This old tank of a flashlight is working fine again. Thanks Sky Lumen!

mickeyfinn

Newly Enlightened
Re: Oh no! Old Faithful is quitting on me.

Well done! That is an interesting color.

Finally got a pic to post of it with the new clicky.

As you can see, the colors don't match great but the light works fine now; no flickering.

I just had it outside. It's still a great thrower.

20180529_142543_zpsyarfiryl.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast

My fav clicky is that gray Surefire Z48 clicky that is oversized. Z49 is black.

I think it would really good on it. It is a bit expensive however.

10 year old. I am not familiar with that model but you got your miles out of it.

The real answer your seek is twisty Z41 tailcap.

Last edited:

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast

what an unusual original colored light, I could not go with that color mismatch,
especially when I still have the original end cap with only a faulty (or maybe just a loosened) switch

* have You tried if the retaining ring is just loose?
* or to switch the internal parts form the black to the tan tailcap?
that could start Your light modding career
:)

somehow that "solution" is like purchasing a new car, when the old one has defleated tyres
(something like)
;)

StarHalo

Flashaholic

That's a "natural" finish; the good news is of the standard manufacturer's finishes, it's the most coveted, the bad news is the tint rarely matches even on parts on the same light new out of the box. I'd figure out a way to make the bezel black so it looks like you did it on purpose..

mickeyfinn

Newly Enlightened

20180531_001425_zpsnxriob80.jpg
[/IMG]
20180531_001410_zps1pko8efn.jpg
[/IMG]
what an unusual original colored light, I could not go with that color mismatch,
especially when I still have the original end cap with only a faulty (or maybe just a loosened) switch

* have You tried if the retaining ring is just loose?
* or to switch the internal parts form the black to the tan tailcap?
that could start Your light modding career
:)

somehow that "solution" is like purchasing a new car, when the old one has defleated tyres
(something like)
;)

Geez yellow, I wish I had known you were around earlier. I wouldn't know what a "retaining ring" is if I had one through my nose.

Against my better judgement AND all my instincts, I heeded the advice of those who suggested I fix it myself. "It's really very simple," they all said one way or another. Maybe for them it's easy, but not for me.

The main problem for me was some guys gave "how to fix it" solutions in "flashlight speak." It's a foreign language to me.

I had no idea what the parts mentioned even look like, let alone how to remove and replace them.

But, idiot that I am, I gave it a try anyway.

As you can see in the photos, I ended up completely tearing off the black rubber cover that covered the clicky itself.

And as for the white, plastic clicky? Well, it ended up in two pieces and I can now see a square shaped base with half the clicky sticking out of it.

I can tear down and reassemble most firearms with few or no problems. I know how to replace sears, firing pins, extractors and so on. It's often fine, delicate work involving small, flat, odd shaped coilless springs that many folks wouldn't even recognize as springs.

But for some reason, I am no "do-it-yourselfer" when it comes to flashlights.

They intimidate me. They psyche me out for some reason.I KNOW THIS FROM PAST EXPERIENCE! I've screwed up a few lights in my time. Flashlights are mysterious to me. And I shouldn't have effed with this one.

yellow, had you spoken up earlier, I would have asked if I could send the old and new tailcaps to you to switch the clickies. Instead I ended up destroying the old clicky myself. I would have happily paid you to do it.

If any of you guys know how to transplant the new clicky into the old tailcap and feel like helping out, please let me know.

I'll send you the old tailcap and the new tailcap and pay return postage. And I'll gladly pay you for your time too.

I'd love to see the flashlight match from bezel to tailcap again.

Thanks.

Last edited:

mickeyfinn

Newly Enlightened

Hey,

I was hoping to find a fellow member who knows how to do a "clicky transplant," from the new clicky to the old who might help me out with this. If I knew how to do it myself, I would have.

But I gave it a try and failed miserably.

Anybody?

mickeyfinn

Newly Enlightened

Search youtube for "Tail Cap Switch Replacement"

I did the search, watched a few videos and still screwed up.

Did you look at the pictures of the old tail cap after I tried to remove it?

Retainer ring, retainer nut. Same thing? Who knows? I don't.

I tried using needle nose pliers to screw off that tiny, circular gizmo that looks like it holds the clicky in place. The ones I have were too big.

I remembered the little tool that looks like sharp pointed tweezers a guy used in one of the videos used. So I went to Home Depot to buy the little tool.

I hunted all over the store. No luck. I started asking employees what this too might be and where in the store to look. I guess my description sucked.

I was asked, "WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO USE THIS TOOL FOR?"

