Thrunite Lynx (1x18650, XM-L2) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO and more!

tubed

Enlightened
I was excited to see this light finally go on sale but am disapointed because, as far as I can tell, they're not offering the turbohead option.

bluemax_1

Enlightened
rickypanecatyl,

- Apparently, the Lynx will come with position 1 as Momentary Turbo.
- As far as the tailswitch goes, because it's a magnetic switch and not a mechanical switch, there's no way to do a partial press for momentary and full click for constant.
- As for turning on too easily, it depends on the way the light is carried. I'm somewhat disappointed that they removed the lockout position on the tailcap. Although I did occasionally lockout the tailcap with the light On, the solution was to cut a hole in the holster so I could easily notice if the light was on. No worries about drained batteries. When this comes out, I'll probably get the LHU-14-43 holster for it, which has a hole allowing light to come through the holster end.

tubed,
The Scorpion Turbo head is available as an add-on that fits the Lynx. No idea if the Lynx will ever be offered with the Turbo head to avoid the extra expense of buying a separate head.

Max

bluemax_1

Enlightened
If one wanted a OEM large head on this style of light, the Supbeam T-10 comes with a 42.8mm head.

Bluemax 1, don't you own the Supbeam T-10 as in this thread?
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?357984-Recommend-a-Tactical-1x18650-light

Sorry for the thread jack SB
Yes, I bought a T10 to evaluate it. I prefer the Scorpion v2 with Turbo head. This Lynx with the Turbo head will be even better.

The T10 is SO throw focused that it sacrifices too much, for my preferences, to focus on throw. The T10 has a much narrower spillbeam than most similar lights available including the Scorpion Turbo. The hotspot is also smaller than any other 1x18650 light out there.

If you've read my comments on the Tactical Strobe thread, I've mentioned that a narrow hotspot makes it much harder to quickly hit a suspect in the eyes. The narrow spill also means that depending on the range, their hands may not be illuminated when you hit them in the eyes/face. The narrow spillbeam also causes tunnel vision when clearing a building or searching an alley etc.

BTW, the Scorpion heads DO NOT fit the T10 without modification and vice versa. They altered the emitter heights between the lights to ensure that.

For my preferences, the Lynx with Turbo head is a near ideal light. If they could have made it with 5 modes (3 programmable plus momentary Turbo and Strobe) the UI would be perfect.

Max

tubed

Enlightened
I, too, think this lynx is getting close to perfect. As time goes on, i'm settling down to single 18650 lights as the perfect "universal light" in terms of doing everything. NOW, I just need to find the perfect one - there are so many out there now.
This light ticks a lot of boxes for me: one handed operation, a real low, low, customizable interface, good thrower with some flood, etc.
My beef with the UI - you have to turn it off to change the level then back on. UGGH. so close.
Right now this light is battling with the Eagletac G2C2 for my next big purchase.

bluemax_1

Enlightened
I, too, think this lynx is getting close to perfect. As time goes on, i'm settling down to single 18650 lights as the perfect "universal light" in terms of doing everything. NOW, I just need to find the perfect one - there are so many out there now.
This light ticks a lot of boxes for me: one handed operation, a real low, low, customizable interface, good thrower with some flood, etc.
My beef with the UI - you have to turn it off to change the level then back on. UGGH. so close.
Right now this light is battling with the Eagletac G2C2 for my next big purchase.
The G25C2-mkII is my current work light.

- if a low low is important to you, the mkII's lowest low is 7 lumens.
- the mkII's operation can be buggy. If you don't clean it regularly, some owners have reported difficulty getting Maximum mode. My experience is the opposite. I have always been able to get Maximum mode. When it malfunctions for me (Tactical Interface), I lose the Low mode (Tactical Interface goes from Maximum ~1000 lumens, Low 100 lumens, Strobe 1, Strobe 2). With the head tight, I still get Maximum. With the head in ANY loosened position, I get Strobe 2.

