Thrunite TN12 2014 (XM-L2, 1x18650, 2xCR123A/RCR) Review: BEAMSHOTS, RUNTIME, VIDEO+

BWX

Enlightened
Thanks very much for this tip. Added to my 'torches' wish list.

You guys are growing on me, I now say 'flashlight' more often than 'torch' :)

LOL, I always think of something like this when I hear the word "torch".

TESV_Torch.png

"Flashlight" is more specific to me.. Only a battery powered (or electric of some kind) light can be called "flashlight", to me..

Must be an "English" English and "American" English language thing.

P.S.
I paid $2.78, free shipping, no tax for that diffuser April 22, 2012. I guess I should have bought 10 of them.

Last edited:

Nightflash

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Selfbuilt for yet another fantastic review with the usual high standard, always a top standard.
Have been using this TN12/2014 only indoors on firefly mode (very good) and low and at first wasn´t overly impressed. Good value for the money but less agreeable to hold and less "tactical" than the Olight M20-X or the Klarus XT11 as well as a whole head longer than the Olight S20. Just took it out this evening (good weather, no wind) to test the max output - and wooowooohoo - absolutely and overly impressed with the output - it´s a ton of light coming out that small (only 25,5mm diameter) front compared to the 34,90mm of the Klarus XT11 (old version with 600lm).
Respect! Completely changed my attitude towards this Thrunite and discovered what was disturbing me all the time: the very sharp edges of the (cheap?) clip are cutting and didn´t permit the right grip on it. Removed that clip and I´m loving it much more now - completely changed the feel. Will start using it much more from now on and see how it keeps performing.

D6859

Enlightened
My clip doesn't have sharp edges, but I just don't like its colour. I would like to have it with black colour as the light has.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Respect! Completely changed my attitude towards this Thrunite and discovered what was disturbing me all the time: the very sharp edges of the (cheap?) clip are cutting and didn´t permit the right grip on it. Removed that clip and I´m loving it much more now - completely changed the feel. Will start using it much more from now on and see how it keeps performing.
My clip doesn't have sharp edges, but I just don't like its colour. I would like to have it with black colour as the light has.
I didn't notice sharp edges on mine either, but I agree the clip does have a "cheaper" feel than some others. But of course, the actual price of this light is cheaper than those ones too. ;)

Southpaw1925

Newly Enlightened
Thrunite TN12 2014 (XM-L2, 1x18650, 2xCR123A/RCR) Review: BEAMSHOTS, RUNTIME...

Got mine today. I think there is something wrong with it. When I press the tail cap all the way down, the light just blinks once on high. That's it. It does it over and over. Same thing if I hold the button down on momentary as well.

I don't know what to do. Bought it from a seller from china. Who should I contact,
Thrunite??

Nightflash

Newly Enlightened
Re: Thrunite TN12 2014 (XM-L2, 1x18650, 2xCR123A/RCR) Review: BEAMSHOTS, RUNTIME...

That´s really bad luck (correctable - see below). When holding the button on momentary mine just stays on (as long as I hold the button) when pressing further down resistance increases until it clicks on, makes a second equal click when releasing the button and light stays on. Hey just tried to unscrew just 1 mm and exactly what You describe happens one flash and it goes off every time also on momentary. You just have to tighten it or try another battery. Must work.

Southpaw1925

Newly Enlightened
Thrunite TN12 2014 (XM-L2, 1x18650, 2xCR123A/RCR) Review: BEAMSHOTS, RUNTIME...

This is weird. I just turned the flashlight on this morning and the light works fine. I know last night, I did a lot of unscrewing and screwing to investigate, and perhaps my last assembly of the light ade things work. I disassbled and put the light together again this morning and again, it works fine. UI woks fine. It switches modes easily. Obviously the battery and the head works fine, it has something to do with how tight or loose the body is I think

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Yes, a likely explanation is the switch retaining ring in the tailcap is loosening up. That would explain the behavior described. Try using the end of a paper clip to tighten the ring (turn clockwise, with the paper clip end in one of the holes).

Southpaw1925

Newly Enlightened
Yes, a likely explanation is the switch retaining ring in the tailcap is loosening up. That would explain the behavior described. Try using the end of a paper clip to tighten the ring (turn clockwise, with the paper clip end in one of the holes).

You mean one of these holes right?
sugesese.jpg

Nightflash

Newly Enlightened
Happy end:) Congrats on Your TN12. Since I have the clip off using it all the time. Nice:)

Southpaw1925

Newly Enlightened
Well folks, it is doing it again :( it was working fine this morning up until now. Here's what I noticed tho.

I don't know if it is the retaining ring in the tail cap bc the light works perfectly fine (even on momentary) on moonlight,
Low, medium and high.

But continuing to press the side switch to get to turbo mode, the light blinks once and it shuts off. It'll continue to blink once and shut off everytime you press the tailcap all the way down.

The only way to get back to moonlight (which is the next mode after turbo) is, momentarily press the button very precisely and slowly to get the turbo to turn on. Once turbo is on, you carefully press the side switch for it to go back on moonlight.

There is also no strobe mode. The light shuts off once you hold the side switch.

Basically the light works fine and switches mode until you hit turbo. What should I do?
This is my first thrunite light and my experience so far has been horrid

BWX

Enlightened
Got mine today. I think there is something wrong with it. When I press the tail cap all the way down, the light just blinks once on high. That's it. It does it over and over. Same thing if I hold the button down on momentary as well.

I don't know what to do. Bought it from a seller from china. Who should I contact,
Thrunite??

RMA it.

If you don't know how to RMA it, contact the seller.

One thing to think about when purchasing on-line (anything really), is what your options are if you get it and it doesn't work. That is why I buy from well known retailers, not some random e-bay user or lowest price I could find on Google and some website I have never heard of.

You may save 1 dollar, but in long run sometimes it is worth paying the extra dollar for peace of mind.

I guess you could contact Thrunite directly and ask them, but sometimes manufacturers will only deal with you if you bought their product from an "approved" retailer. I have no idea if Thrunite works like that or not. Email them and find out if you get nowhere with retailer you bought it from.

Last edited: