Thrunite Lynx (1x18650, XM-L2) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO and more!

TEEJ

Flashaholic
It is very good to add momentary on function in it .just replace one of the four modes. and for lock out.we use electronic lock out. then they magnetic will not active it !

It looks like thrunite could add the momentary though, which would help make it better for the tactical market....and as they use one of the other modes to get it...that works too, as most tactical users want fewer modes anyway.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree that if a light doesn't have a momentary on/off, its not a tactical UI, as there's really no "Pop and Move" capability, which is a fairly large part of tactical use. There should be at LEAST a half press type momentary on to qualify.

Without momentary, it is not a tactical light, and "Designed for tactical use" should not be part of the advertising. "Designed badly for tactical use", maybe. Not trying to be needlessly provocative, but come on, with no momentary it's not even close man.

With momentary, the entire package looks awesome. With momentary, being able to pre-set the light to the level I want, being able to use it in one mode, change the setting to another and then pop the button when needed ... all of this looks great.

Norm

Retired Administrator
Some off topic posts removed, holylight your reposting of PMs is against forum rules, what is talked about in private should stay private further instances will see you taking some time off, remember the Vegas rule. - Norm

Last edited:

y260

Enlightened
I think a switch can make or break a flashlight. The Nitecore SRT5, which is strikingly similar to the Scorpion (or Lynx) was a nearly perfect EDC light but it's switch was terribly flawed in my opinion. Its switch was spongy and took 1/2 a second to turn on the light. And now here with this new Lynx, it's a reverse-clicky? :thinking:

430Scuderia

Newly Enlightened
Hi SB,

Great review as always and thanks for taking the time to provide it to all who are interested.

Any chance of outdoor beam shots comparing Thrunite Lynx vs. the Nitecore SRT7?

Again thanks for all your hard work!

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Hmmm, I'll consider it. I've been meaning to head out for some pics, but haven't had time lately.

By the way, I see it wasn't clear how I described the interface above - the switch is not a reverse clicky on the Lynx. It acts like a reverse clicky in the sense that you have to re-press it when switching modes, and there is no momentary on (at least as currently programmed - Thrunite is apparently working on that for the final release). The switch is not like a forward clicky, in that the Lynx only comes on once you press all the way. But you don't need to release for activation (i.e., constant-on happens with the full press). So it should be feasible for Thrunite to reprogram for momentary modes if they want.

That's the thing with electronic switches - they are neither forward clickies nor reverse clickies. Better to say they can be programmed for constant-on or momentary-on with a full press - but you will always need a full press to activate (unless the switch has multiple depth points, like on some of the Nitecore lights).

Last edited:

bluemax_1

Enlightened
Here's an interesting question that just occurred to me:
The switch is in the tail, as is the selector. Is the driver in the head? You mentioned that the Scorpion's Turbo head DOES fit just fine on the Lynx, is the tailcap/tailswitch similarly swappable? If so, are the modes the same as the original light (i.e. Scorpion modes for a Scorpion with Lynx tailswitch?).

Max

P.S. as for the final iteration, 3 user programmable modes + momentary would be great. Although I like the idea of an accessible firefly, for Tactical and LEO type usage, a constant High, a constant Low/Med, a Tactical strobe and a momentary High are the most important to have available. If I really need a firefly mode, I can reprogram the Low/Med for that specific usage for that limited time.

4 user programmable modes + momentary would be perfect, but apparently, perfect is simply not allowed in the flashlight world.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
The switch is in the tail, as is the selector. Is the driver in the head? You mentioned that the Scorpion's Turbo head DOES fit just fine on the Lynx, is the tailcap/tailswitch similarly swappable? If so, are the modes the same as the original light (i.e. Scorpion modes for a Scorpion with Lynx tailswitch?).
The Turbohead option is just a reflector/bezel - it doesn't swap out the emitter or whatever circuit is in the head. So it has no effect on the functioning of the light.

In terms of swapping the tailcaps between the lynx and Scorpion, I haven't tried that. It could work, or it could "misfire" on you - depends if they have changed anything significant in how the tailcap control circuit interfaces with the head. That's not something I have the ability to interrogate, and wouldn't want to experiment without the ok from Thrunite.

430Scuderia

Newly Enlightened
Hmmm, I'll consider it. I've been meaning to head out for some pics, but haven't had time lately.

By the way, I see it wasn't clear how I described the interface above - the switch is not a reverse clicky on the Lynx. It acts like a reverse clicky in the sense that you have to re-press it when switching modes, and there is no momentary on (at least as currently programmed - Thrunite is apparently working on that for the final release). The switch is not like a forward clicky, in that the Lynx only comes on once you press all the way. But you don't need to release for activation (i.e., constant-on happens with the full press). So it should be feasible for Thrunite to reprogram for momentary modes if they want.

That's the thing with electronic switches - they are neither forward clickies nor reverse clickies. Better to say they can be programmed for constant-on or momentary-on with a full press - but you will always need a full press to activate (unless the switch has multiple depth points, like on some of the Nitecore lights).

Thanks SB, that is exactly the clarification I was looking for.:rock:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
And here you go:

For outdoor beamshots, these are all done in the style of my earlier 100-yard round-up review. Please see that thread for a discussion of the topography (i.e. the road dips in the distance, to better show you the corona in the mid-ground). I think this batch of outdoor beamshots looks fairly good, due to all the Fall colors in the trees. :)

SRT7-LynxT-Lynx.gif

SRT7-LynxT-Lynxz.gif

Sorry, my positioning was a little off on the standard head Lynx shots, but this should still give you the general idea. As is clear above, the Lynx has greater overall output than the SRT-7. In terms of throw, the standard Lynx head is slightly more thowy than the SR7 (but that's really due to the greater overall output). The Turbo head option definitely gives the Lynx greater throw.

Also, please ignore any tint differences above – they are mainly due to the automatic white balance setting on the camera.

bluemax_1

Enlightened
As with the Scorpion, I definitely prefer the Turbo beam profile. It retains the same beam width as the regular head, but increases the throw. Actually, when I tested the Scorpion, it appeared to me on the unit I was testing, that the Turbo head's beam had a much more intense hotspot AND was marginally wider than the Standard head. Looking at the gifs above, it appears this holds true for the Lynx as well.

Max

Last edited:

430Scuderia

Newly Enlightened
Thanks SB for taking the time to create and post the beamshots. It is greatly appreciated.

chouster

Newly Enlightened
Thanks selfbuilt for the review, great work as always. I like nearly everything about this light. The name, the new tailcap, the new UI, just hope there will be a neutral or even warm white version available, love the warmish tints.

Personally I don't need a momentary function. The disadvantage of this function in the scorpion was the fact, that whenever you wanted to switch to max output immediately, you had to go through a short time of darkness afterwards. Now with the lynx, that problem is gone, even if Thrunite decides to give it a momentary function, you still have three progammable modes, you can switch between without turning the light off. Either way, what we won't have is momentary strobe...

430Scuderia

Newly Enlightened
^ They did add the momentary max on switch position 1. You can see the description on the Thrunite web site. Also their USA Thrunite-store web site shows it retailing for $129.00. It includes their 18650 battery and screw on diffuser along with the usual accessories.

Last edited:

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
Could you comment on the pressure required to turn the tail switch on?

I really loved the scorpion but as you mentioned found the old level not intuitive; I always set my variable to the lowest setting so going clockwise I had Medium (40ish lumens), firefly, strobe, max. I'm excited to have the choice to put those levels in at least what I see as a more logical order.
One of my complaints with the old light though was how easily it was to accidently turn on the flashlight. So often it turned on by itself and when I went to use it the battery was dead. Or, if I was smarter, the battery wasn't dead because I had unswrewed the tailcap but that makes it not ready to go like I like it to be.
So the question is, is the newer cap easier to accidently activate?

Also is there anything between the low .1ish firefly and 40ish lumens of the lowest preset? I was kind of hoping to have .1/10/300/1000 - possible?

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Although the switch feel is slightly difference (i.e., all metal now), the overall resistance and traverse is about the same. So if you found accidental activation an issue before, you likely will again (unless you physically lock out the light, as you mentioned).

But as for the output levels, you have full control from the <0.1 minimum output through to the max on the Lynx. This is different from the Scorpion, where the ramp didn't go all the way down to the firefly mode. With the Lynx, you could easily customize it as you propose, as all levels in-between are available.

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
Thanks for the response Self built - I really appreciate it! I so loved the UI on the scorpion - being able to switch modes easily with one hand; select which mode to turn the light on with just one hand etc. I've always thought it had to the potential to be my all time favorite XL EDC, "do it all" light. I love this light!
There were 7 changes I would have made to the scorpion to make it the ultimate light for me and from your review it looks like they addressed 4 of those 7 items.

1.) Beef up the tail switch
2.) Enable user to program logical sequence of modes from the tail cap.
3.) Have some low choices between .1 lumens and 40 lumens.
4.) Upgrade to XML2

5.) Tougher glass in the turbo-head to prevent breakage. (3 of mine broke and I know there were many others with broken lens - they wanted 1/2 the price of an identical SUP beam light to replace it!)
6.) A switch that didn't go get turned on so easily. A desirable "tactical" trait I'm sure many non tactical users can appreciate is having a light that is ready to go in an instant. It's in your pocket/on your belt, suddenly you hear a noise over there, you want to be able to pull out your light and immediately be able to light that area up. My experience with 2 scorpions and an identical SUP beam is either a.) I've got no battery left as my light accidentally turned on at some point or b.) I wisely unscrewed the tail cap first but that is usually 2 extra steps for me as I forgot I did that and why my light doesn't work. I've found it turns on much easier than it turns off and so when getting jostled around odds are that it has been turned on but not turned off.
7.) And of course having momentary. 6 and 7 could go together - I don't know if it is possible to make the switch like most all the other 18650 tail cap switch lights - press for momentary in any mode, click for on, bonus points to have a even farther press bring you straight to turbo from any mode.

*Bonus #8 (I don't include it with the others as realistically I'm doubting many other potential customers would desire this than me where as I think many others care about my points 5,6&7.)
Have a thicker rubber sleeve that goes over the notches on the tail cap with identical notches on the outside to make it protude just as far as the tail cap button so that it of course rotates freely with the spinning tailcap but it enables it to tailstand. Similar to the Eagletacs.

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
An interesting thought on this light is that if you dedomed it with the turbohead you'd have a light that out threw the very respected Thrunite Catapault when it first came out. It'd probably beat the first 3 versions on both lux and lumens!