You can imagine how that went. I'm trying to explain something I don't understand or know the words for.

"Well, see I'm trying to remove a part from a flashlight. I watched a video where the guy used a small, tweezer-like tool, but it had kind of pointed ends on it, to unscrew this ... .?

"OH, SO YOU NEED A SMALL SCREWDRIVER, NOT TWEEZERS."

"No, no, no. It wasn't a screwdriver. See there are real small, I guess they are indentations, directly opposite each other on this metal ring ... ."

"WELL, ARE THEY SMALL INDENTATIONS, ACTUAL HOLES OR TINY SCREWS?"

"I'm not really sure. They're real, real small but ... ."

"WHAT'S REAL SMALL?"

I gave up and drove home pissed off and embarrassed.

Then I had a great idea! Why not take a screen shot of the tool BEING USED ON THE VIDEO, or better than that, play the video for some of the boys in orange.So I did just that.

Two of the Depot floor people watched the video, saw the tweezer-like tool and we ended up in the section where they sell small tools, baby screw drivers, punches, torque drivers et al.

We found nothing that looked like the like the little tool used in the video.

I went back home after one of the Home Depot guys suggested I bring the the light and the old and new tailcaps to a jewelry repair shop and play the video for a jewelry repairman.

I'll effen die before I do that. This shouldn't be this hard, but it is.

I hope you guys who told me how simple and easy this is to do are having a good laugh.

As for me? I ain't laughing. Not at all.

Last edited:

mickeyfinn

Newly Enlightened

glock, I'm in the Tampa Bay area.

My preference is to get this flashlight back in it's original condition with the original, matching tailcap.This is a one mode clicky switch. It turns the light on and off. That's all it does; no different light levels, no strobe, no SOS.

So the next thing I'm going to do is put an ad on craigslist looking for a "flashlight guy" in my area who may know how to do the clicky transplant I need done. I'll let people know I'll pay for their help in the ad.

I've said the same thing in this thread several times but all I get is advice-givers. I can't seem to find a hands-on guy willing to help.

I was sure one of the "flashlight brethren" here would say, "Sure, send the tailcaps to me. I'll do it."

But 24 days and, at the moment, 1,461 reads later, that guy hasn't appeared.

Quite frankly, I'm surprised. I keep thinking there must be a password , or a secret handshake for CandlePower Forum members I'm not privy to..

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic

Well you have to negotiate a retaining ring to even begin the project; maybe somebody here will do a quick vid for you?

mickeyfinn

Newly Enlightened

Well you have to negotiate a retaining ring to even begin the project; maybe somebody here will do a quick vid for you?

Or maybe someone will let me pay them to do it FOR me.

I'd rather pay someone than have to buy a new tool or tools.

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast

glock, I'm in the Tampa Bay area.

My preference is to get this flashlight back in it's original condition with the original, matching tailcap.This is a one mode clicky switch. It turns the light on and off. That's all it does; no different light levels, no strobe, no SOS.
So the next thing I'm going to do is put an ad on craigslist looking for a "flashlight guy" in my area who may know how to do the clicky transplant I need done. I'll let people know I'll pay for their help in the ad.
I've said the same thing in this thread several times but all I get is advice-givers. I can't seem to find a hands-on guy willing to help.
I was sure one of the "flashlight brethren" here would say, "Sure, send the tailcaps to me. I'll do it."
But 24 days and, at the moment, 1,461 reads later, that guy hasn't appeared.
Quite frankly, I'm surprised. I keep thinking there must be a password , or a secret handshake for CandlePower Forum members I'm not privy to..
No offence but I think you were making too many excuses.

Even though you consider yourself a flashlight noob that doesn't mean you should use it as an excuse and let others do the rest. You didn't even try to get a pair of needle nose pliers which should be standard in any beginners repair toolbox. And you didn't even try to investigate if the switch assy can be twisted out for replacement.

Swapping switch internals is something most of us do all the time and it's not that difficult. It's basic flashlight maintenance skill. But here you are not even giving it a try. Should we just label you "lazy" or something?

Anyway can you try to take additional pictures on your defective tailcap assy and show us the top and (more importantly) the bottom sides? If the switch assy is not installed via standard ways (ie. screwed in from the bottom side via needlenose pliers) then your excuse might be forgiven. Otherwise, you'll still have to deal with that yourself.

mickeyfinn

Newly Enlightened

No offence but I think you were making too many excuses.

Even though you consider yourself a flashlight noob that doesn't mean you should use it as an excuse and let others do the rest. You didn't even try to get a pair of needle nose pliers which should be standard in any beginners repair toolbox. And you didn't even try to investigate if the switch assy can be twisted out for replacement....

