Titanium bicycle frames

mhejl

Newly Enlightened
I'm actually leaning heavily towards the bike I linked to earlier:

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/lechamp_ti_10.htm

Back when I was researching the more economical Ti frames, I found TiSports was an OEM for a number of these, including, IIRC, Motobecane. Unfortunately, looks like TiSports web site is under renovation.

Someone keeps mentioning Ti being "noodly" - which brings up images of old Vitus 979 frames to me. Not my Habby frames but I have ridden old Lightspeeds that were (at least at my weight) - It is more a function of the design and tube set. Seven, for example custom selects tube thickness based on your weight, frame size, and even what your preferences are (if you're willing to pay).

Also mentioned was corrosion issues. My road frame has a Campy Ti seatpost (Ti on Ti is supposedly a no-no) and the cross has an Al seatpost (I don't trust carbon here) and I haven't had any corrosion or galling issues with either, or anywhere elso other than the cable stops. Aluminum brake cable ends are definitely not a good combination for my heavy sweat - I've had to dig one out of a cable stop and it wasn't fun. I only use brass cable ends now; they still corrode but come out in one piece rather than turning into a crust of oxidation. This is also where steel frames would start rusting through for me and I even had issues with CF frame clear coat here.

Oh, I do use stainless screws to hold on the plastic BB cable guides. Steel screws do rust up here but that isn't fault of the Ti frame.

The coolest thing about Ti? After minor scratches (e.g. digging out the cable end) just hit the frame with a brown Scotch-Brite pad and it looks just like new. Try that with a steel, Al, or CF frame :)