Since Maximum and Strobe are the most critical modes for me and Low is merely a convenience, I still carry it. It doesn't happen often, but it's something to keep in mind. OTOH, I've never had an issue not getting the mode I want with the Scorpion or T10. I don't like their interfaces though. I don't need firefly on a work light. I need Momentary Maximum, Constant Maximum, Strobe and a low/med.

With the Scorpion/T10, I was forced to choose between a Constant Maximum OR Constant low/medium. Since a constant Maximum took priority, I had no low/med mode, which can be a little inconvenient when trying to not blind yourself at night.

Max

430Scuderia

Newly Enlightened
Yes, I bought a T10 to evaluate it. I prefer the Scorpion v2 with Turbo head. This Lynx with the Turbo head will be even better.

The T10 is SO throw focused that it sacrifices too much, for my preferences, to focus on throw. The T10 has a much narrower spillbeam than most similar lights available including the Scorpion Turbo. The hotspot is also smaller than any other 1x18650 light out there.

If you've read my comments on the Tactical Strobe thread, I've mentioned that a narrow hotspot makes it much harder to quickly hit a suspect in the eyes. The narrow spill also means that depending on the range, their hands may not be illuminated when you hit them in the eyes/face. The narrow spillbeam also causes tunnel vision when clearing a building or searching an alley etc.

BTW, the Scorpion heads DO NOT fit the T10 without modification and vice versa. They altered the emitter heights between the lights to ensure that.

For my preferences, the Lynx with Turbo head is a near ideal light. If they could have made it with 5 modes (3 programmable plus momentary Turbo and Strobe) the UI would be perfect.

Max

Gotcha. Thanks for the detailed information on the T10. I have never seen a written review on that light and assumed it was similar to the scorpion/lynx with the turbo head. The new lynx is almost perfect but it's obvious Thrunite does not get their input from LEOs otherwise the UI would be exactly as you stated and in the correct mode selection order of what I think should be from left to right: user defined first 3 modes, momentary strobe, momentary max.

Last edited:

tubed

Enlightened

- the mkII's operation can be buggy. If you don't clean it regularly, some owners have reported difficulty getting Maximum mode. My experience is the opposite. I have always been able to get Maximum mode. When it malfunctions for me (Tactical Interface), I lose the Low mode (Tactical Interface goes from Maximum ~1000 lumens, Low 100 lumens, Strobe 1, Strobe 2). With the head tight, I still get Maximum. With the head in ANY loosened position, I get Strobe 2.

Max

Thanks for that Max,
I don't buy a lot of these lights and nothing's worse than getting one that doesn't work reliably. Last year I got a nitecore MH25 that has turned out to be dud. - mode selection might as well be a roulette wheel (that always seems to land on strobe). Can't stand it. Reliability has now moved up my list as an important quality. Glad to hear your previous Thrunites were ok

ThruNite

Newly Enlightened
Based on the Scorpion, the Lynx has the following updates:

1. Driver:

We have spent 17 months developing what I believe to be the best driver available - something I am very proud of. The Lynx is current regulated from 3.0v - 6.6v. and will deliver a steady output of more than 1000 ANSI Lumen using either one 18650, or two CR123A cells. It is the first light to deliver such high regulated current with a single 18650 battery.

2: Metal tail cap:

Most of the plastic parts of the tailcap have been replaced with metal for better durability and functionality.

3: Lock Out:

The mechanical lock out of the Scorpion has been replaced in the Lynx with an electronic lock out. To lock out the Lynx, press the tailcap quickly three times. The light will flash and lock out. It is re-activated by another three quick presses of the tailcap. In lock out mode nearby strong magnetic fields will have no effect on the operation of the Lynx.

tubed

Enlightened
Hey Thrunite,
is there any chance you will offer this light for sale with the turbohead so we don't have to buy two heads?

Scourie

Enlightened
I think this could be my next purchase,.it ticks all my boxes. Would like to see a output graph on max for the shipping version first though.

Rob.

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
The Scorpion Turbo Head fits quite nicely on the T10 SUP Beam body and puts our a floodier beam that I like better. There is a gap between the top of the emitter and bottom of the reflector though.
(This is an experimental post by the way - I'm trying to attach multiple pictures from Tapatalk.)

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
T10 head vs Turbo Head.

Notice it is much bigger. And notice I failed to attach any pictures! :)

Sent from my C5502 using Tapatalk

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
re4ynuze.jpg

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
y5ygehu7.jpg

This is a SUP Beam with the Scorpion Turbo Head and the original had next to it.

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
rickypanecatyl,

- Apparently, the Lynx will come with position 1 as Momentary Turbo.
- As far as the tailswitch goes, because it's a magnetic switch and not a mechanical switch, there's no way to do a partial press for momentary and full click for constant.

Max

Thanks for that clarification Max - I was wondering if it just wasn't possible to to have that kind of switch.

As far as accidental activation I did it many times a day. I really like carrying mine not on a belt but in a "SAP" pocket - it's a small, slit opening cargo style pocket that places the head just below your butt and the handle in the easiest to reach spot and I don't notice it at all when sitting.
I'm hoping that position 1 you mentioned for momentary is turned all the way clockwise. I have this personal hang up of liking my modes to be in sequential order such as low, med, high, turbo as opposed to something like turbo, low, high, medium. Even more unique to me (I realize it's as random as a developing nation chosing which side of the road to drive on - follow England or the US?) I like it to go from lower to higher when turning clockwise.

If one wanted a OEM large head on this style of light, the Supbeam T-10 comes with a 42.8mm head.

I can confirm the Scorpion Turbohead works real nicely on the SUP Beam, not as much throw but I like the profile better. I can't confirm the reverse as I lost my last of 3 Scorpions. (1 lost, 1 broken, 1 a gift).

- if a low low is important to you, the mkII's lowest low is 7 lumens.

Max

+1 here! The Eagletach is the glitchiest, randomest flashlight I own. Seems to be better after a through cleaning but mine is real bad just days later!

Thanks for that Max,
I don't buy a lot of these lights and nothing's worse than getting one that doesn't work reliably. Last year I got a nitecore MH25 that has turned out to be dud. - mode selection might as well be a roulette wheel (that always seems to land on strobe). Can't stand it. Reliability has now moved up my list as an important quality. Glad to hear your previous Thrunites were ok

So glad to hear other are valuing this extremely unique trait! :poke: Seriously, if all one cared about what the lux, lumens and size numbers our night markets here in Malaysia have everything for under $25. 2 is 1 and 1 is none is not a motto that I want to hear any manufacturer live by that I purchase products from!
On that note I went thru 3 lenses on the original turbohead. The turbohead in the picture also has a cracked lens. One arrived in the mail that way. I'm betting the turbohead will go right on the Lynx but I would like to see them upgrade that. FWIW the uber cheap SUP Beam T10 head has much stronger glass.

If some of that sounded negative that's just because I think this light is the closest light to the perfect light out there! I'm certainly going to buy one. Honestly if they checked all the boxes I was looking for I'd probably buy 10 as flashlights like this are excellent gifts. However reliability is the very top of the list for gift giving from me. With $130 gift, I'd much rather give a much simpler light that I was confident could be depended upon for many years. Over here it's kind of a bad sign to give someone a "flashy" gift that just ends up in the can with a "You know that really could have been a cool gift if only they had..."

Last edited:

430Scuderia

Newly Enlightened
I'm hoping that position 1 you mentioned for momentary is turned all the way clockwise. I have this personal hang up of liking my modes to be in sequential order such as low, med, high, turbo as opposed to something like turbo, low, high, medium. Even more unique to me (I realize it's as random as a developing nation chosing which side of the road to drive on - follow England or the US?) I like it to go from lower to higher when turning clockwise."

Unfortunately the momentary position is all the way to the left counter clockwise according the picture on the Thrunite website.
I agree with you that it should be all the way to the right clockwise. They should adhere to KISS principle (Keep it simple stupid) meaning ALL THE WAY RIGHT = BRIGHT! It's only natural for electronics to increase when turning to the right regardless of what country.

bluemax_1

Enlightened
The Scorpion Turbo Head fits quite nicely on the T10 SUP Beam body and puts our a floodier beam that I like better. There is a gap between the top of the emitter and bottom of the reflector though.
(This is an experimental post by the way - I'm trying to attach multiple pictures from Tapatalk.)

It physically 'fits', as in the threads are the same so it screws on, but if you showed beamshots of the three:
- the Scorpion v2 Turbo has a nice beam with a good hotspot and decently wide spillbeam
- the T10 has a tight beam. Super tight hotspot and much narrower spillbeam
- the T10 with Scorpion's Turbo head produces a beam with LOTS of ringy artifacts due to the gap between the base of the reflector and emitter.

BTW, I misspoke when I said the T10 has the narrowest beam for a 1x18650 light. The ArmyTek Predator has a similarly throw focused beam. Very tight hotspot and narrow spill.

Max

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
Unfortunately the momentary position is all the way to the left counter clockwise according the picture on the Thrunite website.
I agree with you that it should be all the way to the right clockwise. They should adhere to KISS principle (Keep it simple stupid) meaning ALL THE WAY RIGHT = BRIGHT! It's only natural for electronics to increase when turning to the right regardless of what country.

Momentary firefly it is for me then! :D Interesting to hear others think its only natural to increase in brightness as you turn right as well.

In my mind this kind of balances out one of the best, simplest UI functions with a non intuitive order. One of my biggest expectations in a light that is labeled "tactical" is that it works reliably, consistently and SIMPLY under duress. Under duress I can easily, simply flick the ring with my thumb all the way left or right. I wouldn't be able to reliably stop at a notch in the center though and I can't think consistently in my mind, "Is this the Gen 1 Thru nite I'm holding or the Gen 2 Thrunite I'm holding? ... Let's see... 3 clicks to the left or all the way right on this one?"

Unlike the average LEO, firefly (as well as max) is an emergency mode for me. I just got back from Myanmar where we work with the Kachin and Karen peoples - trying to support while the Burmese military systematically tries to kill Men, woman and kids. We use firefly for not attracting attention to ourselves when doing a quick escape/move.
More often though are non emergency situations where is really is nice to know your light is coming on in full power or firefly. Firefly for not hurting night vision and walking thru the house without disturbing people and max to impress yourself and friends!

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
It physically 'fits', as in the threads are the same so it screws on, but if you showed beamshots of the three:
- the Scorpion v2 Turbo has a nice beam with a good hotspot and decently wide spillbeam
- the T10 has a tight beam. Super tight hotspot and much narrower spillbeam
- the T10 with Scorpion's Turbo head produces a beam with LOTS of ringy artifacts due to the gap between the base of the reflector and emitter.

BTW, I misspoke when I said the T10 has the narrowest beam for a 1x18650 light. The ArmyTek Predator has a similarly throw focused beam. Very tight hotspot and narrow spill.

Max
My turbo head is cracked (that makes 2 cracked turboheads and 2 cracked replacements for me with no drops!) so I have EXTRA artifacts in the beam. Aside from the cheap glass, it produces by far my favorite all around use beam pattern.
I've got the predator with the XPG2 emitter as well. It and the SUP T10 seem to throw about the same distance though the SUP has almost 2X the lumens. This is all personal of course but I consider the Scorpion with normal head quite floody, with turbohead it's my favorite "neutral" beam pattern, the SUP beam crosses the line into thrower pattern (but barely in my mind) and the Predator XPG2 is a thrower. (Then if you really wanted to get a throwy shaped beam you'd take the old 3D Mag incandescent which throws as far as the predator BUT with about 10X less lumens - I just mention that as my personal definition of thrower vs floody beam is still probably shaped by the fact that just 10 years ago that ratio of cd/lumens ie. 30Kcd/45lumens was "normal flashlight" in my book.)