Thrunite TN31 Review (1xXM-L, 3x18650): RUNTIMES, VIDEO, THROW, BEAMSHOTS and more!

DENGOH

Newly Enlightened
Re: Thrunite

There's a slight play in my TN30 so it's normal
I just got my TN30 and it has slight play either. But TN31 has slightly more play. I think it is normal for Thrunite. Hope that it is not because they didn't put some o-ring under it.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
How does this compare to the Jetbeam RRT-3? Looking for something to outperform it. Thanks

Apples and oranges...the RRT-3 has a nice floody beam with throw, the TN31 is a pretty pure thrower.

The TN31 will out throw the RRT-3, but light up a smaller area at a time.

The TN30 might be a better replacement than the TN31 would be for example, for your RRT-3 if you want to see more at a time.

So it comes down to what you mean by "outperform". The SR95UT out throws the TN31 for example, by a good margin...so if you are looking for a lot of throw, the SR95UT or Saabluster's modified TN31 for example, will be strong contenders if its range that you need.

The RRT-3 is not a thrower per se...I love mine, but, I love floody beams.

:D

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
How does this compare to the Jetbeam RRT-3? Looking for something to outperform it. Thanks

Your RRT-3 Triple XM-L has a "flood-throw" type beam.

Thus, the TN31's sibling - the TN30 Triple XM-L may outperform your RRT-3 Triple XM-L?
Else a huge Xtar Triple XM-L; forgot the model number - S1?
Else a humungus Olight SR92 6x18650 powered Triple XM-L?

On the small side, perhaps the new Nitecore TM15 Triple XM-L flood-throw-plus with 431 meters of throw, and 2450 lumens??? Though the TM15 may only just out-throw the RRT-3 Triple XM-L.
See Selfbuilt's review: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?347524

Meanwhile, the Sunwayman T60S Triple XM-L is pretty floody at 369 meters of throw.
You already know the TM11 is tiniest and floodiest at just 332 meters of throw...

Last edited:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Has anyone figured out why Thrunite rates the TN31 at only 75k cd BUT WITH A THROW of 700 meters?

All the third party tests put the throw in the 600+ M range, and ~ 115k-ish cd ranges.

?

hahoo

Enlightened
Has anyone figured out why Thrunite rates the TN31 at only 75k cd BUT WITH A THROW of 700 meters?

All the third party tests put the throw in the 600+ M range, and ~ 115k-ish cd ranges.

?

ive wondered that since day 1 also teej...
just the opposite, as most manufactures would of changed it the very minute anybody with credentials, would of came up with higher numbers, like selfbuilt...

TEEJ

Flashaholic
ive wondered that since day 1 also teej...
just the opposite, as most manufactures would of changed it the very minute anybody with credentials, would of came up with higher numbers, like selfbuilt...

Ironically, I could see NOT changing it due to SB's review, as they are (Supposedly) using ANSI lumens. That means an ANSI test...not a bounce test and a calculator would be in their ad. WE TRUST the bounce test/SB of course, but I can't see them going to court with SB over an ANSI approved lab's results, etc.

On the OTHER hand...they claim 700 M throw...which IS typically CALCULATED from the cd number.

BOTH numbers can't be correct, and, it seems that their cd # is the suspect one.

Essentially, a REAL cd measurement means knowing the PRECISE beam convergence pattern/distance so as to know at PRECISELY what distance to take the lux reading at...which THEN gets back calculated to the lux at 1 M or cd #....and which THEN gets extrapolated out to get the light's max range to 0.25 lux.

This means that an "At Home Test" is almost guaranteed to show fewer meters of max range for a strong thrower....than an ANSI test would. Its just too hard for a casual tester to spend the time required by trial and error to find that max beam convergence point, etc. Most will test at least further out than a meter...maybe 10 m, etc...but it might not be the OPTIMUM point to measure at...just better than at 1 m, etc.

So with SB's methodology being reasonably good about agreement with factory specs and other reviewer's #'s, etc...while his throw #'s esp for really strong throwers would be expected to be shy of OEM/ANSI specs...his cd readings should not be much HIGHER.

As the OEM 75k cd is a LOT lower than projected...but the OEM 700 M is in the projected ranges, I think the OEM effed up on their cd label.

ggroyal1117

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for posting the review. I purchased the TN31 and I am very satisfied with it.

gilbert47830b

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for posting the review. I purchased the TN31 and I am very satisfied with it.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi, for those owned TN31, any one facing difficult switch on problem, need to hit the flashlight to get it on?
Thanks

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Hi, for those owned TN31, any one facing difficult switch on problem, need to hit the flashlight to get it on?
That would not be good - no problem on either my TN30 or TN31. Sounds like you are having a connection problem - I would clearn all contact surfaces and make sure all screws/threads are securely tightened. If you are unable to resolve the issue with this kind of preventive maintenance, I'd contact your dealer for assistance.

