Thrunite TN31 Review (1xXM-L, 3x18650): RUNTIMES, VIDEO, THROW, BEAMSHOTS and more!

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I have just updated the review with some discussion on peak intensity measuring.

I realize that people are very sensitive to minor differences in raw lux @1m numbers for these thrower lights. But as with lightboxes, you can only really compare throw values to other lights tested with the same meter, under common conditions (i.e., calibrations vary, sometimes widely). Up until now, the light meter used for beam intensity/distance measures in all my summary tables has been the budget Cer CT1330B (which is generally believed around here to commonly have lower numbers than some others lux meters). I recently picked up the slightly more expensive budget-model V&A VA8050, which gives me higher lux readings.

As I have no idea which of these lux meters is closer to the "true" reading, I have recently ordered a proper NIST-calibrated and certified Extech meter. This should resolve the matter, and I will update this review with new throw measures once it arrives. In the meantime, I have re-tested the TN31 on both meters, and get 93,000 lux @1m (610m beam distance) on my standard Cer and and 117,000 lux @1m (684m beam distance) on the new V&A meter.

Note my Cer lux readings have gone up slightly from what was orginally posted up above in the table. That's likely because I didn't quite manage to find the absolute peak intensity in my earlier measure (ANSI FL-1 beam tests involve moving the hotspot around the light meter sensor manually, and recording the absolute maximum obtained). As such, there can be some variation on repeated measures.

Anyway, I will be able to provide more accurate calibrated intensity/distance values once my next NIST-certified lux meter arrives. :wave:

Mar

Newly Enlightened
This is excellent news selfbuilt, I have a 31 and it's a good thrower. I plan on climbing a tall hill around here a photograph some shots to a reflective tape approximatey 1000 meters away.

Looking forward to hear more once your are fully set up with the new toys.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Your reviews are brilliant and exhaustive!
Certainly exhausting! :laughing: I will be away most the last week of June and first week July, so I am rushing to get a whole bunch of reviews out by the end of next week. Seem to have a lot of throwers on hand ... but the TN31 remains a real stand-out for its size.

By the way, here's an extra outdoor shot from my recent Olight SR95UT review:

TN31-SR90-SR95-SR95UT.gif

I will update this thread with additional comparison shots once the next couple of reviews come out ...

I just hope you're compensated for them! Thank you!
Only by the respect of my peeps here. ;) I don't accept any form of compensation for the reviews (other than keeping the light once testing is complete), as that could potentially bias my conclusions. That's why donations to my battery fund from regular members is always greatly appreciated. :wave:

I actually try to maintain a fairly discrete arms-length arrangement with all the dealers and manufacturers. For example, I typically leave it up to them to make contact and request a given light be reviewed (i.e., I don't solict reviews, again for the potential for bias). The exception is when I've received a number of requests from members to review a certain model, and have passed that along for their consideration.

That said, there is a definite selection bias in what I choose to review - my time is limited, so I only agree to review what looks interesting to me. I typically wind up turning down almost as many requests as I accept. :sweat:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
This is excellent news selfbuilt, I have a 31 and it's a good thrower. I plan on climbing a tall hill around here a photograph some shots to a reflective tape approximatey 1000 meters away.

Looking forward to hear more once your are fully set up with the new toys.

Reflective tape is a poor target choice to test throw, as it is too easily seen to be representative. I can light up tape and reflectors at distances that are simply dark except for the reflected light.

For example, a ZL SC600 has a useful range of approximately 50 yards of throw....past that, its too dark to make things out in practice. I can light up reflectorized materials over 800 meters away with it.

If I then said its throw was 800 meters, it would be very misleading. Even a white or shiny target surface can be misleading, for similar reasons.

At 1,000 meters, even in daylight, it can be hard to make out details...and in dim light, its a LOT harder.

It might be pragmatic to simply see what you can SEE well enough to feel that if USING the light to see with, that you'd find what you were looking for....and then use Google earth, etc, to see what the result was.

:D

indenial

Enlightened
Those latest beamshots comparing the TN31 to the Olights convince me that its form factor, performance and lower price make it an amazing value and - not to mention quite a design feat!

brightnorm

Flashaholic
I ordered the TN31 based on this excellent review. I think the side-by-side battery configuration will become more popular over time as more people have the opportunity to experience its advantages.

Brightnorm

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Those latest beamshots comparing the TN31 to the Olights convince me that its form factor, performance and lower price make it an amazing value and - not to mention quite a design feat!
Nice review, the comparison shot are nice compare to big lights. It makes this light good value for the money
I ordered the TN31 based on this excellent review. I think the side-by-side battery configuration will become more popular over time as more people have the opportunity to experience its advantages.
Yes, the TN31 is quite a stand-out for the size. I was amazed to see how close it throws to my stock SR90. :eek:oo:

I tend to trust the absolute numbers of the V&A lux meter a little more. Unfortunately my NIST-calibrated Extech light meter had to be re-ordered (Extech accidentally forwarded a thermocoupler datalogger to NIST on my behalf instead). :ohgeez: They are rushing the correct replacement, but even with UPS shipping, it will likely still be a couple of weeks.

For those sensitive to price, I hope to have my Crelant 7G9 review up by the end of the week. We'll see ... :whistle:

Fitz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very interested to see how it does against the 7G9, looking forward to some comparison shots. Sent a little donation for your battery fund, thanks for the great reviews!

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Just a nitpick, but I noticed in the outdoor comparison with the OLight SR 90, the TN31 is identified as a 3xXML light.

Brightnorm

brightnorm

Flashaholic
...Although it doesn't show in the runtimes above, the TN31 would flash a few warning flashes shortly before hitting the built-in battery protection circuit shut-down.

One quirk – instead of shutting off when the battery protection circuit was reached, the light dropped down to a moonlight mode (similar to Level 1). :thinking: Not sure why this happened, but it was a consistent observation. And this was different from the TN30, which completely shut-off (as expected)...

TN31 provided by Thrunite for review.

These are terrific "quirks"! Warning flashes and moonlight mode instead of the sudden death we are all too familiar with in many well-regulated liON lights. Bring on more quirks!

Brightnorm

brightnorm

Flashaholic
I received my TN31 today and just tried it out. It is truly a "throw-monster", especially monstrous considering its relatively modest size. Since its body diameter is just a few millimeters less than the TM11 I am surprised they didn't make it a 4x18650 light .

BN

weqr

Newly Enlightened
Any of you guys have a yellow tint around the hotspot on your TN31? Mine has this and its quite noticeable. Reminds me of the same that I have with my Fenix TK35.:(

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have no problems with my TN31. The tint around the hotspot is slightly warmer.

Alex1234

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just recived my tn31 and throws really good when i recived my light in the mail and took it out to hold it it was really hot because its 100 degrees today outside. I hope that dident do any harm to my light. I campared it to my fatmax and the hot spot is slightly brighter but a tad bigger. I actually thought it was going to be a lot brighter then it. Whats everyones opionin on ultrafire 18650 batteries?