Swapping switch internals is something most of us do all the time and it's not that difficult. It's basic flashlight maintenance skill. But here you are not even giving it a try. Should we just label you "lazy" or something?

Rather than correct each and every erroneous assumption you made in your post, I'll let them slide. It would be too time consuming.

But I do have a some questions for you.

1. Why do you sound so angry?

2, Where do I find the list for what should be contained in every beginner's repair toolbox? (I added the apostrophe to "beginners" in order to correct your grammar. Some of us know how to fix flashlights. Some of us know how to write and speak properly).

3. Are you the official Candlepower Forums spokesperson? I ask because you wrote this - "Should we just label you "lazy" or something?"

Or perhaps that's the royal "We," like that other Queen, the one in England, uses.

4. Did you miss the post where I gave a brief accounting of trying to do the transplant. I didn't even get to first base. Here is what I said:

"
But, idiot that I am, I gave it a try anyway.

As you can see in the photos, I ended up completely tearing off the black rubber cover that covered the clicky itself.

And as for the white, plastic clicky? Well, it ended up in two pieces and I can now see a square shaped base with half the clicky sticking out of it."

I decided to stop rather than damaging the new clicky as well as the old one.

Last edited:

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast

Rather than correct each and every erroneous assumption you made in your post, I'll let them slide. it would be too time consuming.

But I do have a some questions for you.

1. Why do you sound so angry?
2, Where do I find the list for what should be contained in every beginner's repair toolbox?

I'm not angry -- nor did I mean to be. I do however feel pity that you didn't even try to undertake some basic self-service, which could possibly save time and hassle.
Note that you're not being asked to deal with other complicated failures eg. electronics failure (inside light module). Even those problems cannot be taken care of by the intermediate flashaholic (esp. one with little skills with electronics, or resources) and external (pro) advice and help would be desired.

Beginner's repair toolbox... what I mean in this context is that, for basic user serviceability of flashlight-related matters, tools like needlenose pliers are no escape. And these are not for just the purpose of maintaining flashlights. I mean, if you deal with other stuff at home they may come in handy as well. And they're not expensive either.

Like some other members have mentioned, swapping the switch internals could be as easy as 1-2-3. That is, provided that such internals could be twisted out (via the pliers) from the bottom side with minimal effort. If however the switch mecha is installed in a way other than that then I agree, consult with another pro for help.

One more tip here. Sometimes switch flickering could be due to bad/dirty contacts on the switch mecha (esp. contact spring) or the tail-side body contacts (where you see bare metal). It's advised to clean those contacts whenever possible.

mickeyfinn

Newly Enlightened

I'm not angry -- nor did I mean to be. I do however feel pity that you didn't even try to undertake some basic self-service, which could possibly save time and hassle.

Yes, I'm a pitiable fool. (sob)

Note that you're not being asked to deal with other complicated failures eg. electronics failure (inside light module). Even those problems cannot be taken care of by the intermediate flashaholic (esp. one with little skills with electronics, or resources) and external (pro) advice and help would be desired.

If anyone asked me to deal with complicated electronics failures, they'd need their head examined.

Beginner's repair toolbox... what I mean in this context is that, for basic user serviceability of flashlight-related matters, tools like needlenose pliers are no escape. And these are not for just the purpose of maintaining flashlights. I mean, if you deal with other stuff at home they may come in handy as well. And they're not expensive either.

Unlike those pliers you mentioned, your meaning escapes. Me.

Like some other members have mentioned, swapping the switch internals could be as easy as 1-2-3. That is, provided that such internals could be twisted out (via the pliers) from the bottom side with minimal effort. If however the switch mecha is installed in a way other than that then I agree, consult with another pro for help.

Am I to assume from this that you're a "pro?"

One more tip here. Sometimes switch flickering could be due to bad/dirty contacts on the switch mecha (esp. contact spring) or the tail-side body contacts (where you see bare metal). It's advised to clean those contacts whenever possible.

I'm confused. Does this mean there are times when cleaning the contacts is NOT POSSIBLE? When and why would that be?

yazkaz, thanks for the words of wisdom. I have learned a lot.

Last edited:

mickeyfinn

Newly Enlightened

Someone was kind enough to volunteer to help me gratis.

I'm sending the clickies off to him today.

StarHalo

Flashaholic

Good news, do update. Even better that you're not being charged, because once you see what Fivemega has laying around, you'll want to put the money elsewhere..

Latest posts