Oh, and :welcome:

clspruiell

Newly Enlightened
Got my TN31 last week in the mail. This thing is INCREDIBLE! Took it out to a field and had to hold it away from my body so I wasnt looking directly down the beam. It was exposing too much moisture / trash in the air. I thought about the Fenix TK75 but I felt like the spill was too much on it and I wanted a thrower with a defined beam. Plus, this light has plenty of spill.

RemcoM

Enlightened
That would not be good - no problem on either my TN30 or TN31. Sounds like you are having a connection problem - I would clearn all contact surfaces and make sure all screws/threads are securely tightened. If you are unable to resolve the issue with this kind of preventive maintenance, I'd contact your dealer for assistance.

Oh, and :welcome:

Hi,

1 The manufacterer says only 75000 cd beam peak intensity, but 700 metres beam distance is more , over 110 000 cd.

I not understand this. Can you explain this?

2 What if you put the Tn31 on your bicycle, with turbo mode on, and you shine the lamp straight forwards into the eyes of the oncomming traffic?

3 There is another TN31, and more lumens, and more beam distance, do you know about that? Why you not have the most powerfull one?

4 How bright does the 0,5 lumens ultra low mode on yout TN31 looks to you?

Remco

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Hi,

1 The manufacterer says only 75000 cd beam peak intensity, but 700 metres beam distance is more , over 110 000 cd.

I not understand this. Can you explain this?

2 What if you put the Tn31 on your bicycle, with turbo mode on, and you shine the lamp straight forwards into the eyes of the oncomming traffic?

3 There is another TN31, and more lumens, and more beam distance, do you know about that? Why you not have the most powerfull one?

Remco

1) The cd is a measure of how well the light can throw/reach long distances. There is a formula that you can use to calculate the throw if you know the cd or the cd if you know the range it can throw, etc. The TESTS of the light indicate that it throws a LOT further than the cd rating would indicate. Doing the math, the cd rating appears to be wrong, and, too low. The ABOVE math calculates that to the get the throw it can be seen to, its cd would be closer to 110,000 cd....and not the 75,000 cd its rated for.

2) If you shine almost any fairly bright flashlight at oncoming traffic you will blind oncoming drivers, just like if you had your high beams on in a car, etc...but if you aim it down ENOUGH, you can avoid blinding people if the beam is lower than their eyes, etc. As a flashlight beam is essentially round, there is no "upper cut-off" as with a real automotive beam...and those facing it are very vulnerable to you causing too much glare.

The beam type is not ideal for a bike light, a its optimized for long range illumination, and seeing 100's of meters ahead is typically not that useful on a bike...especially when a WIDER BEAM would work better for the closer ranges you see on a bike ride. The TN30 for example would be a better bike light than the TN31, albeit the glare issue for oncoming drivers would still be problematic. Of course, on a bike, you are supposed to be with traffic not facing it...so, if on a bike path off the shoulder, etc...at least the oncoming traffic will be further away off center, etc.

3) The other TN31's came out after the review..and, one of them is a modified version of this one....and its ~ 3x the $. The TN31mb is a monster thrower, in a different league altogether.

4) It looks like a dim circle of light, about as bright as the ground would be if lit by a candle on a table above it.

- Hope that helps!

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
1 The manufacterer says only 75000 cd beam peak intensity, but 700 metres beam distance is more , over 110 000 cd.I not understand this. Can you explain this?
Their numbers are not consistent with ANSI FL-1 standard. I would recommend you rely on my actual testing results.

Frankly, the TN31 is throwier than I would want for a bicycle, but I would recommend you angle it downward to so as not to blind oncoming traffic (same is true for any light).

Because this review is 10 months old ... :whistle:

Thrunite has indicated they have some new lights they want me to review, but I'm not sure which models yet.

It's pretty dim.

BeastFlashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thrunite has indicated they have some new lights they want me to review, but I'm not sure which models yet.

Oh really, from what I gather in these forums Thrunite is far from a spectacular brand but they hit a home run with the TN31 (Then improved it to XM-L2). They're OK, but not great. So the fact that they're coming out with new stuff doesn't tempt me to hold off on the TN31 XM-L2, that may be their Mona Lisa (I could be wrong). Heard a lot of flickering complaints about TN30

tatasal

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are more flickering complaints on the TN31 (maybe because a lot more people bought it)

BeastFlashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Damn didn't know that. I am now thinking of which light would be a great middle ground between the beam angle of TK75 and TN31mb (I'm building an arsenal for nature vacations) I was thinking TN31 XM-L2 would be perfect but i didn't know it too had flicker complaints. Somewhere somebody had a post that said the TN30/TN31 design was better suited for the lower lumens of TN31. I couldn't even guess at the technical reasons why that would be true

chipdouglas

Newly Enlightened
There are more flickering complaints on the TN31 (maybe because a lot more people bought it)

I was just about to pull the trigger on a TN30, but I'm going to wait until I've read some more about this issue. Too bad.