ThruNite P60 XML dropin any good?

IcantC

Enlightened
So how would it do on 2 X 18500?

The multivoltage (I think 3-9 volt) can run 2x18650, runtime should be almost 2 hours on high I think.

I might go with that dropin and combo but lack tools to do runtime tests.

m1ruf

Newly Enlightened
Any guesstimates regarding runtime on high witch two CR 123 primaries?

recDNA

Flashaholic
An issue that hasn't been mentioned so far but may be even more relevant than runtime is the host you are using. G2 Nitrolon has no way to get rid of the heat that will build up in max mode. When I said the unit would be safe I took your question out of context. No 1.5 amp set up is safe in that host for long. I don't have a G2 to test but I would guess anything more than 5 or 10 minutes on high might toast the LED. You may want to purchase a lower power LED drop in for your G2 if you intend to run it in max mode for any duration.

If you decide to go with this setup anyway I would suggest running in max for 5 minutes then take out the batteries to see if they are hot. If not all you risk is toasting the emitter. You may notice the tint turning blue over time or it may simply :poof: without warning.

If you go with the 3 mode version and run it on medium or low you'll get more runtime and preserve the emitter. Just use max for short bursts.

flashmenow

Newly Enlightened
Greetings. I have one of these drop in LEDs. There is one issue not brought up in this thread. The LED came off center on mine. Thrunite posted up on the forums that the LED is not "fixed" on the pill. They use the reflector to center the LED visually. The reflector (hole) does not completely seat over the LED module and stands off a tad creating a very small gap near the bottom. This will allow particles to get inside the reflector as well as the LED can move about.

I will try to dig up the given thread that was posted about the problem. One CPF member stated that he created a spacer to fill the gap and hold the LED to center.

Overall a great drop in, lots of light excellent run times.

Glenn

EDIT inserting link to off center discussion :

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sh...-impressions&p=2669751&viewfull=1#post2669751

Last edited:

dm_graham308

Newly Enlightened
I purchased one of these dropins and it is extremely bright!!

Only 1 issue.....if i run it on more than 2x123a or 1x18650 it only stays on for a few minutes then shuts down. If i run it on 2x123a or 1x18650 it works flawless with a great run time.

Therrin

Newly Enlightened
With a 1.5v dropin and a freshly charged 2600-2900mAh 18650, you could theoretically get more than 1 1/2 hours run time on high (without considering any inefficiencies).
I wasn't aware 18650's came in the 2600-2900mAh range... is this verified or just manufacturer claims?

I've been running a Thrunite XML 3-9V dropin in my L2p ever since the Thrunite XML came out. I'm using two 18650's in series with it. Have been very happy with it, but not much to compare it to. It blows most of my other stuff outta the water. Haven't tested the amp draw on it yet.

I'm interested in looking into other XML dropins that run at a slightly higher amperage/output... but I had thought typical 18650's (non IMR) you're supposed to run at about 1C, so for mine that'd be 2.2 to 2.4A. I'm not sure what a 3A draw would do to my batteries. Any comments on this?

flashlight chronic

Enlightened
I have the 2900mah rated AW brand IC 18650. There are 3100mah made by AW and Redilast. Lighthound carries them. What 18650 are you using? Some can't handle a high amp draw.

Last edited:

ltxi

Newly Enlightened
The 3100mah AWs are about the only 18650s I use now. And none that don't have "Cell and IC made in Japan" on the label.....higher cap AW and Redilast.

Therrin

Newly Enlightened
As mentioned in other threads, I've got about sixty of these:
http://www.molicel.com/ca/pdf/ICR18650H.pdf

So I'm trying to get some use out of them.
I could probably use them for other projects and get some of the 3100mAh AW's though for my battery packs for underground use.

But now that I read the sheet it says they can be discharged at 4 to 5A. *confused*. Oh well.

Roood

Newly Enlightened
Just a quick question, I am getting one for my Solarforce lights, what is the difference or which one is better... XML T6 or XPG R5?

Shurefire

Newly Enlightened
I have a 3 mode XML drop in, and I am moderately impressed, however I like the Malkoff m61 much better. The spot is better on the m61. In all fairness, I have not used the xml much outside of the house, as the mode switching aggravates me. It seems like I have to wait forever between button pushes in order to keep the same setting. To clarify, if I turn the light off and then back on quickly, it will switch modes, making me cycle all the way back through med and low to get to high again. I have a surefire E1e with lumens factory 3 mode head, and the switching on that is much better. Of course, I only want high brightness when i turn the light on, so if you use med and low a lot, it may be a good feature for you.

UPDATE: The long term quality kinds stinks. I managed to break the solder points on this drop in while taking it out of a bezel. I can generally get it to work without issue after playing with it for a few, but it's not what I had hoped for.

Last edited: