This old tank of a flashlight is working fine again. Thanks Sky Lumen!

mickeyfinn

Newly Enlightened
Re: Oh no! Old Faithful is quitting on me.

Good news, do update. Even better that you're not being charged, because once you see what Fivemega has laying around, you'll want to put the money elsewhere..

StarHalo,

It's Vinh Nguyen (AKA Sky Lumen) who said he will help me.

I think his kindness and generousity are examples we all should follow.

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast

It's Vinh Nguyen (AKA Sky Lumen) who said he will help me.

I think his kindness and generousity are examples we all should follow.

Vinh is a good person. If you ever think about getting an upgrade with this old light or getting a new powerful one; he's the one to contact.

mickeyfinn

Newly Enlightened

Vinh is a good person. If you ever think about getting an upgrade with this old light or getting a new powerful one; he's the one to contact.

Yep, he's the man as far as I'm concerned.

The next light I have coming my way will be from Mr. Nguyen.

mickeyfinn

Newly Enlightened

If the light he fix for you last another 10+ yrs. He might retired before you can buy one from him. LOL

Within 10 years I may very well be down for that unending nap. I'm already an old man.

But I'll make sure there's a good, well-wrapped light left near where my ashes are scattered just in case there's something after this trip. :)

Last edited:

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast

If Vihn can't "fix it".... he can certainly "upgrade it".
I don't think Vinh is undertaking the repair job for no particular reason. Aside from the tailcap fix he might also be looking into opportunities to do the actual LE upgrade, or at least an emitter swap (XPL/2 would be great IMO, if it can be focused properly).

Anyway just my 0.02......

mickeyfinn

Newly Enlightened

I don't think Vinh is undertaking the repair job for no particular reason. Aside from the tailcap fix he might also be looking into opportunities to do the actual LE upgrade, or at least an emitter swap (XPL/2 would be great IMO, if it can be focused properly).

Anyway just my 0.02......

Vinh and I exchanged emails.

He said he would gladly do the clicky transplant.

I didn't inquire about any upgrades. He didn't suggest any upgrades; nor do I want any.

The light's performance is fine with me. I was satisfied with it when I got it more than 10 years ago. And I know I'll be satified with it upon its return.

I drive a four cylinder car. I'm very satified with it. It does everything I need it to do. I have no desire, or need, for a six or eight cylinder car.

See the parallel?

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast

Vinh and I exchanged emails.
He said he would gladly do the clicky transplant.
I didn't inquire about any upgrades. He didn't suggest any upgrades; nor do I want any.
The light's performance is fine with me. I was satisfied with it when I got it more than 10 years ago. And I know I'll be satified with it upon its return.
I had similar thoughts back then but apparently that's not so true.
If your eyes are used to the stock LED's tint and wouldn't want something with another white tint, that's understandable.
But LEDs run more and more efficiently when the technology improves in time. In other words, the old LED may still work but runs less efficient and less cool, thus yielding less runtime.

I suggest you ask Vinh for suggestions on emitter upgrade as well. I'm sure he'll be able to give you sound advice.

Four cylinder car -- sure you may be satisfied with it, but in time you'll still need regular maintenance and tuning just to keep it in good shape. (There's nothing to do with six- or eight-bangers.)

Nichia!

Banned

Within 10 years I may very well be down for that unending nap. I'm already an old man.

But I'll make sure there's a good, well-wrapped light left near where my ashes are scattered just in case there's something after this trip. :)

I wish you long life sir you and your precious light:)

mickeyfinn

Newly Enlightened

I had similar thoughts back then but apparently that's not so true.
If your eyes are used to the stock LED's tint and wouldn't want something with another white tint, that's understandable.
But LEDs run more and more efficiently when the technology improves in time. In other words, the old LED may still work but runs less efficient and less cool, thus yielding less runtime.

I suggest you ask Vinh for suggestions on emitter upgrade as well. I'm sure he'll be able to give you sound advice.

Four cylinder car -- sure you may be satisfied with it, but in time you'll still need regular maintenance and tuning just to keep it in good shape. (There's nothing to do with six- or eight-bangers.)

As far as I'm concerned, and as I said mere moments ago, I'm perfectly happy with the light's performane as it's configured right now.

The light works JUST FINE with the new tailcap.

The ONLY thing I don't like about it is the new tailcap doesn't match the finish of the body or the bezel of the old C2.

But Vinh is taking care of that for me by transplanting the new clicky into the old tailcap.

And thats all I want or need done.

If there's a better way to express this, it escapes me.

*****IGYJHTHTLW*****

Last edited:

I drive a four cylinder car. I'm very satified with it. It does everything I need it to do. I have no desire, or need, for a six or eight cylinder car.

ce3KcYr.jpg

~ Chance

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Never mind. I found someone willing to help.

I wish I'd seen your thread earlier. I would have gladly switched the clicky out for you without any hesitation. I'm glad Vinh is getting sorted. He's one of the best people I've ever dealt with in my life. Take care and I'm glad you are getting this sorted!

mickeyfinn

Newly Enlightened

I wish I'd seen your thread earlier. I would have gladly switched the clicky out for you without any hesitation. I'm glad Vinh is getting sorted. He's one of the best people I've ever dealt with in my life. Take care and I'm glad you are getting this sorted!

Bigburly,

Thank you for the kind offer.
X
Mr. Nguyen (Sky Lumen) fixed it and it's on the way back home now.

Mr. Nguyen says it was a bad switch.

Gee, it only lasted more than 10 years. :)

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast

Vinh is good people. I've purchased 15+ of his lights and gotten advice off of him several times. Glad you got it sorted! Hopefully it'll last another 10 years. I have the switch you needed in my parts bin. : (

mickeyfinn

Newly Enlightened
Hey,

I bought this Ultrafire C2 Cree more than 10 years ago from DX. I think it was $11 or $12.

Simple light. One 18650 battery. One mode. No strobe. No SOS. No BS. Nothing more than an off/on light which is what I wanted, and a very bright one too.

Recently it began flickering. Mr. Nguyen (Sky Lumen) replaced the switch. It's working as well as ever now.

I'm happy.
20180616_142537_zpsqhhqyaeo.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:

Latest posts