Things you really want that you will probably never have...

nbp

Flashaholic
[h=2]Things you really want that you will probably never have...[/h]

Interesting. Everyone has mentioned material things.

No has said things like good health, a happy family, long life, loyal friends.

What good is any of that other stuff without the above?

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have all of those things, obviously the long life bit remains to be seen.

So Bugatti Veyron it is :)

Burgess

Flashaholic
More good news ! . . . .

After wearing Eyeglasses for 50 years ( ! ),

i have always wanted 20-20 vision.

Well, in 2010, i had to get Cataract Surgery, in both eyes. :(

But, here's the Good News:

I now have better than 20-20 vision, in each eye ! ! ! :party:

Even passed my Drivers License eye exam !

Hurray ! ! !

Only one slight drawback --

I can't focus closer than about 40 centimeters (about 16 inches),
so i still need Reading Glasses for anything close.

But hey, i can buy those right off the rack, at the Drug Store !

No more $500, "Coke-Bottle" bifocals for ME ! ! !

:)

Guess this falls into the category of:

Things you thought you'd never have, but finally managed to obtain.

:wave:
_

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
The new, upcoming, not-yet-released Canon L-series zoom lens:

200-400mm f/4, with a built-in 1.4x teleconverter

(sigh)

Actually have considered spending the cash. Probably WON'T, but I've considered it. Depends if my kids keep playing soccer. I've rented the 100-400, and it was OK, just not fast enough. I own the 70-200 F2.8 IS (1st version) and the 24-70

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually have considered spending the cash. Probably WON'T, but I've considered it. Depends if my kids keep playing soccer. I've rented the 100-400, and it was OK, just not fast enough. I own the 70-200 F2.8 IS (1st version) and the 24-70

I have the 100-400 - not a sports lens, but I really like it! Great for outdoors. Sold my Sigma 70-200 2.8 when I was unemployed and my girls were out of sports anyway....

Monocrom

Flashaholic

Those are things which are realistic in one's ability to attain. However, never promised to anyone with any degree of certainty. For example, a Chevy Corvette is unattainable to anyone who doesn't make enough money and has other responsibilities in Life. But if you do have the money, you can walk in to a dealership and definitely drive off in one.

Good health? Do the best you can to eat healthy and take care of itself. Even then, you never know. Might get sick, might catch something that won't go away . . . You never know. Happy family? I'm convinced that certain individuals have no business having children. Ironically, there are some folks out there who know it too; and thus have no desire to make life miserable for themselves or (even worse) bring a new life into this world and make life miserable for their kids. Sometimes a happy family is just you and another adult who is content to be with you.

Long life? Now who was the liar who went ahead and promised you tomorrow? For some, a long life isn't much of a blessing. I know one young woman who refuses to give up smoking because she'd rather die from lung cancer in a few years than live to be old, suffering from arthritis, and always in fear of falling over and dying slowly with a broken hip. In all other respects, she's a perfectly rational human being. Even if you look forward to a long life, you won't know you've had it until much later in life, when you're knocking on Heaven's door.

Loyal friends? Honestly, the old saying is true. You get one, maybe two, truly good friends in Life. The rest are just buddies, acquaintances, and folks who acknowledge the fact that you exist. I've got that one for sure. Best part is, his wife thinks of me as the big brother she never had. So I'm good. I think most folks are in that particular regard.

None of the above requires money, yet none of it is promised to anyone either. Listing material things is far easier because folks know what their spending limits are in acquiring such things.

nbp

Flashaholic
I was merely using them as examples of non-material things that everyone wants, but many people don't have. I'm glad that some of here do, but many people don't have those things, among others. Perhaps they are too personal to be mentioned in a more lighthearted thread like this.

So, I guess in that case: I want a really cool modern warehouse apartment, decked out in all stainless steel and glass, but I want it transported out in the middle of the woods where it's quiet and there are miles between me and my closest neighbors. :eek:oo:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I was merely using them as examples of non-material things that everyone wants, but many people don't have. I'm glad that some of here do, but many people don't have those things, among others. Perhaps they are too personal to be mentioned in a more lighthearted thread like this.

So, I guess in that case: I want a really cool modern warehouse apartment, decked out in all stainless steel and glass, but I want it transported out in the middle of the woods where it's quiet and there are miles between me and my closest neighbors. :eek:oo:

First paragraph would make for an interesting discussion . . . But to keep things lighthearted, a commercial steel building (if it's not too big) is actually do-able. They come pre-formed. Put them together yourself with help from others or even pre-assembled. Buying the out-of-the-way land in which to put it would be the most expensive part. Then again, depending on where the land is located, it realistically might not be.

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have always wanted loyal friends, but seem to have been one more than had one..
Any way, I always wanted a Nagra, $14,000 < or > Irrational, I don't need one..but, you know..
So I just came across this, I am hopeless putty, how can I (a Nak 550 owner and tri-miker of remote sound from back before then..) possibly turn away from this???????

NAGRA SD -- $1000.00 +- (0nly!)
The Nagra SD is the latest generation of hand-held recorders for ultra-portable recording work. Extra rugged and made for field work it offers exceptional quality in the palm of your hand.
Principal applications:
Any ultra-portable recording application
Special Features:
Removable SD media
Built-in loudspeaker
Stereo monitoring on mini Jack
Stereo Line In / Out

Last edited:

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I cannot justify spending $5,500 bucks on it, and that is what it costs.

A pair of Magnepan MMGs and a decent audiophile subwoofer will cost about $1,100 total, and sound about 100000000x better than the Bose system. It's your dream money, but I hate to see you waste it. :)

Looking at all the cars over the years I'd still take a black and pearl mint condition 59' Corvette over about anything on a summer day.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Didn't Nagra team up with Ampex a long time ago? I vaguely remember looking at a picture of one of their recorders and thinking huh, it's a NagPex.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Wow -- i remember Ampex video tape recorders ! ! !

:)

Used to think those were the NEATEST things ! ! !

40 years ago !

Of course, WAY too expensive for us *normal* folks.

(sigh)

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast

Good health ...check. Some loyal friends...check. A meaningful life is more important to me than a long life though. Happy family at this point doesn't make the "Really want" category. Even most of the stuff here that I am not interested in comes out ahead of the idea of having a kid and attending a high school graduation in my mid to late 60s. :p

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
right now, I'm wanting but will probably never attain, an SR71B from ray samuel's audio and and Ultrasone Edition 8, which I guess explains my recent absence from these brightly lit halls....:candle:

Crenshaw

nbp

Flashaholic
Welcome back Crenshaw. I was wondering where you had been for a while. :welcome: