Things today's kids missed out on

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Cursive is a vestige left over from when writing with quill pens or fountain pens was the norm. Beyond that, it's no different than printing.

One major difference. Words, and ideas, flow from the mind to the hand in a much smoother manner. Cursive writing was invented to prevent the, for lack of a better term, Stop & Go style of writing that is the nature of printing. With script or cursive writing, the tip of the pen gets lifted off the paper far less. Ideas flow faster from mind to paper. Swap out the fountain pen with a nice rollerball or an exceptional ballpoint, and the difference vs. print is the difference between a drag race involving a Ford Model T and a 2010 Cobra Mustang.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
fun thread!!

Keds
Toughskins
radio shack battery club
Freddy Mercury
Tron
Atari 2600
MTV
"KHAAAAAN!!! KHAAAAAAN!!! KHAAAAAAN!!"
Silver Spoons
Villa Alegre
Flash Gordon
Intellivision
The Electric Company
banana seat
01 General Lee
Twiki
Cylons
Those old reel to reel movie projectors on metal carts

Last edited:

lightcacher

Newly Enlightened
The biggest thing that kids have missed is childhood itself. When I was growing up, if you had a bicycle with two good tires, an old car inner tube for floating down the creek and a sleeping bag for camping out, your kid entertainment requirements were pretty much covered. And man did we have fun just being kids. Life sure was sweet back then.

Fulgeo

Enlightened
One major difference. Words, and ideas, flow from the mind to the hand in a much smoother manner. Cursive writing was invented to prevent the, for lack of a better term, Stop & Go style of writing that is the nature of printing. With script or cursive writing, the tip of the pen gets lifted off the paper far less. Ideas flow faster from mind to paper. Swap out the fountain pen with a nice rollerball or an exceptional ballpoint, and the difference vs. print is the difference between a drag race involving a Ford Model T and a 2010 Cobra Mustang.

Well put. Specifically "Ideas flow faster from mind to paper". Were the kids miss out is that they are not given the chance for its utility. One of the problems with us humans is we tend to have a prejudice towards the things we understand as apposed to the things we do not. I tend to fight this. I occasionally pick up one of those "For Dummies" books to try and learn something new. The last yellow book I picked up was "Latin for Dummies". To finish off the original story, the subject initially came up because my nephews could not decipher hand written letters from their grandparents. They had expressed that they were poorly written instead of reflecting on the fact they could not read cursive. When I decipher the letters in question they discover that they were exceedingly well written. This proceeded the discussion on the utility of cursive.

Fulgeo

Enlightened
I Just had another thought. Kids today miss out on how to write a "snail mail" letter. I know the argument can be made why would they in this world of emails, texting and instant messaging? Well I think of technology as being balanced on the head of a pin. Very fragile. Do not get me wrong I love the stuff and like immersing myself in it. I just like having a plan B. A well written letter can be like poetry. Have you ever been watching the history channel and they read a Civil War letter? Here is this farmer's son using a goose or turkey feather quill pushing around soot ink and writing a heart felt letter. Is it just me or do you get the impression that these guys were extremely intelligent? At the very least they really could express themselves with a poetic flair. I think something is being lost to mankind when I get a text usually of the form "whatz up noob" oh and my favorite "i own you dudez".

Last edited:

Arcus Diabolus

Newly Enlightened
Not all of those things are true though. I'm just 17 and I am somewhat the weirdest in my class because I'm kind of old fashioned. I like the class the old times used to bring. I like to make reports in my own handwriting and not by encoding, I'm the only one who would buy a fountain pen and I am still looking for a quill. True, many of those things you mentioned the youth today never got to experience. But I'm glad I experienced some of those like playing tag and such and actually doing stuff without all these computers.
Another thing youth today are missing is real music.

Incan

Newly Enlightened
drawing well water for the bath on saturday nights.
splitting fence rails with a single-bit axe
slaughtering a hog and salting the pork
corn shuck beds
whale oil lanterns. our first flashlight!
midnight trips to the outhouse
western union. for messages, not for sendin your folding money

Burgess

Flashaholic
Hey, that's a good one !

I actually Sent a Telegram, back in March of 1972.

Friends of mine didn't have a telephone in their apartment. :(

Had to get an urgent message to 'em.

Today's Kids are NEVER gonna' do THAT !

:candle:
_

kramer5150

Flashaholic

Fulgeo

Enlightened
Times are a changing. One thing about todays kids is they are experiencing a sort of revolution in clothing style. I mean anything goes. You can show your under wear. I saw kids wearing pajamas to school and I thought to myself that I remember having nightmares as a kid about forgetting to change out of my PJ and being in class be riddled by my class mates. You used to even get teased for having a new hair cut or wearing new shoes. I know as an adult I could care less but back then it was an issue. So perhaps todays kids are not missing some of the conformance issues of yester year.

brighterisbetter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Beloit College Mindset List - c/o 2014 - makes me feel old :(

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100817/ap_on_re_us/us_mindset_list

An excerpt taken from that article:
The Class of 2014 thinks of Clint Eastwood more as a sensitive director than as Dirty Harry urging punks to "go ahead, make my day." Few incoming freshmen know how to write in cursive or have ever worn a wristwatch.

What are your thoughts?

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Beloit College Mindset List - c/o 2014 - makes me feel old :(

New bad, old good! The way things used to be is the way they ought to be!

woodlandmand105

Newly Enlightened
a lot of kids don't go outside and play baseball or hike. they sit at there computers all day. i'm only on it for 2 hr. at the MOST.

Monocrom

Flashaholic

New bad, old good! The way things used to be is the way they ought to be!

It's not nearly big enough to express how I feel. But it'll have to do!

+1

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

The simple pleasure of being unreachable when you need a quiet moment alone. No cellphones, IMs, texting or email.

Pop made with real sugar instead of high fructose corn syrup (although they occasionally bring back the original formulas once in awhile for novelty's sake).

Fulgeo

Enlightened

The simple pleasure of being unreachable when you need a quiet moment alone. No cellphones, IMs, texting or email.

I would like to +1 this one. I think this is overlooked completely. I also find it a bit distressing when you do miss a call on your cell phone if you do not return the call promptly you have to answer in detail how did you miss it. When everyone had land lines it was assumed you would follow up but it might take a day.

daimleramg

Banned
I don't think todays kids are missing out on the things we had when we were kids. I rather be a kid today with current technology then a kid 20 years ago with nintendo or commodore 64. Todays kids are going to school with high power laptops and do not need paper and pens to write their homework. And instead of schools buying bulky text books they could order them on cd's or dvd's so kids would just have to download it into their hard drive. We are the one's that are missing out, not todays kids.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I don't think todays kids are missing out on the things we had when we were kids. I rather be a kid today with current technology then a kid 20 years ago with nintendo or commodore 64. Todays kids are going to school with high power laptops and do not need paper and pens to write their homework. And instead of schools buying bulky text books they could order them on cd's or dvd's so kids would just have to download it into their hard drive. We are the one's that are missing out, not todays kids.

Due to tight budgets, many schools are still relying on paper textbooks. It's just going to be plain wasteful to toss out those books, and then replace them with laptops. Books also last longer. Imagine having to repair or replace laptops on a city-wide basis every handful of years? Ouch!

Also, every single electronic item I've ever owned has broken down at least once. Pens and paper don't act up whenever they feel like it. A nationwide Blackout 150 years ago wouldn't have meant a darn thing. Nowadays, some folks feel horribly inconvenienced or worse. Imagine life a few generations from now? Needing to communicate in written print, having to look for that one really old man in the neighborhood who actually learned to write back when he was a kid . . .

Technology doesn't translate into a better way of life. It makes life easier. But not necessarily better.