Thoughts on Cold Steel knives:

Muppet

Newly Enlightened
Spyderco's "classic" knives - the Delica and Endura - are about perfect for most jobs. Not too expensive, not too flashy. Their higher end stuff (the Military) seems a bit out of my taste, and I'm not sure about the Byrd line. At all.

SAR

Newly Enlightened
You get what you pay for, with so many custom makers and guys that are just getting started. You could get a fine user for more and not a bunch more money. When I first got started I was just happy to sell my knives for what i had into them so look around you would be surprised.

Most of these type of knives and not just the cold steel flavor can take a little abuse. When you cross over into quality steels and professional heat treat you get knives that will be tough and hold an edge. I would rather save my money and purchase a good quality knife that the manufacture or maker stands behinds, knowing I can count on that knife.

just my 2 cents

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
I'm not a die-hard CS fan but I do own them and they often become my main task, carry, and hunting knife. I haven't had one come up short yet. I think they provide performance close to the most expensive brands. I'm also fan of custom knives but I appreciate the usability factor of CS very much.

This is how one of their cheapie models performed under severe independent testing:
http://knifetests.com/page28.html

Bushman5
if he wantsa to show how "tough": his knives are, do it with REAL WORLD tests: repeated cutting, repeated sharpening, repeated exposure to water, mud, tough hides, blood, and saltwater , cutting of various materials etc etc etc.

I would compare that to testing the life span of LEDs. All good quality knives would appear relatively equal. Saltwater would be hard on high carbon knives but even that would take many months or years to produce results.

Outdoors Fanatic
This is the one I'm looking at right now-- Recon Scout in SK-5 High-Carbon steel:

http://www.knifeworks.com/index.asp?...OD&ProdID=8972

It's a tank OF. It would be hard to go wrong with that knife. My brother has used that model, non-coated, for his main out-dooring and hunting knife for the past 6-7 years. The only down side is the blade thickness. At 5/16 it isn't the best camp knife imo but would be great for all tasks heavier that food preparation. The flat ground blade does overcome some of its thickness though.

Paulr
Scout? Is that the thin blade Bowie that's smaller than the trailmaster? I have one of those and was trying to remember what it was called. Yeah if that's the one you want and if I can find it, I can part with it, I haven't used it in years.

Just shorter Paul, same 5/16ths thickness.

Monocrom
Those extreme tests seen in the CS "Proof" videos are used to help sell CS knives. The claims are that a ColdSteel knife can pass such "extreme testing." But, when an individual buys a CS knife and wants to put it to the same test that he saw it pass in the video; CS tells him, "Oh, that's abuse. It'll void the warranty."

What the Hell?...... Oh no, you can't have it both ways! You can't claim your products are good enough for use under extreme conditions when you're selling them, but then claim those exact same conditions are "abuse," after the product was purchased.

Monocrom, he's simply displaying how the knife will perform under the worst case scenario. Industry and individuals have been testing tools to destruction ever since man has created them. Most of us would never destroy our knife purchased with hard earned money but people like to know where the limit is and what type of abuse it takes to destroy a knife? "Extreme conditions" and "destructive testing" are two different things. Thinking that CS is wavering because they won't warranty a destroyed knife is like faulting an auto manufacturer for not providing warranty coverage after the owner's car is totaled. Destruction testing gives consumers an idea of what they can expect out of their product. If they abuse it, there is a good chance is could break. If they use it properly they'll probably own it for a life time.

Last edited:

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not a die-hard CS fan but I do own them and they often become my main task, carry, and hunting knife. I haven't had one come up short yet. I think they provide performance close to the most expensive brands.

+1

I've owned several Cold Steel knives since I bought my first one in 1982 IIRC, one of the push daggers. I EDCed various models of Cold Steel push daggers for years. Used often for demanding tasks - cutting thick rope, splitting hard wood, etc. - and they always came through just fine. All were lost or stolen over the years.

In 1986 I got one of the 4 inch folding tantos with Kraton grips. Blade was 3/16 " thick, which meant it was no lightweight - in fact, that was one heavy duty folder. Carried on outdoor adventures and used and abused for 10 years with no functional degradation - the Kraton was sort of worn down in places, but still offered a good grip. Still locked up tight with zero blade play and still took and held a razor edge. That tanto was stolen out of my car back in 1996.

