelope. The wallet was increadibly easy to make. I never carry anything larger than credit cards so I designed the wallet to be just that big.

Scott