• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Titanium Makai

fyrstormer

Banned
I don't mean to detract from the new offering too much -- certainly the "turbo-heads" have their fans -- but was a compound-lense design (essentially a modified SunDrop) ever considered for the same purpose? Certainly the large reflector gets the job done, and without the pinpoint-precision necessary to align lenses just-so, but it looks like it would rather hard to carry on a belt or pocket. Lenses might be able to do the same job in a package no wider than the Haiku, though probably somewhat longer.

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now your talkin' Don! About time you added some reach to your line up! Great looking light partner.

Moka

Enlightened
I hate you Don... Just when I think I had my finances in order :crackup: lol
May have to snap one of these up...

On fyrstormer's point... I too would love a lens type thrower...

This light however... Looks Amazing :thumbsup:
lovecpf

Stillphoto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Love the design, and the thought of a head only option though titanium and a huge 3mm thick lens is going to = not for the faint of wallet.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
I don't mean to detract from the new offering too much -- certainly the "turbo-heads" have their fans -- but was a compound-lense design (essentially a modified SunDrop) ever considered for the same purpose? Certainly the large reflector gets the job done, and without the pinpoint-precision necessary to align lenses just-so, but it looks like it would rather hard to carry on a belt or pocket. Lenses might be able to do the same job in a package no wider than the Haiku, though probably somewhat longer.

The Makai is what it is. It is a "thrower" relative to the rest of the present line up and that was the intention. I am not familiar with what optics might be available off the shelf for the XP-G or if such an optic could accomplish the same type of beam and spill profile I get with the 38 mm reflector and yet enjoy a smaller diameter. I don't think there is such an animal out there but the point is moot. This design is a done deal and not based on what might be available or what might be possible.

What the beam shots presented don't illustrate is the strength of the spill portion of the beam from the Makai and this is something that I am not willing to sacrifice. In the beam shots, there is a toad on the lawn and he didn't move much during the time I needed to get the three shots. I suspect there are good dedicated "throwers" out there that will easily surpass the range of the Makai but they may not illuminate Mr. toad in the foreground and that could be a problem for Mr. Toad if you were headed his way. :D

One of the things that bothered me back when we were putting 40 - 80 lumen LED's behind reflectors such as the one in the Makai was the weakness of the spill of the beam. Now that we have LED's capable of flux levels like the XP-G the spill can reach out there much better and can be quite useful in its own right. I believe there is real utility in such a beam pattern but it is certainly not the only option nor is it the best choice for many applications. I think the XP-G has enough flux (even under driven) to merit its coupling with a reflector like this one. I state this as opinion not fact, and others are entitled to their opinions and I won't contest them.

F250XLT

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me, this is your most exciting offering in quite some time. I believe the beam pattern will be very useful, looks great in the pics.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Moku,

My integrating sphere can't accept the Makai head so I didn't take any comparative measures in terms of flux.

I expect that once I get the 3S buck converters I will be building at least a couple Haikus with them and on the 2x123 paks. I will then be able to get a decent idea of flux as it relates to drive current. I would anticipate a reasonably proportional relationship between relative flux and relative lux.

Moka

Enlightened
Moku,

My integrating sphere can't accept the Makai head so I didn't take any comparative measures in terms of flux.

I expect that once I get the 3S buck converters I will be building at least a couple Haikus with them and on the 2x123 paks. I will then be able to get a decent idea of flux as it relates to drive current. I would anticipate a reasonably proportional relationship between relative flux and relative lux.

Cheers Don, just wanted to get an idea of it, look forward to seeing the numbers... :grin2:
Whats the Flux on the 660mAh (is that the same drive as Haiku?) so I can do some maths =P

:ohgeez:

I misread. My apologies.

All good dude... I used to do the same :eek:
10k and 18k lumens would be nice (a man can dream) :devil:

Last edited:

benben_stone

Enlightened
That is one beautiful looking light!

What are the chances of a battery tube to accept 18650?

Length-wise it would give this light the greatest symmetry (I know that a 17670 would provide the same symmetry, but I have a greater supply of 18650 cells.....)

I will be anxiously awaiting further news on the development of this light to wave status!

:broke:

easilyled

Flashaholic
What the beam shots presented don't illustrate is the strength of the spill portion of the beam from the Makai and this is something that I am not willing to sacrifice. In the beam shots, there is a toad on the lawn and he didn't move much during the time I needed to get the three shots. I suspect there are good dedicated "throwers" out there that will easily surpass the range of the Makai but they may not illuminate Mr. toad in the foreground and that could be a problem for Mr. Toad if you were headed his way. :D

One of the things that bothered me back when we were putting 40 - 80 lumen LED's behind reflectors such as the one in the Makai was the weakness of the spill of the beam. Now that we have LED's capable of flux levels like the XP-G the spill can reach out there much better and can be quite useful in its own right. I believe there is real utility in such a beam pattern but it is certainly not the only option nor is it the best choice for many applications. I think the XP-G has enough flux (even under driven) to merit its coupling with a reflector like this one. I state this as opinion not fact, and others are entitled to their opinions and I won't contest them.

I would imagine that the setup I tested last night is not too dissimilar (SOB1000 with XPG/R5 in an Aleph-3 head).

I was able to compare this side by side with a DB917 with SSC-P4 LE in another Aleph-3 head.

They both threw about the same but the XPG-R5 setup provided noticeably more spill and a more useful beam as a consequence. The overall output flux is also higher but not overwhelmingly so.