I've also owned a couple of the Voyagers with 3" and 4" blades. Great performing knives for what they cost. Very tough and durable knives - suprisingly lighweight for how tough they are. Simple and unassuming in apperance, the Voyager series are wonderful utility-beater knives - especially for use outdoors. Great bang for the buck.

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
+1

I've owned several Cold Steel knives since I bought my first one in 1982 IIRC, one of the push daggers. I EDCed various models of Cold Steel push daggers for years. Used often for demanding tasks - cutting thick rope, splitting hard wood, etc. - and they always came through just fine. All were lost or stolen over the years.

In 1986 I got one of the 4 inch folding tantos with Kraton grips. Blade was 3/16 " thick, which meant it was no lightweight - in fact, that was one heavy duty folder. Carried on outdoor adventures and used and abused for 10 years with no functional degradation - the Kraton was sort of worn down in places, but still offered a good grip. Still locked up tight with zero blade play and still took and held a razor edge. That tanto was stolen out of my car back in 1996.

I've also owned a couple of the Voyagers with 3" and 4" blades. Great performing knives for what they cost. Very tough and durable knives - suprisingly lightweight for how tough they are. Simple and unassuming in appearance, the Voyager series are wonderful utility-beater knives - especially for use outdoors. Great bang for the buck.

Nice selection there Ringzero. I'm only sorry that they disappeared on you over the years. I really hope that you're able to replace them with others that you'll enjoy.

I think my smallest CS are a Recon, and a PeacekeeperII. The rest are large knives. The Vaquero Grande or Voyager XL are my defensive carriers. I have one of them on me just about all of the time. I have three other large fixed blades including a standard Trailmaster and I'm especially pleased with it as my main home defense and out-dooring blade. I couldn't hurt that knife during two lifetimes of regular use.

NelsonFlashlites

Enlightened
Well, I own a zytel handled Ti-Lite, and like it. The edge is nowhere near as sharp as when I bought it about a year ago, though. I broke the pocket clip and they replaced it no questions asked.

Just my 2¢.

carrot

Flashaholic
Well, I own a zytel handled Ti-Lite, and like it. The edge is nowhere near as sharp as when I bought it about a year ago, though. I broke the pocket clip and they replaced it no questions asked.

Just my 2¢.
It's funny, because I just picked up the same model for a friend and I was overall very unimpressed with it. Did not like the lack of purchase on the liner release, felt the liner/tang contact face was poorly designed, and felt that the "guards" on the blade should have been chamfered, as they are very rough on the fingers. Also, the ball detent is incredibly hard to overcome with the (imo) poorly placed thumbstud. Makes me hate thumbstuds. Only thing I was impressed with was the aesthetics and the sharpness out of box.

Maybe Spyderco has spoiled me with their incredible liner lock on the Military?

On the other hand, I thought the CS Voyager was a really nicely made folder.

Feeling pretty good about the two (rubber and zytel) trainers I bought, and so far I think I like them. The zytel one is a little rough on the hands as well, though. I really liked their Nightshade FGX series, if a little impractical, they are still nicely made.

I also took the chance to sample their GI Tanto fixed blade. For $20 it seems a pretty good deal, and aught to be able to take a good beating. I think it's really ugly, and the sheath isn't great, but I was just looking for a strong, cheap fixed blade to use while my Ranger Shank gets its edge thinned out.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice selection there Ringzero. I'm only sorry that they disappeared on you over the years. I really hope that you're able to replace them with others that you'll enjoy.

I don't collect knives, so if I buy a knife it's strictly to carry and use. I've had enough knives stolen over the years to convince me to no longer buy expensive knives.

I won't buy a knife that I'm reluctant to carry because I worry about damaging or losing it. In today's money the price limit for me is around 50 bucks, but there's lots of very decent knives available for 50 bucks or less.

Currently I don't own any Cold Steel knives, but I'll probably pick up Large and Medium clip point Voyagers sometime in the near future. This thread helped remind me how much I loved my old CS Voyagers.

I think my smallest CS are a Recon, and a PeacekeeperII. The rest are large knives. The Vaquero Grande or Voyager XL are my defensive carriers. I have one of them on me just about all of the time. I have three other large fixed blades including a standard Trailmaster and I'm especially pleased with it as my main home defense and out-dooring blade. I couldn't hurt that knife during two lifetimes of regular use.

The Vaquero Grande and Voyager XL look like great knives, but aren't they a little big for EDC? I handled the Voyager XL in a store and it seemed pretty big to me at the time.

I came close to buying a Trailmaster many times over the years, but never did buy one for some reason. One of my camping buddies has had a Trailmaster for many years and it has seen a lot of hard use outdoors. He really loves that knife.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Ringzero
The Vaquero Grande and Voyager XL look like great knives, but aren't they a little big for EDC? I handled the Voyager XL in a store and it seemed pretty big to me at the time.

At my old job it was too big as you had guessed, mainly because I was in dockers and a dress shirt and it wouldn't have been appropriate (PC)because it might frighten a customer or something...lol But everywhere else I usually carry it inside my front pocket or the outer edge of my right back pocket. The knive's carry characteristics defy it's menacing opened size. I think it's because of its smooth, thin, and lightweight handle and great pocket clip. It's strange that it doesn't even bother me in my front pocket while driving. I think it sorta tends to lay along side my leg rather that get pinched between my torso and thigh when I sit. Anyhow, I don't carry the knife for tasks, I carry it for defensive purposes only and use a little Spyderco native or military for when I need a general purpose knife.

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bought a CS Search&Rescue Knife (SRK) back in the late 80s or early 90s for about $37 at a gun show. Real basic 6" fixed blade, Kraton handle. 3/16 CarbonV blade with Made in USA stamped on it. Old nylon sheath. Just a good generic cheap knife. Just about perfect for the car trunk or stashed by your bed. Sorry to hear the Kraton handles "leak" but at least there's something under there to rust ;)

Looks like they've changed quite a bit.

http://www.coldsteel.com/38ck.html

"Survival" Rescue Knife. Stainless, expensive.

Last edited:

Dantor

Enlightened
What do you guys think about Cold Steel fixed blades and folders? I probably wouldn't pick a CS folder over a Spydie or a Benchmade, but how are their fixed blades? Are they really that good or just marketing BS?
:confused:

Some people like em, some don't, to each their own, but I gotta get me a bushman, if only to test it and see for myself.

Bushman5

Enlightened
^ you wont be disapointed! you can get them WICKED SHARP using 3m silicone paper, starting at 600 grit and working up to 4000 grit.

Knivery

Newly Enlightened
I'm one who used to think of Cold Steel knives as shoddy and rather second rate.

A while back I became interested in a Cold Steel Ti-Lite. It didn't seem to have a competitor in design or style so I decided to study it further. After about six months I saw one in a knife store. Just seeing it in the showcase I knew it was much MORE of a knife than I thought from having only viewed it online.

It feels like a $2-300 knife when holding it. The lock is very strong and, IMO, ingenious. I opted for the satin finish AUS8 over the bead blasted Carpenter steel model because, IMO, a knife of this design should have a shiny blade. The Cold Steel AUS8 seems to be like Buck 420 steel---they evidently have the heat treat down right. I really like the knife and am very pleased with it. I've had it less than a year but so far it is doing great at everything I call on it for.

I would no longer hesitate to buy a Cold Steel product, especially with the new steel upgrades. Getting one in hand will change a lot of minds.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
Spyderco > Cold Steel.

Way to much mall ninja mojo for me, but like I said in another thread they do have some very popular, durable models.

I just can't take a company that slashes up dead pigs to sell knives seriously. I also find it disrespectful.

Last edited:

BillSWPA

Enlightened
I have EDC'd Spydercos for several years now, having tried several other brands, including some that are much more expensive. However, the Cold Steel knives I have purchased have been nicely made, durable, useful knives, and good values for the money. I like the fact that they will abuse their knives on video. I could name multiple other knife makers which claim unspecified, undocumented connections and/or use by special forces, etc., and then charge high prices for knives with thin liner locks and/or various other deficiencies that would not survive a fraction of the abuse shown in the "Proof" videos.

I also like a lot of their other products.

I would not recommend their "educational" videos.

SVT-ROY

Enlightened
I have yet to try a knife from them, I am however about to order a warrior katana for gits and shiggles. Curious to see what's what.

cpf360

Newly Enlightened
I've used their throwing knives and they're very nice, but that's kind of niche.